PDA

View Full Version : brain fart... is a 4" gullet narrow or med?

mpsbarnmanager
Nov. 8, 2010, 09:27 AM
Wow, can't believe I'm having to ask this, sorry guys. One of those mornings I guess. Thanks! Don't flame me I'm not normally this spacey.

horseymichelle
Nov. 8, 2010, 10:36 AM
More narrow than medium, but not super narrow.

BAC
Nov. 8, 2010, 10:54 AM
I wouldn't consider a 4" wide gullet narrow at all.

flyracing
Nov. 8, 2010, 11:02 AM
You're measuring "dot to dot"? You can't actually determine the gullet size unless you already know the specs for that brand and model. Otherwise, no two saddles are the same. I have three medium saddle (2 different brands); their "dot to dot" measurements are 4 1/2, 4 3/4, and 5 3/4. All are medium trees and fit (customer fitted to) the same horse!

Because the top of the gullet has little relation to the actual tree points, it's not a reliable point to measure. It tells you more about wither clearance and weight distribution. That said, if say you are buying, for example, a devoucoux. Their standard dot to dot measurement on a completely base line saddle is known to be 4 1/2, so if you come across a saddle that is 4 3/4 it probably had the padding altered (or smooshed onto a too wide of horse) and a 4 1/4 means they had extra padding added at manufacture, but all three of those sizes are still their medium tree.

BAC
Nov. 8, 2010, 11:09 AM
Ignore my post, I didn't realize you were measuring dot to dot, which is much different.

mvp
Nov. 8, 2010, 01:23 PM
4" dot-to-dot is narrow by modern standards.

It was a pretty standard measurement for a Medium or Regular tree in the Crosby/Hermes era.

IME, many modern saddle makers think 4 1/2" is Wide. I'd call Decent Wide 4 3/4" and 5"+ Officially Wide. Others would call that 5"+ measurement Stupid Wide, though that term is meant in a technical sense rather than a disparaging one.

Bogie
Nov. 8, 2010, 01:36 PM
The gullet is the width of the channel down the center of the saddle.

Older saddles generally were made with a narrower gullet which can impinge on the horse's spine. Some saddles now are made with such wide gullets that it can cause problem because they are too wide over the horse's spine.

Measuring dot-to-dot is an inaccurate way of measuring the angle of the tree. As others have pointed out, you need to consider where the points of the tree lie.

Here are a couple of articles that explain it more thoroughly.

What size is that tree? (http://equineink.com/2010/02/21/what-size-is-that-tree/)

Evaluating saddle fit: Gullet width (http://equineink.com/2008/06/28/evaluating-saddle-fit-gullet-width/)

The tree is not the same as the gullet (http://equineink.com/2010/02/23/the-tree-is-not-the-same-as-the-gullet/)

Wow, can't believe I'm having to ask this, sorry guys. One of those mornings I guess. Thanks! Don't flame me I'm not normally this spacey.

buck22
Nov. 8, 2010, 08:10 PM
cool links! but I just read this and confuzzled myself :confused:(bold mine):

Another low tech method to estimate the width of a saddle is to clench your fist and put your knuckles up to the front of the saddle. A woman’s hand will generally measure about about four inches across. If there’s 1/2″ to 3/4″ of space on either side of your fist, the saddle is approximately a medium tree. If there’s 0″ to 1/2″ then the tree is narrow; and if there’s more than 1″ of space on either side of your fist, the tree is wide or extra wide.
I've got pretty big meat hooks for a woman and a generous measurement of my clenched fist is 3.125". Do most women really have a 4" fist? :confused:

Bogie
Nov. 8, 2010, 08:15 PM
Okay, I measured my fist. with my fingers clenched if I measure from the side of my thumb to the end of my hand it's 4".

cool links! but I just read this and confuzzled myself :confused:(bold mine):

I've got pretty big meat hooks for a woman and a generous measurement of my clenched fist is 3.125". Do most women really have a 4" fist? :confused:

buck22
Nov. 8, 2010, 09:04 PM
ahhhh, I went from side to side of my palm did not include the thumb, that would make it 4", thanks!