PDA

View Full Version : OTTB - jumping exercises

TSHEventing
Nov. 7, 2010, 08:30 PM
Anyone have any recommendations? I have a horse that is athletic, but tends to lock his back and threaten to crab on the way to the jump then will rush if I say go at all.

I have taken him back to Xrails and 2' or so with canter poles in front of the jump, but every time he sees something new he reverts to the same thing. He also gets a bit stuck in take off and doesn't raise his withers as much as I would like. I was thinking of adding low wide oxers for this (very low).

Any other exercises that might help the nervous rusher?

islndgirl
Nov. 7, 2010, 09:12 PM
Gymnastics are really good... Start with just poles then add an x to x bounce.. then a couple one strides. Then you can add like a 3 or 4 stride bending line off the last jump in the gymnastic to the left and to the right (if that makes sense!)

Also, for my ottb, we never do the same thing too many times in a row. We always change it up so he doesn't anticipate where he is going. Sometimes doing a circle (not circling in front of the jump so that you are pulling away) but to calm down in between helps.

The gymnastics are really great for making them back off and use themselves a bit more. I have done lots and lots of gymnastic exercises with mine over the years and it has really helped him. It's also a great confidence booster for the horses because they don't have to worry about the distances, and some of the rushing at the jumps might be a nervousness issue.

GPjumper
Nov. 7, 2010, 09:24 PM
three trot rails to an x, 18ft to another x...start with them just being poles on the ground and walking through, next trot through them. Then make the first element a small x rail and proceed to walk through until relax, calm and swining through his back until that is no big deal. Then trot through (obviously use your own judgment as to when the horse should be done) proceed to build the combination and focus on relaxation and staying out of the horse's way/not riding off your hand. A friend once told me there is a simple four letter word with horses that people don't like to hear...TIME. even if its going WAY back to trotting over single poles. My OTTB was the same way until I had this friend help me out. (he has a lot of experience retraining TBs)