PDA

View Full Version : Soft Tissue Injury Survey

harkington
Nov. 7, 2010, 06:58 PM
Thanks for all the help in my last thread, here is the survey. If you're not comfortable sharing the information, feel free to PM me and I will keep everything confidential. The more data the better so thanks in advance!

1) Do you jump your horse? (yes/no)
2) If yes, what height do you jump your horse?
3) Has your horse ever had a soft tissue injury? (yes/no)
4) If yes, what height did your horse jump prior to the injury?
5) If yes, what height range did your horse eventually return to jumping at?

Short Answer questions (not necessary but helpful)
5) What was the injury?
6) How long was the rest/rehab period?
7) How long has it been since the injury?
8) Has the horse been reinjured?
9) Do you feel your horse has returned to their previous level of performance?

ETA:
This is for a school statistical analysis project looking for a correlation between the height a horse is jumped and the severity of soft tissue injuries. I'm not saying one is related to the other; it is just an idea I am interested in and will actually be commited to following through and presenting the results in an interesting manner.

Ainsley688
Nov. 7, 2010, 07:03 PM
1). Yes, I jump my horse.
2). A maximum of 3'
3). Nope, no injuries of that sort in the 6 years of ownership.

Good luck on your survey!

shawneeAcres
Nov. 7, 2010, 08:08 PM
It is hard for me to answer your survey, since I have had dozens of horses over the years, some my own, some of clients. However, in all that time, I have had only one soft tissue injury, a bowed front tendon, which occurred on a horse I was eventing at training level (3'3"), however, the injury occured in a pasture. He returned to full soundness after 9 months off for rest/rehab

alteringwego
Nov. 7, 2010, 09:23 PM
1) Do you jump your horse? yes
2) If yes, what height do you jump your horse? showed 2'6"/2'9" this year but only because he's a baby green. Not because of injury
3) Has your horse ever had a soft tissue injury? just this one
4) If yes, what height did your horse jump prior to the injury? cross-rails/2' (baby)
5) If yes, what height range did your horse eventually return to jumping at? progressed past previous height. Full recovery.

5) What was the injury? Superficial digital flexor tear; treated with stem cells
6) How long was the rest/rehab period? about 8 months before he was back in full work. But my vet is VERY conservative!
7) How long has it been since the injury? 1 1/2 years
8) Has the horse been reinjured? no
9) Do you feel your horse has returned to their previous level of performance? it's like the tear never happened.

norcalammie
Nov. 7, 2010, 09:41 PM
1/ yes, I jumped him for years but don't any longer
2/ 3"6" max
3/ yes
4/ was jumping 2'6" at time of injury
5/ was jumping 3'6" after injury

5/ first injury was hind suspensory tear which he got trotting poles when he over extended over a pole
6/ conservative vet - about 6 months til started back to light work and 9 months until back to full work and jumping
7/ 5 years
8/ yes, but next was small front suspensory tear - not sure how he got it
9/ after first injury no problem returning to work, after second I never really did more than 2'6" with him and we no longer jump much as both of us have gotten older!

fearless_intheirons
Nov. 7, 2010, 11:40 PM
1) Do you jump your horse? Yes
2) If yes, what height do you jump your horse? 1.10m/1.15m
3) Has your horse ever had a soft tissue injury? Yes
4) If yes, what height did your horse jump prior to the injury? Evented to prelim
5) If yes, what height range did your horse eventually return to jumping at? 1.15m

5) What was the injury? "Tear" to the left front suspensory (more of a "hole," but still classified as a tear). Happened while turned out.
6) How long was the rest/rehab period? 6-7mos. of stall rest, hand-walking for about 1.5mos., then slowly worked back
7) How long has it been since the injury? 2 years
8) Has the horse been re-injured? No, but has superficial "puffiness" on front legs (never effected soundness, had multiple x-rays and ultrasounds)
9) Do you feel your horse has returned to their previous level of performance? Has excelled past previous level of performance and is continually moving up

Wizard of Oz's
Nov. 8, 2010, 10:18 AM
1) Do you jump your horse? (yes/no) Yes

2) If yes, what height do you jump your horse? up to 3'3" (though we used to compete higher when he was younger)

3) Has your horse ever had a soft tissue injury? (yes/no) Yes
4) If yes, what height did your horse jump prior to the injury? No higher than 3' - 3'3" and only on lesson days

5) If yes, what height range did your horse eventually return to jumping at? Working him back now but he's perfectly sound and comfortable at 2'6"-2'9". And because he's a little older I'll probably keep him at this height except for maybe the odd occasion when I jump him a little higher.

5) What was the injury? Straining of the superficial digital flexor tendon
6) How long was the rest/rehab period? About 2 months of strictly stall rest and hand walking, then slowly working at the walk and eventually trot and canter for the next two months.
7) How long has it been since the injury? 5 months
8) Has the horse been reinjured? No
9) Do you feel your horse has returned to their previous level of performance? Yes, he feels as good as ever and is happy to be back to work.

Eye in the Sky
Nov. 8, 2010, 10:23 AM
1) Do you jump your horse? When I owned one, yes
2) If yes, what height do you jump your horse? 2'9"-3'9"
3) Has your horse ever had a soft tissue injury? No

Short Answer questions (not necessary but helpful) I stopped after question #3 ;)
5) What was the injury?
6) How long was the rest/rehab period?
7) How long has it been since the injury?
8) Has the horse been reinjured?
9) Do you feel your horse has returned to their previous level of performance?

I assume the soft tissue injury was not meant to be, say, a scratch on her face from a twig, correct?

simc24
Nov. 8, 2010, 10:45 AM
2) If yes, what height do you jump your horse? Schools to 3', but he's a greenie
4) If yes, what height did your horse jump prior to the injury? Was not jumping
5) If yes, what height range did your horse eventually return to jumping at? Started from the ground up with no trouble

5) What was the injury? partially (30%) ruptured digital extensor tendon and strained suspensory ligament in the right hind
6) How long was the rest/rehab period? 45 days stall rest, 30 days small paddock; ever since then unlimited turnout in 3-5 acres. Was handwalking/riding under saddle at vet's discretion, returned to full work approx. 7 months later
7) How long has it been since the injury? 1 year, 8 months
8) Has the horse been reinjured? No, but I take very strong precautions and am very mindful of the possibility of re-occurrence
9) Do you feel your horse has returned to their previous level of performance? Yes, as he was a racehorse before. I think he worked harder then than now:)

quietann
Nov. 8, 2010, 11:51 AM
1) Do you jump your horse? (yes/no) No
2) If yes, what height do you jump your horse? No
4) If yes, what height did your horse jump prior to the injury? Right before, up to 18 inches (but I am not supposed to jump at all, so we rarely did even that); she had gone up to 3'6" (with a better rider) before I had my jumping-ending injury.
5) If yes, what height range did your horse eventually return to jumping at? No longer jumping.

5) What was the injury? Chronically inflamed LH suspensory (no tear or obvious injury; it was just about twice as big as it should have been. Vet thinks it had been that way for years)
6) How long was the rest/rehab period? Stopped riding in Feb. 2010 and she had surgery in March 2010. Was on stall rest/limited turnout/handwalking until late October when I was able to start riding her at the walk -- but she has gone lame on her right front so we are back in diagnosis hell.
7) How long has it been since the injury? Since it was diagnosed, 9 months
8) Has the horse been reinjured? Not as far as I know, we will see what the vet says.
9) Do you feel your horse has returned to their previous level of performance? Definitely not. She may be on her way to becoming a pasture puff.

RAyers
Nov. 8, 2010, 12:25 PM
I suggest you also do a scientific literature search for for this type of work as well as asking here. There are numerous studies done that can give you an idea of the statistics involved.

I bring this up just so you realize that jump height has been shown to have less an effect on injury than age of the horse, footing and shoeing for example.

To give you an idea of what researchers look at to answer the question you ask here are some of the variables that need to be considered:

Horse age Age in years
Horse gender Male or female
Number of days since horse last showed
Weight carried by horse in pounds
Weather (cloud, sun, rain)
Time in days/weeks since horse was last shod
Number of times horse was schooled over fences in the previous month
Exercise or not the day before the injury and type – walk, trot, canter, work, schooled, turned out
Exercise today Exercise or not and type – walk, trot, canter, work, schooled, turned out
Journey time* Time from leaving yard to arrival at the show
Time from arrival to competition
Travelling behaviour How the horse travelled-calm, slightly sweaty, very sweated up and excitable
Box behaviour Horses behaviour in the box at the show
Feed times Number of hours from last concentrate feed and hay/haylage feed
Interviewees employment position, e.g., trainer, assistant, head person, stable person

Here is some relevant scientific data:

Forelimb tendon loading during jump landings and the influence of fence height
L. S. MEERSHOEK, H. C. SCHAMHARDT, L. ROEPSTORFF, C. JOHNSTON
Equine Veterinary Journal
Volume 33, Issue S33, pages 6–10, April 2001

What they found was that fence height substantially influenced forces in the superficial flexor tendon but not the interosseous tendon. At the same time, the deep digital flexor tendon did not see significant increases in forces based on fence height.

Lameness and Poor Performance in the Sports
Horse: Dressage, Show Jumping and Horse Trials
(Eventing)
Sue Dyson, FRCVS
AAEP Convention, 2000

As mentioned before, footing, shoeing and travel all are discussed as part of the reasons for lamenesses in GP show jumpers.

eclipse
Nov. 8, 2010, 12:39 PM
Ok, I have owned 2 horses:

1) Do you jump your horse? Yes

2) If yes, what height do you jump your horse? 1st horse (1.15m jumpers) current horse (3ft hunters)

3) Has your horse ever had a soft tissue injury? no for both of them

JumpWithPanache
Nov. 8, 2010, 12:56 PM
My mare is currently rehabbing from her injury

1) Do you jump your horse? (yes/no) no
2) If yes, what height do you jump your horse? n/a
3) Has your horse ever had a soft tissue injury? (yes/no) yes
4) If yes, what height did your horse jump prior to the injury? 2'6, about to move up to 3'
5) If yes, what height range did your horse eventually return to jumping at? vet feels horse will make full recovery and make it to 3'

5) What was the injury? Left front mid suspensory strain
6) How long was the rest/rehab period? Horse is a confirmed stall walker, so she spent two months on strict paddock (24x24) rest with Reserpine on board, did the handwalking and tack walking, now walking for 30 minutes and trotting for 5
7) How long has it been since the injury? We had a rotational fall at the end of June 2010 and witnesses say she reached out with her left front to avoid rotating on top of me. Best guess is that's how she strained it. So far the prognosis is good and she is totally sound trotting, even with her occasional spook and canter
8) Has the horse been reinjured? no signs of reinjury
9) Do you feel your horse has returned to their previous level of performance? Obviously hasn't gotten there yet, we're being cautiously optimistic that by April 2011 we'll be cleared to start jumping conservatively again. I plan to take it all very carefully, maybe be back to showing for the Winter 11/12 season.

MichiganHunter91
Nov. 8, 2010, 01:08 PM
2) If yes, what height do you jump your horse? 3'0" max
3) Has your horse ever had a soft tissue injury? (yes/no)No

Good luck with your survey!