PDA

View Full Version : Georgina Bloomberg has a fracture in her spine

AliCat
Nov. 7, 2010, 05:03 PM
From the fall in the Gambler's Choice class. I thought that looked like an awful fall. Hope she is feeling better soon.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/11/07/2010-11-07_mayor_bloombergs_daughter_georgina_injured_duri ng_fall_from_horse_during_show_ju.html

MHM
Nov. 7, 2010, 05:22 PM
It looked like she hit the ground HARD the other night.

Best wishes to her for a speedy recovery.

STA
Nov. 7, 2010, 05:23 PM
Good wishes for a speedy recovery.

jody jaffe
Nov. 7, 2010, 05:39 PM
After reading the list of Georgina's riding accidents, I wondered what hunter/jumper riders thought about wearing safety vests. They are required for eventers, and I understand why (rotational falls, fences that don't collapse etc). Do you think people would support that rule for the jumper ring? And/or the hunter ring? If not, why not?

This will be a topic of an upcoming column. I'll be talking to the folks who make those air-bag vests.

Back to Georgina. We watched her last week at the Washington International Horse show. Wow. Wish I had a fraction of her guts, gumption and stickum. Hope she pulls through this one.

thanks
Jody Jaffe

Treasmare2
Nov. 7, 2010, 05:46 PM
Certainly like a rider to not tend to her injuries and go home only to discover she is more hurt than she thought. Equestrians seem to be a tough breed. I hope she will have a fast and total heal.

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
Nov. 7, 2010, 05:46 PM
I missed her fall, but best wishes for a comfortable and speedy recovery.

Sounds like a real accidental thing.... loose girth or broken billet?

From what the article said she's had some other injuries and recovered quite well. I really hope this doesn't turn out to be something serious.

kinnip
Nov. 7, 2010, 05:48 PM
BF has had me watching a lot of football lately. I can't help but notice Georgina walked out of the arena. Had she been a football player, she would have been laid on a stretcher, packed in ice and generally molly coddled all the way to the locker room. Get well soon tough chick!

wicked1
Nov. 7, 2010, 06:04 PM
I would love to share some thoughts on the vest idea. I have been eventing for the past 10+ years and before that I did upper level jumpers for around 10years. The worst fall that I have ever had was at an event, I had a vest on and after 8 hours in the ER I was wheeled away with a fractured pelvis (my horse walked away with just a few scratches). So even though I had a long painful recovery and I am still haunted by pain, to this day I would bet my life on the fact that I am walking because of my vest. Now would that help in the H/J field, honestly, yes and no. I do NOT own an Air Vest but I am seriously thinking about it, the problem is the added bulk of wearing yet another piece of gear. I will give you my persepective from both views, in the jumper ring (just like in our show jumping phase) the jumps come at you VERY VERY quickly, and when you are making tight turns over big fences at high rates of speed you need to have all of the mobility you can get. Out on a cross country course, even at the upper levels you will only have 2-3 fences come at you in a rapid sequence, most of the time is spent galloping. On a cross country course I can make due with a slight loss of mobility, in a jump off, I can not.

So would it make it safer for a h/j.....yes in some ways, when you fall, it can help, the new Air Vests have a neck piece that helps with the "bounce" effect that causes lots of upper neck/head trauma but a regular vest will NOT prevent a head injury and depending on how you actually hit the ground, a vest might not do anything at all. I hope that sheds some light on vests, and I wish Georgina a fast recovery!

RAyers
Nov. 7, 2010, 06:19 PM
...yes in some ways, when you fall, it can help, the new Air Vests have a neck piece that helps with the "bounce" effect that causes lots of upper neck/head trauma...

I am going to nip this misconception in the bud right now. The neck piece in an air vest has NO NECK PROTECTION WHATSOEVER. Studies have shown that the only way to prevent the neck injuries seen in horses, motorcycle accidents, car accidents are RIGID neck bolsters. As a matter of fact I can cite 3 instances when the Air Vest inflated and the person still had neck fractures.

Working in a spinal reconstruction group I can say there is little if anything that can be done to prevent spinal fractures. When you limit one part of trauma in the back and neck the forces will go through another and sadly, they ALL go through the spine. e.g. you prevent hyperflexion with a neck bolster but increase the chance of burst and compression fractures.

Reed

poltroon
Nov. 7, 2010, 06:21 PM
The Tipperary vests are very comfortable, allow you plenty of flexibility, and I would also add, can look very stylish and together. I wouldn't be thinking to require the use of a vest, but I think more jumper riders might want to consider them, especially in cases where no coat is required.

Madeline
Nov. 7, 2010, 06:35 PM
Vests in hunterland? Surely you jest. They won't even do up their helmets.

Glimmerglass
Nov. 7, 2010, 07:25 PM
Jeeze reading the comments on the linked NY Daily News article is too much. The girl is hurt and yet it brings out the depraved sitting behind their computers with far too much hate towards her father, money, horses ... some really sick folks out there.

The NY Post article is just as bad with (http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/bloomberg_daughter_falls_off_horse_l1jL8psPcbvSB0l dlA2GOI) trash comments posted by freaks.

I do hope the worst fears of any injury are unfounded and she recovers fully. A bit surprising that old Towerheads character Ken Krause is cited as her 'equestrian spokesman' in the Daily News article.

dodedo
Nov. 7, 2010, 07:44 PM
:confused: does it seem like certain people ONLY post when they have an argument to add? Not naming any names because they know who they are....Is life so boring and unfulfilled at home that they have to see if there is someone out in cyberland that will say "wow you are so knowledgeable".
Best wishes for her speedy recovery! So sorry this happened to her.
Rainy gloomy people go away and start an "I think I have something to prove to anyone who will listen" thread.....

AliCat
Nov. 7, 2010, 07:46 PM
Jeeze reading the comments on the linked NY Daily News article is too much. The girl is hurt and yet it brings out the depraved sitting behind their computers with far too much hate towards her father, money, horses ... some really sick folks out there.

The NY Post article is just as bad with (http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/bloomberg_daughter_falls_off_horse_l1jL8psPcbvSB0l dlA2GOI) trash comments posted by freaks.

I do hope the worst fears of any injury are unfounded and she recovers fully. A bit surprising that old Towerheads character Ken Krause is cited as her 'equestrian spokesman' in the Daily News article.
You don't read the post very often, do you?

I consider to be a quarter step ahead of the tabloid newspapers.

Woodsperson
Nov. 7, 2010, 07:52 PM
RAyers thanks for the information. Sometimes reality is had to separate from the hype.

SnicklefritzG
Nov. 7, 2010, 08:26 PM
One thing I thought was unnecessary in the article was the comment about her marital status. Whoever wrote the article made a point of stating that Georgina is "unmarried". Why do they have to define people in terms of their marital status? What does it matter anyway? We live in an era where women can have a nice life whether they get married or not for whatever reason. The way the article is worded it makes it sound like somehow she is less of a person for being single which is absolutely not true.

chunky munky
Nov. 7, 2010, 08:34 PM
As a previous poster wrote, it is the Post afterall...yes i agree about the marital status. Quite silly and unecessary.

Tamara in TN
Nov. 7, 2010, 08:40 PM
From the fall in the Gambler's Choice class. I thought that looked like an awful fall. Hope she is feeling better soon.

been there,done that,still feel it when it rains(or snows or a front comes in or I bend wrong ;) )

I wish the best for a speedy recovery for her !!

Tamara in TN

Addison
Nov. 7, 2010, 08:42 PM
Huge jingles from PA for a speedy recovery.

Invite
Nov. 7, 2010, 08:51 PM
Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

vineyridge
Nov. 7, 2010, 08:54 PM
Concerning the OP--

Don't we all?

Across Sicily
Nov. 7, 2010, 09:18 PM
Regarding the vest thing, there is a GP rider in Canada who wears one every time and always in competition. Considering she just won the National Talent Squad Finals I don't think the vest got in her way much! She's set the example to people in the barn, and now I don't ride without my vest... which saved my tail when I was hacking the other day and ran into some deer with my green horse. There are multiple others in the barn who don't ride without a vest. In a high risk sport such as ours, why add unnecessary risk? Accidents can be just as terrible jumping 2'6" as they can jumping 1.50m. Or flatting, for that matter!

As for Georgina... I hope she recovers quickly. That has to hurt. :(

Ghazzu
Nov. 7, 2010, 10:35 PM
If you want another data point, I was wearing a Tip when I fell 4 weeks ago and had an L-2 fracture. (compression/burst)

Calvincrowe
Nov. 7, 2010, 10:59 PM
Well, I'm a hunter rider who always "does up my helmet" and will be wearing a Rodney Powell vest from here on out. I was injured in stop-fall-land-in-the-jump at 2'9". It has been 9 months, and I'm still not good to go.

Tipperary vests aren't BETA/ASTM certified....just sayin'. (I think because they are made of separate pieces of foam, instead of sheets--allowing for possible punctures). And, vests can't save you from injury, just lessen the impact/injury. I figure it is one more tool in the box as I age and break when I fall.

I hope Georgina gets better quickly, she seems to be a lovely person and rider.

Tha Ridge
Nov. 7, 2010, 11:13 PM

Why surprising? Phelps reps Georgina and Ken is working for them, I believe.

a_quick_one
Nov. 7, 2010, 11:14 PM
As a previous poster wrote, it is the Post afterall...yes i agree about the marital status. Quite silly and unecessary.

I frankly found the "she has dated several Irish horsemen" included after her unmarried status even more ridiculous.

I do hope she has a quick and comfortable recovery.

SnicklefritzG
Nov. 7, 2010, 11:21 PM
^^^ Another magazine, sadly a more reputable one, made similar comments about Hillary Dobbs. They stated that she had a "wonderful life" because she (a) just graduated form harvard (b) has a successful career and (c) recently became engaged to a "horse dealer from Europe."

Who cares who she is engaged to. If I wanted to read that stuff, I'd pick up a copy of People magazine, not a magazine on life in new england. If I had time I'd dig up the reference...

headsupheelsdown
Nov. 7, 2010, 11:41 PM
Jingles for a speedy recovery!!

hntrjmprpro45
Nov. 7, 2010, 11:46 PM
^^^ Another magazine, sadly a more reputable one, made similar comments about Hillary Dobbs. They stated that she had a "wonderful life" because she (a) just graduated form harvard (b) has a successful career and (c) recently became engaged to a "horse dealer from Europe."

Who cares who she is engaged to. If I wanted to read that stuff, I'd pick up a copy of People magazine, not a magazine on life in new england. If I had time I'd dig up the reference...

I believe it was Warmbloods Today.

MHM
Nov. 8, 2010, 01:46 AM
I did think the picture in the Post was cute- Georgina making the "bunny ears" sign behind her dad's head! :lol:

Hope she's on the mend soon.

citydog
Nov. 8, 2010, 02:58 AM
BF has had me watching a lot of football lately. I can't help but notice Georgina walked out of the arena. Had she been a football player, she would have been laid on a stretcher, packed in ice and generally molly coddled all the way to the locker room.

It's not "molly coddling", it's medically sensible.

Hunter/JumperMom
Nov. 8, 2010, 08:40 AM
I was there when it happened, it was a strange fall, I was about 20 ft from her at the tables. She fell, and rolled you could tell she was in pain, she did get up and walk out. At first it looked like her head because she was holding it. We knew something was up when all her horses left early. Hope she gets better.

Secret Dove
Nov. 8, 2010, 09:07 AM
I was there when it happened, it was a strange fall, I was about 20 ft from her at the tables. She fell, and rolled you could tell she was in pain, she did get up and walk out. At first it looked like her head because she was holding it. We knew something was up when all her horses left early. Hope she gets better.
I saw the fall on live feed. The person that was controlling the feed zoomed in on her laying on the ground and you can tell that she was in pain and uncomfortable. I'm surprised that she didn't feel pain until Saturday morning, she sure looked like she was in pain laying on the ground!:confused: I hope she has a speedy and comfortable recovery!

leilatigress
Nov. 8, 2010, 10:20 AM
Jingles for a speedy recovery.

For some reason we all think it might hurt less in the morning when we all know its going to hurt more 9/10 times!

jody jaffe
Nov. 8, 2010, 10:22 AM
Back to the football player who gets carried out on a stretcher after he's been knocked out. Why is it that a rider at a sanctioned event is allowed to walk away after a fall bad enough to knock her out, when she's clearly in pain as posters have stated? Why is it that she's not taken directly to the hospital to check for brain bleeds, fractures, etc? Where were the EMTs? Anyone who's hit her head knows that you're not exactly making good decisions directly afterwards.

I'm not a doctor, but this doesn't seem to make good medical sense. Are there rules in football that stipulate this kind of medical care? And if so, why not for equestrians?

Did you see the NYTimes article about helmets and equestrians? It cited a CDC report that said riding is the leading cause of head injuries among ALL sports. s

Then there's the actress Natasha Richardson, who hit her head skiing, and didn't get medical attention right away. She died as a result.

Being tough and shaking it off isn't always the best route.

Eye in the Sky
Nov. 8, 2010, 11:17 AM
Why surprising? Phelps reps Georgina and Ken is working for them, I believe.

I was also surprised that they utilized a convicted sex offender as their PR. I cannot imagine that they do not know what KK did to that young man in Florida. KK even attempted to place his own PR spin on the issue by claiming it was "just" a hooker that was under-age without his knowledge until some of us did some digging and learned that it was something quite different and far more sinister.

I do wish GB luck in her recovery. Her injury sounds pretty scary and painful.

doublesstable
Nov. 8, 2010, 11:38 AM
BF has had me watching a lot of football lately. I can't help but notice Georgina walked out of the arena. Had she been a football player, she would have been laid on a stretcher, packed in ice and generally molly coddled all the way to the locker room. Get well soon tough chick!

Ditto that!! My hubby has the football package...

Hope for a speedy recovery!

doublesstable
Nov. 8, 2010, 11:48 AM

You also have to remember her father is the Mayor.... Being one myself; I tell my kids - - be prepared because if you do something like crash a car, get hurt etc. it will be all over the news papers.

Also "she" herself is a star in her industry which is a double whammy for the papers!

I wouldn't dissagree that people are freaks and speak without fully knowing what's going on. But unfortunately they are out there and we have to share the world with them.

MHM
Nov. 8, 2010, 12:28 PM
You also have to remember her father is the Mayor.... Being one myself; I tell my kids - - be prepared because if you do something like crash a car, get hurt etc. it will be all over the news papers.

Also "she" herself is a star in her industry which is a double whammy for the papers!

I wouldn't dissagree that people are freaks and speak without fully knowing what's going on. But unfortunately they are out there and we have to share the world with them.

Just now, the story popped up in the first screen on my AOL page.

We may have to share the real world with the freaks, but we don't have to read their comments online.The only place I'll ever even glance at the comments is on the New York Times site. I'm not sure if they attract fewer freaks, or they just vet the comments more carefully. Either way, it's less disturbing to read.

The Centaurian
Nov. 8, 2010, 01:07 PM
For a non-tabloid article about the accident:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/08/nyregion/08bloom.html?scp=5&sq=equestrian&st=cse

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
Nov. 8, 2010, 01:24 PM
I think the major issue seen with football that's brought their medical care up to such a level is that of repeat head injuries in a short time. A player takes a bad hit, and goes back in the second half, sustains a second concussion, and later dies.

I would imagine it's very uncommon for riders to get a concussion, get back up to ride another class, and get a second concussion.

MichiganHunter91
Nov. 8, 2010, 02:05 PM
I wish Georgina a speedy recovery.

It's disheartening to read the nasty comments on the NY article but people will always play politics and blame her for doing something she loves and who she is related to.

Every accident in the horse world should be a wake up call of how to be safer in the show ring and schooling at home and vest wise, if they could come up with neck protectors that are approved that would be great!

MHM
Nov. 8, 2010, 03:15 PM
I think the major issue seen with football that's brought their medical care up to such a level is that of repeat head injuries in a short time. A player takes a bad hit, and goes back in the second half, sustains a second concussion, and later dies.

I would imagine it's very uncommon for riders to get a concussion, get back up to ride another class, and get a second concussion.

I think if you get a concussion, and get back on immediately, you're much more likely to fall off again, whether or not you happen to hit your head the second time. I would think your judgment is much more likely to be questionable, which would probably impair your decisions in the saddle.

Isn't it a USEF rule now that you need medical clearance to show again in the same competition after a possible concussion? Not for every fall, but any fall that involves hitting your head or showing signs of mental impairment.

Of course, with horse people, sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between "mentally impaired" and "acting like a horse person"! :lol:

InWhyCee Redux
Nov. 8, 2010, 05:24 PM
I frankly found the "she has dated several Irish horsemen" included after her unmarried status even more ridiculous.

I do hope she has a quick and comfortable recovery.

We're talking about the New York Post here. Believe me, if they could have dug up a photo of her in a bikini on horseback, they would have moved the story up to Page 3.

Jingling for a speedy recovery....

SSacky
Nov. 8, 2010, 06:30 PM
I hope she's nice and healthy in no time!

I was really surprised they didn't make her wait for a stretcher, any fall onto ones spine from that height, especially if they can't get up on their own accord, should be a sign that extra precautions need to be taken. Better safe than sorry.

I think most of us have played the tough guy around horses. We've probably also payed the price for it, I know I sure have. I think the EMTs at big horse shows like this should have been smarter and taken her to hospital immediately.

Silk
Nov. 8, 2010, 06:47 PM
I think the EMTs at big horse shows like this should have been smarter and taken her to hospital immediately.

They absolutely cannot force anyone to get into an ambulance and go to the hospital. If she refused, there was nothing they could do. I am not saying this is the case, but the patient must be willing to go. They can try all they want to convince you to go, but you can always refuse.

Tiramit
Nov. 8, 2010, 10:45 PM
Here's wishing you a speedy recovery, Georgina!

You're not only an awesome rider, but you also have one of the BEST barn names ever! Rest up, heal thoroughly and we'll be seeing you in competition soon. :)

3 is the limit
Nov. 9, 2010, 12:51 AM
I think if you get a concussion, and get back on immediately, you're much more likely to fall off again, whether or not you happen to hit your head the second time. I would think your judgment is much more likely to be questionable, which would probably impair your decisions in the saddle.

I must agree that after any moderate to major unscheduled dismount, the rider may not be in the best frame of mind to make judgement calls.

I once had a crash at a jump and I thought I was okay. I did hit the ground hard and my hip did hurt, but I am one of the people who gets right back on the horse so the fear of jumping does not set in.

I must admit that my trainer told me not to get back on the horse because I was walking with great difficulty and probably too injured to do myself any good.

Anyway, I didn't realize how badly I had hurt myself until I was cantering toward the jump I had just crashed at. It occured to me about two strides out that there was a really good chance of me falling off again because I was in so much pain and couldn't balance correctly on the horse.

Thank goodness I made it over the jump without another fall.

The next day I went to see the orthopedic surgeron and found out I had fractured my sacrum. Reflecting back on this episode makes me realize how bad my judgement was that evening.

doublesstable
Nov. 9, 2010, 02:18 AM
Just now, the story popped up in the first screen on my AOL page.

We may have to share the real world with the freaks, but we don't have to read their comments online.The only place I'll ever even glance at the comments is on the New York Times site. I'm not sure if they attract fewer freaks, or they just vet the comments more carefully. Either way, it's less disturbing to read.

Yeah your right.... I don't read the crud said about me or I would really hate myself! :lol:

MHM
Nov. 9, 2010, 03:53 PM
Hope she continues to improve! :)

New article:

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/11/09/2010-11-09_shes_ready_to_ride_mayors_daughter_says_shes_ok __all_set_to_get_back_in_saddle.html

Across Sicily
Nov. 9, 2010, 03:56 PM
I must agree that after any moderate to major unscheduled dismount, the rider may not be in the best frame of mind to make judgement calls.

I once had a crash at a jump and I thought I was okay. I did hit the ground hard and my hip did hurt, but I am one of the people who gets right back on the horse so the fear of jumping does not set in.

I must admit that my trainer told me not to get back on the horse because I was walking with great difficulty and probably too injured to do myself any good.

Anyway, I didn't realize how badly I had hurt myself until I was cantering toward the jump I had just crashed at. It occured to me about two strides out that there was a really good chance of me falling off again because I was in so much pain and couldn't balance correctly on the horse.

Thank goodness I made it over the jump without another fall.

The next day I went to see the orthopedic surgeron and found out I had fractured my sacrum. Reflecting back on this episode makes me realize how bad my judgement was that evening.

Ouch. :( Glad you made it over okay.

I definitely agree on the frame of mind thing. If you scramble your brain, chances are pretty good that you don't really know what's best for yourself - and we horse people are notorious for being tough (sometimes idiotic) people who jump right back on, unless there is an actual bone sticking out or we're unconscious!

Iride
Nov. 9, 2010, 06:22 PM
A decade ago, I had exactly the same injuries as her. I was dazed after I fell but I tried to get back on. My trainer ran into the ring and stopped that from happening :winkgrin:

I should have been immobilized though. I fell on my head, but no one stopped me from walking out of the arena. I found out later that day at the clinic that I had fractured my neck and had a concussion.

Secret Dove
Nov. 9, 2010, 06:44 PM
Hope she continues to improve! :)

New article:

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/11/09/2010-11-09_shes_ready_to_ride_mayors_daughter_says_shes_ok __all_set_to_get_back_in_saddle.html
Good for her! The media made a mountain out of mole hole again. I hope she'll be back in the saddle asap!:)