PDA

View Full Version : False Advertising - vent/advice

LTLFLDF
Nov. 7, 2010, 04:12 PM
There is a lower level local trainer who on occasions finds diamonds in the rough. More often than not, either her finds are not the quality to show at the rated level or they are "ruined" (my observation) by using them as school horse and letting everyone and their brother ride them.

The local trainer brought 2 young horse over for my trainers (show primarily A shows) to "evaluate". I had the "good fortune" to observe the mare and ride the gelding.

I will keep the details basic, and understand these are my observations. Mare had a decent trot, an ok jump, seemed a little funny behind and a so so canter. Trainer stated the mare had fallen and they had been doing Chiropractics on her. The gelding had a good canter and a better jump than the mare but a less than pretty trot. He also went around with his head straight up in the air. That was kind of how he was built to go.

Neither horse was "A" show quality. My trainers made that perfectly clear. We (all trainers, riders and bystanders) even discussed that the mare would possibly make a nice local if her canter improved. We discussed that the gelding may be better suited to a lower level eventing career than a hunter based on his natural way of going. I even mentioned a new event trainer in the area.

The local trainer tried to get my trainers to "price" them. They GRACIOUSLY avoiding discussing any figures.

Well, I keep getting call from my friends who see the local trainer at shows saying my trainer says they are worth XXX and the dollar figure keeps escalating. She is even using a description of my trainer in a sales ad.

Today someone called who had been to a barn open house and had to walk out because you couldn't get a word in edgewise because all the trainer would talk about was how much their horses were appraised at etc. based on my trainers assessment.

It is all a total lie. If I wasn't at work I would have shown up and confronted her myself. Initially I was just going to let my trainers deal with it. (they have been at indoors and now are off horse shopping). But I am getting tired of everyone calling and coming up to me to say "Have you heard....."

It drives me crazy. If you really had a horse worth $200K and were selling it of $35K it would have already been sold. People who know her, know she is THAT type of person. But I can see an unsuspecting person wasting their time because of her spewing her story.

Thanks for letting me vent. Suggestions on how to handle the situation because I will probably run into her this week at the VHSA Associate Finals.

dab
Nov. 7, 2010, 04:23 PM
I wouldn't go out of my way to talk to her --

If she does approach you, you could ask if she had brought another mare and gelding out to be evaluated by your trainer -- Explain that you've been getting questioned about horses she's selling, and the horses being described are not the ones you saw her show to your trainer --

CBoylen
Nov. 7, 2010, 04:24 PM
Ignore it. These situations resolve themselves. Anyone who is going to buy an unsuitable horse is going to do so no matter what you try to do to stop them. People that know better will immediately see that the party line is a load of um, nonsense.
However, do let your trainer know so they don't volunteer to "evaluate" any more horses from that barn.

Timex
Nov. 7, 2010, 04:28 PM
Let your trainers deal with her. As much as you might want to rip her a new one, it's not your place, and would only make you look like the crazy one, regardless of her reputation.

HunterRider992
Nov. 7, 2010, 05:09 PM
Could you PM me the name? I'm curious as to if this person is who I think it is...

Haalter
Nov. 7, 2010, 06:35 PM
If this person is really advertising either horse you described at $35K but worth $200K, anyone with half a brain should smell something fishy...

Otherwise, I agree w CBoylen - don't engage with the other trainer to discuss this, but do tell your trainers what you have been hearing.

Guin
Nov. 7, 2010, 06:37 PM
Really, what does this have to do with you at all?

LTLFLDF
Nov. 7, 2010, 07:11 PM
Really, what does this have to do with you at all?

I am being called and approached by someone new on a regular basis. So that is what it has to do with me. While they are mainly calling to "laugh and snicker" about the local trainer it is still annoying to me that someone would so blatantly lie.

I agree that ignoring it and letting my trainer deal with it himself is the best way to handle it. I would not "call her out" in public but I am not sure if later this week if I am in her presence and she starts spewing this load of crap that I can keep quiet. Since I was there, rode one of the horses and watched the other one go.

While I agree that anyone with half a brain knows it is a load of crap. (I did miss speak when I said worth $200K I meant to say the potential to be worth $200K.) She must be getting a favorable response by some faction of the horse crowd or she would have moved on to another tactic.

GUIN, In case you misses the heading, my main reason for posting was to VENT. Then to receive advice, neither of which your post addressed.

AnotherRound
Nov. 16, 2010, 04:50 PM
I understand alot how you feel, and why you would like to just out the freak. However, its not your place. She is directly implicating your trainer(s) as having performed a professional service for her which they declined. However, they didn't, it seems to me, come right out and say it, and they didn't give her an honest AND professional evaluation (of how inappropriate the horses were). If they had, they would be better off now. In the end, its upt to them how they want to handle it. You may want to fill them in on what is getting back to you, when they come home from where ever, but after that drop it. Its not your fish to fry.

Now, if she was telling people that YOU rode the horses and found them xxxx, etc., then it would be your business.

We don't like to say negative things to people, but when we are in our professional role and we arne't honest and direct about our opinion, it means that we are unclear about our position on a subject. That leaves much open to interpretation by people who are looking for ways to con and misrepresent to make a buck. It certainly would behoove your trainers to be more protective of their reputation by not getting roped into things like this (learn to say no) or if they do, by being honest and straightforward about their opinion/evaluation rather than vague. Not easiest thing, I know.

It does seem like it was a somewhat official evaluation session performed; you were asked to ride one of the horses. The trainers should have been more clear to the owner what it was that she had, and then they would have something to fall back on, as to how they viewed the animal.

Eh, anyway, leave it alone. Its there's to tackle.

AnotherRound
Nov. 16, 2010, 04:54 PM
Personally, every time someone called to gossip about it, I would say, "I know nothing about it, its not my place to say anything, I just rode the horse." and change the subject or go on and do something else. Don't feel you have to explain for your trainers. In fact, its not your job to relate any details about it, it was a service your trainers performed and you shouldn't make comments on it. Remember your own reputation - if someone had their horse evaluated by your trainers, you wouldn't want them to think you would gossip about it!

Cheers. Hard stuff to figure out. Hope you're doing better!