PDA

View Full Version : Wow! Horse Show Pic Pricing

Fun Size
Nov. 6, 2010, 11:35 PM
Ok, I know this one has been done to death. So I'm sorry about that, but I am pretty bummed out. I just really started looking at the pics from the last horse show I did, and I was really proud of myself.

My husband doesn't have the greatest timing for pics in the ring, so I generally like to get a few anyway, especially since this was our first big show, I was pleased with how we did, and I found several I wanted.

A 3x5 is $55. A copy of the digital file in high resolution is $300. I really really wanted a few of these, but my entire budget for pictures from the show was really only $150 or so. I'm really bummed. :( I don't really want something to hang on the wall, but something to put in online photo albums, and maybe put into a printed photo book of our year. Even the low res file is $100.

I had completely intended to spend money with them, the photographer was super nice, did an excellent job, and I was pretty impressed with them.

I'm kicking myself now, because I probably could have flown in the photographer that did my wedding for less than the cost of the digital files of all the pictures that I want. Not that I had the budget for that...

I don't know what I'm suggesting. I'm going to email them and see if they have any specials coming up, or anything else available. Argh, I guess is all I can say. Just a rant looking for sympathy.

AliCat
Nov. 6, 2010, 11:52 PM
I think that they are all generally overpriced. Unless I was showing somewhere like say Devon, I would not be eager to pay those prices. We are very, very fortunate that we have a horse show dad with a great amount of talent and a fancy camera. He takes wonderful pics and hosts them on the Kodak site.

Maybe splurge for 1 this time, and look for alternatives next time.

dags
Nov. 7, 2010, 12:00 AM
Different companies have very, very different pricing structures.

MOST will sell you an "online" image, no, it won't be 300dpi. If you truly don't plan to hang it on the wall, only want it for online albums you honestly don't have any need for the full resolution. Every album you upload it to will auto condense it down to 72dpi.

I think you're asking the wrong question - you really don't want the "full rights" - that IS expensive. You just want something to post online. MOST photographers sell that for a very reasonable price.

But, I can think of one in particular that is very difficult to deal with in this area.

jumper27
Nov. 7, 2010, 01:16 AM
I can sympathize with you. I showed at Harrisburg this year and did not bring my camera because I knew my mom would be too nervous to film. The video of one round and an awards presentation (2 copies of the DVD) was $198!!!!!! When the man said the total, I almost fell over! Then, they want an extra $150 if you want to put it on YouTube...uh i'll pass haha

Then, I went to the photo booth and the pictures that I wanted would have totalled to $180+!

I have definitely learned from this experience and will be bringing my own camera and recruiting someone to take pictures/film in the future.

FrenchFrytheEqHorse
Nov. 7, 2010, 02:27 AM
I have definitely learned from this experience and will be bringing my own camera and recruiting someone to take pictures/film in the future.
This is why the professional pictures are so expensive (and I'm not implying you SHOULDN'T bring your own camera/photographer- by all means, do it!).

The advent of easy to use, high quality digital cameras has made the job of professional sporting event photographers almost obsolete. The average show mom can take a comparable picture with just a little practice.

sptraining
Nov. 7, 2010, 10:57 AM
As with everything, it's about trying to figure out the *correct* pricing in order to encourage people to buy your product.

Another reason why it's nice to have mom/husband/brother with her camera take pictures is that then you own them and don't have to worry about copyright and all that legal stuff.

The thing is though (and I am speaking from experience), you will regret not getting at least one to commemorate the ocassion. Buy your favorite 5x7 and frame it. You'll regret not doing it.

two sticks
Nov. 7, 2010, 04:32 PM
Also, if you let the show management know that you are unhappy with the photographer they use, perhaps they will look into finding a different photographer?

I know this has been discussed to death, but it is hard to find a balance of what to charge that both encourages folks to buy and allows the photographer to make enough money to make it worthwhile to be there shooting. Horse show photography is definitely no longer the business it once was.

Also, there are a lot of photographers out there who do private barn shoots, with varying price ranges.

Fun Size
Nov. 7, 2010, 06:24 PM
I've made a list of the 15 or so shot that I like, and I'm having my trainer help me out picking 1-2. I'll get at least one.

The 72 dpi digital copy is still $100, so I think I would rather have 2 prints for $55 each because then at least I would have 2 instead of 1.

It IS frustrating, because I really want them all!

Most photographer's prices I have looked at and thought "sheesh, that's steep but I get it." This one, however, made my eyes pop out of my head.

I will say they were very good photographers. So that was nice.

RugBug
Nov. 7, 2010, 06:51 PM
The advent of easy to use, high quality digital cameras has made the job of professional sporting event photographers almost obsolete. The average show mom can take a comparable picture with just a little practice.

In theory, but I haven't seen many amatuers that equal the good pros. I have seen many amateurs equal the not-so-good pros, though.

Nikki^
Nov. 7, 2010, 07:18 PM
This is why the professional pictures are so expensive (and I'm not implying you SHOULDN'T bring your own camera/photographer- by all means, do it!).

I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one.

I work for Flashpoint on the side and I can tell you that Greg's pictures are way better then your average show mom can take. Even when I was taking them for fun, I still didn't know how to pick out my spots. I had the timing but my angles needed some help.

With the knowledge Greg shared with me I was able to improve my skills 10 fold. My pictures even made the spread in COTH during the GulfPort Hunter Derby a few years back.

You can check out my pictures (for fun and practice) here that I took at WEF:

WEF 2010 (http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php?aid=2046090&id=1135158665)

Here's some I took of my trainer (he's on the grey horse), Ashley and Bernadette. from Gainsville:

Gainsville (http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php?aid=2084914&id=1135158665)

The quality of camera and lenses used by the pros are far better then the average person but the real magic comes from:

Editing and final product.

Again, Greg is by far the best because he does everything in house and in fine quality. He knows photo shop inside and out plus he invented the "ear fix" and that backwards shot that other photographers try to copy but fail miserably.

Then you have us photographers who stand out in all sorts of weather 12 hours plus taking pictures all day on end. It is not as easy as it looks and takes a lot out of us. ALso you have those who steal the proofs off the website instead of paying for the pictures. This also drives up the prices.

SkipChange
Nov. 7, 2010, 07:44 PM
Flashpoint is great.

Also, they've got some fantastic prices with economy digital files starting at $35. And then some much more expensive options. But that $35 digital choice makes me spend way more money with them than I would if their prices started at say $55. If there are pictures that I like, but aren't *amazing* I'll still buy them at $35 & for the *amazing* photos I might go for a more expensive option--thus they make more money.

RugBug
Nov. 7, 2010, 07:52 PM
I work for Flashpoint on the side and I can tell you that Greg's pictures are way better then your average show mom can take. Even when I was taking them for fun, I still didn't know how to pick out my spots. I had the timing but my angles needed some help.

With the knowledge Greg shared with me I was able to improve my skills 10 fold. My pictures even made the spread in COTH during the GulfPort Hunter Derby a few years back.
<snip>

The quality of camera and lenses used by the pros are far better then the average person but the real magic comes from:

Editing and final product.

Again, Greg is by far the best because he does everything in house and in fine quality. He knows photo shop inside and out plus he invented the "ear fix" and that backwards shot that other photographers try to copy but fail miserably.

Then you have us photographers who stand out in all sorts of weather 12 hours plus taking pictures all day on end. It is not as easy as it looks and takes a lot out of us. ALso you have those who steal the proofs off the website instead of paying for the pictures. This also drives up the prices.

Yep. While I HATE the prices, I've never seen ammie shots that live up to the good pros. They might be "good enough" but they just aren't the same quality.

Even with confo shots/photo shoots, you've got to know the angles, how to get ears forward (I just had to tell a pro wedding photog after he kept saying he got one ear forward, that "one wasn't good enough" and had to put him in the right spot so my horse's head wasn't distorted or his back didn't look 5 miles long), etc. There is an art to a good horse shot tha most ammies just don't have. And because of that, I pay the pros prices...and look at the lovely shots on my wall 6 years later and think what a beautiful horse I have....instead of what an awkwardly put together, 'm'eh' jumper. :lol:

Vandy
Nov. 7, 2010, 08:06 PM
In my experience, prices for digital files w full rights are all over the place from crazy high to surprisingly affordable...and not necessarily reflective of the quality of the photographer. I recently bought the full rights to 5 or 6 images from a very well known photographer for the low price of $60 per image...And would have done the same with another photographer, but it was $300 for just one image, so I passed. I would have gladly spent $300+ with the second photographer if it had been for 5 shots rather than one...instead, I spent nothing. Now, I think that once digital has been around for a few more years, pricing will become more standardized across the industry. Sooner or later, those photographers who charge $300 and up for one high res shot will realize that their bottom line would be better if their rates were lower. JMHO.

Fun Size
Nov. 7, 2010, 08:34 PM
Exactly! Vandy, I would happily pay $60 per high res image. That seems pretty fair and reasonable. $300? That was an entire day's worth of entries, and I was able to win a pretty cooler for Max out of it!

I'm being silly, but I think we all agree that we would spend more on reasonable prices instead of 0 on really crazy pricing.

FrenchFrytheEqHorse
Nov. 7, 2010, 08:56 PM
Whoa, whoa, whoa. First, I agree wholeheartedly that the average amateur photographer doesn't even come close to rivaling a good, reputable professional. It's absolutely clear that the reputable, well-established pro photographers in this business are oozing with talent, and the fact that they've survived for decades doing what they're good at makes that pretty clear.

I'm talking about the weekend-warrior, schooling show type photographers that are taking pictures of a horse show, a swimming competition, a lacrosse game, and a high school prom all in one weekend. They're charging $85 for a 5x7, and the average horse show mom has a better eye for what makes a good horsey-type picture. I recently met a photog in MD that told me the "trick is to put the camera on 'burst' mode so you get a bunch of options for the customers". Ummm... really? We're paying $85 for you to do that?

No one is arguing that Randi Muster isn't fantastic at what she does. No one thinks James Leslie Parker should hang up his hat and retire. I do, however, think it's reasonable to be frustrated with the cost of average pictures from the average horse show photographer. One solution to that problem is to find yourself your own, personal average photographer that's not charging your $85/print.

Dakotawyatt
Nov. 7, 2010, 08:57 PM
I just did my FIRST horse trial. Got NO good pictures of xc; heck, got NO pictures of xc. Checked out the low res cd prices of my pics ... 20 of them ... $700!!!!!!!!:eek::eek: HOLY COW. Guess my event will live forever in my mind with no proof.:no:

GreystoneKC
Nov. 7, 2010, 09:41 PM
I also think the prices are ridiculous and I am a photographer. Not a pro equine photographer, but I am now in clubs and enter contests and juried exhibits and things of that sort. I have many friends who are excellent photographers who I am grooming to be pro photogs at shows who would gladly do it for much less than the current flock and could do just as good a job. I admittedly do not have the gear setup for doing show photography, but I have an excellent grip on what it costs to take, edit, and produce high quality photos as well as the travel it takes to get them. I STILL think a vast majority of photogs are overpriced and would catch WAY more flies with honey than vinagre, if you catch my drift! ;)