PDA

View Full Version : How would you explain GM to non horsey person?

comingback
Nov. 6, 2010, 08:11 PM
My DH and I are watching Syracuse and George Morris came in to congratulate the young riders and I was trying to explain who he was...I feel like I failed miserably :-) Who could I relate him to outside of the horse world?

luckeys71
Nov. 6, 2010, 08:15 PM
Is he a football fan? Vince Lombardi.

comingback
Nov. 6, 2010, 08:22 PM
Thanks.....right up his alley. Of course I just got a crash course in Lombardi's career :-)

SnicklefritzG
Nov. 6, 2010, 08:25 PM
Bono:GM::Rock:H/J

jaslyn1701
Nov. 6, 2010, 08:25 PM
As the EquiGod. Nuff said!:)

QM2
Nov. 6, 2010, 08:41 PM
GOD.

Peggy
Nov. 6, 2010, 08:49 PM
For organic chemists, Robert Woodward, but it's an analogy that only works for a very small percentage of the population.

With GM (and RW) it's not just their direct accomplishments, but the people they have trained and the people they have trained.

comingback
Nov. 6, 2010, 08:50 PM
These are great. I also called him the god father:)

jetsmom
Nov. 6, 2010, 08:54 PM
Like God but with better equitation and less forgiveness.

SnicklefritzG
Nov. 6, 2010, 08:55 PM
Good point about GM being a teacher of other great teachers.

An analogy for physicists: Fermi

Not only was Fermi an outstanding scientist, a lot of people who did their PhD's under him became very famous as well.

For Chefs: James Beard
An amazing chef and a great educator. Wrote many definitive works on cooking and also trained many other great chefs.

Midge
Nov. 6, 2010, 09:06 PM
Bobby Knight

Epiphany
Nov. 6, 2010, 09:14 PM
USA gymnastics coach Bela Karoli.

billiebob
Nov. 6, 2010, 09:24 PM
I once compared GM's Jumping Clinic to getting free throw advice from Michael Jordan, in a college paper comparing Practical Horseman and Horse Illustrated (magazine journalism major). :)

Coreene
Nov. 6, 2010, 09:29 PM
Simon Cowell.

heatherny2
Nov. 6, 2010, 10:01 PM
the Gordon Ramsey of the equestrian world.:lol:

Haalter
Nov. 6, 2010, 10:17 PM
Simon Cowell.:lol: :lol: :lol:

Kyzteke
Nov. 6, 2010, 10:23 PM
Is he a football fan? Vince Lombardi.

But was VL a sports great as a player or just a coach?

GM was a stand-out athlete himself, then went out to be a stand-out teach, and then a stand out coach as well.

Plus he is known as an excellent WRITER and has published a number of books on "his" sport. So he is considered an expert in the "book learnin'" dept too.

So what sports figure has done all of that?

MHM
Nov. 6, 2010, 10:29 PM
But was VL a sports great as a player or just a coach?

GM was a stand-out athlete himself, then went out to be a stand-out teach, and then a stand out coach as well.

Plus he is known as an excellent WRITER and has published a number of books on "his" sport. So he is considered an expert in the "book learnin'" dept too.

So what sports figure has done all of that?

All good points.

GM did say today that he didn't invent anything himself, he just passed along what he learned from the great people who taught him.

In particular, he acknowledged that his own horse "bible" was Gordon Wright's book, "Learning to Ride, Hunt, and Show."

GM certainly has done a huge amount for the sport, but I've heard him credit his own instructors many, many times. :)

TalkIsCheap
Nov. 6, 2010, 10:33 PM
As Arnie Palmer with a bit of David Leadbetter thrown in.

snaffle635
Nov. 6, 2010, 10:33 PM
So funny you brought this up - I had the exact same conversation today!

I said 'he literally wrote the book on our sport'. Yes, I know many other people have written great books on riding, but that explanation seemed to get the point across.

Tha Ridge
Nov. 6, 2010, 10:54 PM
I'd liken him to John Madden in football. Madden was a player, a coach, a commentator AND has written books—basically all of the same things George has done, at the same level, just in a different sport.

Big_Grey_hunter
Nov. 6, 2010, 11:01 PM
Chuck Norris

workl8
Nov. 6, 2010, 11:02 PM
Before John Wooden passed away my husband described him as the John Wooden of the horse world.

Not So Practical Horse(WO)man
Nov. 6, 2010, 11:04 PM
Barbara Walters.

MHM
Nov. 6, 2010, 11:08 PM
I'd liken him to John Madden in football. Madden was a player, a coach, a commentator AND has written books—basically all of the same things George has done, at the same level, just in a different sport.

Now George just needs to come up with a video game! :lol:

Tha Ridge
Nov. 6, 2010, 11:21 PM

:yes: I'd play it!

MHM
Nov. 6, 2010, 11:31 PM

Me, too!

Especially if he did the voicework himself. :lol:

Wanderluster
Nov. 6, 2010, 11:57 PM
Barbara Walters is pretty good , maybe Walter Cronkite ?

SnicklefritzG
Nov. 7, 2010, 12:12 AM

On a related note, one of the Super Mario games on the old playstation was capable of doing leg yields and a sort of half pass. I couldn't play for more than a few minutes though because the 3D made me seasick...

danceronice
Nov. 7, 2010, 12:13 AM
If they're ballroom dancers, Walter Laird--competitor, but more influential as a teacher, and a teacher of teachers, and wrote the book on Latin dance. Or Peter Eggleton, if they're Standard dancers (and insist on the comparison being someone who's still alive.)

I'm trying to think of a skating analogy and...you know, nothing's coming. Except maybe Tamara Moskvina, who basically rewrote the book on Russian pairs skating (which basically WAS pairs skating for forty years.) But most of the top coaches weren't necessarily great skaters themselves.

katydidn't
Nov. 7, 2010, 07:10 AM
Recently had to do the very thing.... describe him to a non-H/J person. That person offered up Bela Karoli, and I said "YES!". Pretty good comparison. Tough, somewhat controversial yet highly sought-after, and extremely successful.

lauriep
Nov. 7, 2010, 05:44 PM
All good points.

GM did say today that he didn't invent anything himself, he just passed along what he learned from the great people who taught him.

In particular, he acknowledged that his own horse "bible" was Gordon Wright's book, "Learning to Ride, Hunt, and Show."

GM certainly has done a huge amount for the sport, but I've heard him credit his own instructors many, many times. :)

All true, but what he did was to take the best from ALL of his teachers and put it together in a system that makes great riders and horses. All of the classical riding he has learned from hunter teachers, jumpers, dressage, eventing has been rolled into his simple system of correct riding. He may not have invented any of it, but he has made it into a workable system that works.

J. Turner
Nov. 7, 2010, 06:07 PM
If they're ballroom dancers, Walter Laird--competitor, but more influential as a teacher, and a teacher of teachers, and wrote the book on Latin dance. Or Peter Eggleton, if they're Standard dancers (and insist on the comparison being someone who's still alive.)

I'm trying to think of a skating analogy and...you know, nothing's coming. Except maybe Tamara Moskvina, who basically rewrote the book on Russian pairs skating (which basically WAS pairs skating for forty years.) But most of the top coaches weren't necessarily great skaters themselves.

For his acerbic wit and accomplishments, Dick Button. Whenever I hear Dick Button's commentary I think about what George would say if he were commentating the Maclay Finals or even a Grand Prix. I remember Dick Button saying on multiple occasions, "The leg position on her layback spin is absolutely horrible." Can't you hear him saying that? "Her leg position is fundamentally incorrect. She needs to go back to crossrails."

Bluey
Nov. 7, 2010, 06:15 PM
GM practically invented "HUNTERS" and "EQUITATION" as it is today.:cool:
He took some old standards and expanded on them.:yes:
For good most of it, some not so good.;)

J. Turner
Nov. 7, 2010, 06:59 PM

For his acerbic wit and accomplishments, Dick Button. Whenever I hear Dick Button's commentary I think about what George would say if he were commentating the Maclay Finals or even a Grand Prix. I remember Dick Button saying on multiple occasions, "The leg position on her layback spin is absolutely horrible." Can't you hear him saying that? "Her leg position is fundamentally incorrect. She needs to go back to crossrails."

Jumpthemoon16
Nov. 7, 2010, 07:07 PM

I certainly hope GM hasn't had anything to do with horse video games.. The "riding" might give the man a heart attack!!

http://www.gamezone.com/images/gamezone/30/4/65/s30465_nds_1.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_jp-Y_pSujQA/SPzirgym-cI/AAAAAAAAP38/b64D_ZZEJmM/s1600-h/my+horse+and+me+pc+video+game.jpg

http://www.juegomania.org/Horsez/foto/ps2/2/2266/2266.jpg/Foto+Horsez.jpg

SnicklefritzG
Nov. 8, 2010, 12:44 AM
I certainly hope GM hasn't had anything to do with horse video games.. The "riding" might give the man a heart attack!!

http://www.gamezone.com/images/gamezone/30/4/65/s30465_nds_1.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_jp-Y_pSujQA/SPzirgym-cI/AAAAAAAAP38/b64D_ZZEJmM/s1600-h/my+horse+and+me+pc+video+game.jpg

http://www.juegomania.org/Horsez/foto/ps2/2/2266/2266.jpg/Foto+Horsez.jpg

I dare someone to send that in for a photo evaluation (is it practical horseman?)

MHM
Nov. 8, 2010, 01:54 AM
He may not have invented any of it, but he has made it into a workable system that works.

Yes, when I've seen him teach, I've often been struck by the fact that he doesn't necessarily say anything you haven't heard before, but he has a gift for saying exactly the right thing at exactly the right time. He really hits the nail on the head. Sometimes with force. ;)

Anyplace Farm
Nov. 8, 2010, 10:49 AM
Oh, this has certainly been heard around my household, "Honey, he's like....GOD."

mvp
Nov. 8, 2010, 02:26 PM
He's the anointed and long-reigning Queen of the American Hunter Jumper world. Like Victoria, but different.

hey101
Nov. 8, 2010, 03:09 PM
You know those Dos Equis "The Most Interesting Man in the World" radio ads? Without fail, when I hear one, I think of GM! :lol:

kch7238
Nov. 8, 2010, 03:22 PM
The Great and Powerful Oz.

used2
Nov. 8, 2010, 03:24 PM
Like God but with better equitation and less forgiveness.

priceless!

pds
Nov. 8, 2010, 05:15 PM

It'd probably be "X" rated. :lol:

867-5309
Nov. 8, 2010, 06:58 PM
Anna Wintour. Think Miranda Priestley from The Devil Wears Prada.

InWhyCee Redux
Nov. 8, 2010, 07:14 PM
I'm sure someone has said this, but.... the Simon Cowell of the EQ World.

danceronice
Nov. 8, 2010, 08:38 PM

Yeah, but Unca Dick doesn't coach. He's more a TV celebrity nad what he says doesn't have much sway in how people skate. Which is, weirdly enough, where most of the gold medalists seem to end up--I can't think of many/any who've gone into coaching, at least in the US. Dick, Peggy Flemming, Scott Hamilton are/were TV commentators and Scott runs Stars on Ice, Dorothy Hamil's done some commentating and some shows, Sarah Hughes went to college, Tara Lipinski's got an ill-advised acting "career", Brian Boitano does some assistant coaching but is mostly a personality, and Michelle Kwan's in grad school for international relations and moonlighting for the US State Department. The big winners just don't seem to go into coaching (though Brian Orser was Yu-Na Kim's coach, though not any more.)