PDA

View Full Version : What halter options do you like?

Showjumper28
Nov. 6, 2010, 05:14 PM
Since we are ordering halters for our business tomorrow. I wanted some opinions from you cothers on your halter likes/dislikes. Especially concerning fixed rings and adjustable chins. So let me know your opinions! Thanks!

Big_Grey_hunter
Nov. 6, 2010, 07:08 PM
I HATE adjustable chin straps. They make perfect straps for playing tug of war during halter tag. Even the sturdiest ones end up breaking in a few weeks, but the non adjustable ones offer less to grab a hold of and thus last longer.

Aelfleah Farm
Nov. 6, 2010, 07:35 PM
I have Arabs and Arab crosses. An adjustable chin is a necessity to prevent the nose from just being completely huge. What I don't like is having to both add holes to the strap AND find some way of securing the bite of the strap. With nylon halter, this is a as simple as cutting it off and melting the edges, but with leather halters... it requires either a harness repair shop to restitch the strap or just tucking the bite through the halter square. Not pretty!

Sing Mia Song
Nov. 6, 2010, 08:40 PM
I used to think that adjustable chins were the only way, but then I got a horse who came with a fixed-chin halter. So much easier! The ring on the adjustable chin always gets hung up on the buckle and it's a huge PITA. Plus, as mentioned before, it becomes too tempting for tug of war. My horses rarely wear halters other than when crosstied, but for those occasional times they are out in them, they inevitably get into a game of face fencing.

I just wish my fixed-chin halter had come with a throatlatch snap.

harkington
Nov. 6, 2010, 08:55 PM
They make perfect straps for playing tug of war during halter tag. Even the sturdiest ones end up breaking in a few weeks, but the non adjustable ones offer less to grab a hold of and thus last longer.

I have to agree here- my old pony was an absolute heathen when it came to halters so after much experimentation it was decided that his somewhat dainty little Arabian nose would just have to be swimming in his halter as he was going through too many.

On a different note, my new guy has an even smaller nose-to-crown ratio and looks absolutely ridiculous in a halter that fits him everywhere but the nose. So, adjustable nose band it is for him.

BAC
Nov. 7, 2010, 09:28 PM
I much prefer the English chin version if I know its going to fit. I don't care for the adjustable chins but sometimes its a necessity for those horses where the English chin is just going to be too large.

touchstone-
Nov. 8, 2010, 12:09 PM
Prefer the fixed ring for control reasons. When I pull on the leadrope, I don't want all that extra play. Also prefer it for aesthetic reasons, though I do see the utility of the adjustable chin for those whose horses have narrow faces.

fair judy
Nov. 8, 2010, 12:27 PM
depends on the use for the halter.

leather is a must. i don't mind an adjustable grooming halter, but dislike them for shipping or turnout. fleece won't fit well over the buckle on shipping.

Go Fish
Nov. 8, 2010, 03:51 PM
! The ring on the adjustable chin always gets hung up on the buckle and it's a huge PITA.

This absolutely drives me nuts. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I'm thinking it ain't too safe, either.

TrotTrotPumpkn
Nov. 8, 2010, 05:05 PM
My horse needs a cob chin strap and an oversize poll strap. I tell him it's his big brain--and that he's not wierd.

So adjustable it is. *sigh*

Leather of course.

Actually for day-to-day I just use a rope halter. *gasp* My barnmates converted me to the dark side last year. They offer so much more control and it works on every horse.

BeastieSlave
Nov. 9, 2010, 11:50 AM
I like an adjustable chin strap on shared halters that have to fit a variety of horses, but I prefer a well-fitted fixed ring. It looks cleaner and makes cleaning so much easier!

It's not just small noses that benefit from adjustable chins. My young HAN moose has such a large head that he can't graze comfortably in the OS halter with fixed chin strap that he's currently wearing. He can't open his mouth as wide as he'd like! Poor baby obviously needs a custom halter ;)