PDA

View Full Version : Indoor arena sizes.

bigeqxo
Nov. 6, 2010, 01:45 PM
We're finally getting a ClearSpan indoor for the winter (THANK GOD!) but we're a bit stuck, so I figured I'd get some advice from the wonderful people of the forums.

What do you think would be the smallest I could go? I'm definitely not talking about something I can only fit a 20 meter circle in. I want something big enough for groups of around three to ride in together, and I also want to be able to jump courses in there.
After the winter, we will expand, and have boarders, so we want something big enough that they can ride in comfortably, but something that doesn't break the bank.
Ideas? :)

hntrjmprpro45
Nov. 6, 2010, 01:57 PM
I wouldn't go any smaller than 80' wide and 120' long approximately. Those are the dimensions that we are going to go with but I ride mainly younger hunter jumpers (like 3-5 year olds) so I like to have some room to balance. I think you could go smaller if you were only looking to use it a few times here and there but I think it would be a lot of wear and tear on the horses legs if you use it an lot.

headsupheelsdown
Nov. 6, 2010, 02:09 PM
I have 60x120, IMO, I would never build less than 72x140 if doing it again. It is REALLY hard to fit jump lines in 120 foot length. Width also adds a lot of cost to the project. 60x200 might be cheaper or equal in cost to 80 by 120. The wider the truss, it goes up in cost greatly/geometrically... 60 feet wide isn't bad but I have often just wanted a teeny bit more room. BUT, If I had to choose between adding another 12 feet in width versus 40 in length, I would take the 40 in length to get jump lines in there.

paintmare
Nov. 6, 2010, 02:11 PM
Hm, 80 x 120 seems awfully small for a group of 3.

I sometimes find it difficult to ride with 3 in the ring where I board and it's a bit over 80 x 180.

horsepoor
Nov. 6, 2010, 04:16 PM
I have ridden at barns with rings about 75x150 and that is probably the smallest I would go if I intended to jump. We did lessons with groups of 3+ and it worked fine. It is ok esp if you can also get outside or to a bigger ring once in awhile. Used to be we would jump all winter inside, then go to a show in the spring and it was like, wow, it takes forever to canter around the ring! Then you go back inside and bounce off the walls...but we made it work.

Bravestrom
Nov. 6, 2010, 04:17 PM
mine is 65 by 160 and I definitely would not go any smaller - I would have loved to go 80/180 but the cost jump was phenomenal and we are just private so it didn't seem worth it.

here is the outside

http://www.prospectequinefarms.com/images/facility/barn.jpg

and here is the inside

http://www.prospectequinefarms.com/images/facility/100-0007_IMG.JPG

suniday
Nov. 6, 2010, 04:25 PM
If I were able to build an indoor, I would go as wide as possible to start and sacrifice length. You can always add length later on down the road, but you cannot add width. If you have boarders, I would not go less than 75' wide and preferably at least 80' wide. I think at 82 or 84 is when you have to go to steel trusses.

JMHO.

skyy
Nov. 6, 2010, 05:36 PM
62 x 130 is too small. Trust me on this one.

enjoytheride
Nov. 6, 2010, 08:33 PM
I have a 60 X 120. It's fine for 3 people if the horses turn and the riders pay attention. I jump courses, but nothing with more then a 3 stride and there are lots of tight turns. It's better then freezing to death though. If that's the biggest you can afford don't let it hold you back.

bigeqxo
Nov. 6, 2010, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the help! We can afford 80x120 but not much bigger. It sounds like we really don't need to now. We have a nice ring out front (just needs new footing) that I can ride in.. the arena would pretty much only be for winter (because we get snow), and a place to ride if I need to while it's raining.
In terms of length, we might go a bit longer because it doesn't seem like that's the biggest factor in the price. What do you guys think of 80x140?

headsupheelsdown
Nov. 6, 2010, 09:06 PM
80x140 is awesome!!

Cruise Control
Nov. 6, 2010, 09:28 PM
That is just about the size of my indoor arena..it is 80 x 150 and it is just perfect for us.

toomanyponies
Nov. 7, 2010, 12:09 AM
If you want to jump any kind of line you need - at 155, I can just fit a 4, 3 is nice. If you can pull off 70x160 or 165, you're golden, although 80x180 would be fab. . .but MUCH more expensive.

bigeqxo
Nov. 7, 2010, 12:17 AM
Seeing as I have a jumper, a pony that needs a topline, and a greenie who I'm just starting to jump, I don't think I'll be doing too many lines with over even two strides (all for seperate reasons). I'm still thinking the 80x140 would be good (:

Romany
Nov. 7, 2010, 10:44 AM
Great timing - I was just about to ask the same question, as we're working on the specs for a steel-framed building that'll have stalls at one end, storage at the other, which can become an indoor if we feel like adding length at a later stage.

I'm also curious - how high do you feel the walls need to be?

Again, this is for an indoor that is only for private use, but yes, one should always consider the resale value...

suniday
Nov. 7, 2010, 12:33 PM
If you can afford the width at 80 and can only do 140 for now - go for it. Again, you CAN add length later on. You cannot add width. I would also place your indoor in a way that one can add the length in the future. You will end up using it a lot more than you think!

cherham
Nov. 7, 2010, 04:19 PM
Our arena is 72 x 140 and is perfectly suitable for both our dressage horses and our jumpers. You can ride a 20 metre circle with a little room to spare and jump a 3 stride combination with no problems. We can easily accomodate 4 horses at the same time but would not want to go many more then that with the jumps set up. I too would have loved to go a little larger but our building site would not accomodate any larger size. It is actually absolutely fine at the size it is.....