PDA

View Full Version : VHSA Associate Question

french
Nov. 6, 2010, 12:32 AM
I've noticed that an animal is listed 2nd in Assoc. Working standings and also has 100 points in Assoc. Green Pony. Are ponies allowed to accrue points in the Working division? If so can an adult show them? Or if it's a horse, should it have points in the Grn. pony division? I'm not complaining-- I'm just asking for clarification on the situation. I imagine things are pretty hectic at the VHSA office this time of year.

BelladonnaLily
Nov. 6, 2010, 08:57 AM
Hhmmmm, VHSA had a lot of straightening to do after the computer system switch this year, and I did have ponies with points in both Green Horse and Pony, and Sm/Med and Large Pony Hunter for a while until they fixed it, but I see which horse you're referring to and this seems like legit points in both divisions. Now, I always thought that a pony COULD compete in working, but apparently certain associations don't allow it (BHSA?) because one series we regularly do wouldn't allow it.

Off to check rules to see what VHSA says...

Anyplace Farm
Nov. 6, 2010, 09:39 AM
I know that even in the rated shows, a pony may compete as a horse by an adult but it must 'stay' as a horse for the duration of that show. It may not be both a horse and a pony at the same show.

In the Associate program, my guess is this pony/horse competitor is doing it at the same show series. Which is fine, as long as it wasn't competing as a pony at the same show that same day. They may have used the pony to fill the class.

french
Nov. 7, 2010, 12:15 AM
According to the website, it showed in both Green pony and Working hunter at at least nine shows and at one show it got points in Working and Large pony on the same day.

BelladonnaLily
Nov. 7, 2010, 08:34 AM
According to the website, it showed in both Green pony and Working hunter at at least nine shows and at one show it got points in Working and Large pony on the same day.

I'm almost certain that isn't allowed :eek: Might want to shoot Angie an email on that one...

BelladonnaLily
Nov. 7, 2010, 08:42 AM
Finally got around to looking at the rules and honestly, I don't see where it states that a pony cannot cross enter between working and pony hunter or green. I honestly thought that might be the case but I was told at one of our local series, that just became BHSA, that BHSA wasn't allowing ponies to do working at all. But apparently, this is not a VHSA rule. The rules clearly state the "no cross entry" between SS and PH, so I the lack of any wording in Working leads me to believe this is the case.

Still, might want to clarify with Angie...but with THAT many points in both divisions, I would hope they would have caught it if that wasn't the case.

french
Nov. 7, 2010, 04:03 PM
I don't see a VHSA Assoc. rule that prohibits ponies from doing the Working division and accruing points either. However in maybe 1994 (in the early days of the Associate Program), I showed a pony for someone else in the Open/Working division; when he got way up in points the owner was told by VHSA that ponies could not accrue points in the Working division and his points were removed. Maybe it's just not a concern now.

Everythingbutwings
Nov. 8, 2010, 09:53 AM
VHSA had a lot of straightening to do after the computer system switch this year, and I did have ponies with points in both Green Horse and Pony, and Sm/Med and Large Pony Hunter for a while until they fixed it,

Overall, I like the new way they are reporting points but you are right, they have a lot of fixing to do. Our horse along with at least one other that we know of was listed as having more points that he should have at a late season show. The error was reported and now he's listed as having the incorrect points as well as the correct ones in the same class.

I wouldn't want the job of figuring out that system out, especially so late in the year. It's going to take a lot of QC hours by the VHSA clerks.

I wonder who else writes to VHSA to report too many points? :D

skrgirl
Nov. 8, 2010, 11:13 AM
I know that even in the rated shows, a pony may compete as a horse by an adult but it must 'stay' as a horse for the duration of that show. It may not be both a horse and a pony at the same show.

This is the correct answer for VHSA Associate as quoted to me directly from VHSA.

We had a large that needed to do the 3' working for the height experience and it had to go unjudged.

horseladi78
Nov. 8, 2010, 11:25 AM
I know the pony in question. He is a large pony and did do both the working and the green ponies all year. My trainer, too, thought that ponies could not accrue points, but as far as I know, the trainer of this pony is happy its 2nd in the working so don't know

french
Nov. 8, 2010, 05:45 PM
If the pony in question is allowed to keep his points, it seems to me that sets a precedent allowing any pony to accrue points in the Working division provided the pony jumps at least 2'6" and the particular show or local association has no rule prohibiting it. Should be a nice additional division for medium and large ponies.

BybeeGirl
Nov. 8, 2010, 08:41 PM
I wonder who else writes to VHSA to report too many points? :D

I did last week, and had corrected points by the next day. :) Happened last year as well.

With close to 500 Associate shows, I can't imagine how time consuming manual data entry must be for the secretary.