PDA

View Full Version : Myler Bits with Hooks

Pink Cadillac
Nov. 5, 2010, 09:39 AM
Good morning everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knew if the Myler bits that have the hooks on the side for the reins and bridle are legal to show in (this bit is also slightly ported)? Or are they strictly for tune ups only? I have a horse taht is currently in one and he is going super well.... Just wondered what the USEF rules about them were? I could not find anything on the Myler website about them......

Thanks in advance,

Jen

Madison
Nov. 5, 2010, 11:57 AM
There is no legal/illegal distinction -- it is a question of "unconventional" tack under the rules, and the Myler bits with hooks would be considered unconventional, particularly at a USEF rated show, and even some judges at local shows. So, yes, you will need to find something else he goes well in for the shows and use the Myler at home for your schooling bit.

Piadosa
Nov. 5, 2010, 01:26 PM
My mare goes in the ported Myler dee with hooks at the moment. I would use it for schooling shows, but would definatly choose something else if I were going to a rated show. Even though from a distance it is really hard to tell that it has hooks...

mypaintwattie
Nov. 5, 2010, 04:17 PM
Yes, it would probably be considered unconventional for the hunters. I have the ported D-ring with hooks for my mare, she loves this bit. We showed hunters on the county circuit without a problem, but if I were going to an A show I might not use it. Since I show mostly county and open breed shows right now though I feel comfortable using it everyday and in the show ring. Going through my pictures, from a distance it is hard to tell that it has hooks and a chain.

skrgirl
Nov. 5, 2010, 05:17 PM
I have a horse that goes in ones, competes at the A's, its never been a problem. Only time anyone has ever commented was a local level judge. I always carried a spare bit just in case.

The thing that makes it noticeable is that the d-rings turn out.

PNWjumper
Nov. 5, 2010, 07:04 PM
I ride my mare in one as well. We do jumpers, so it's a moot point (the conventional versus unconventional, that is), but if your horse goes well in it, you can always just hook the reins to the bit like you would to a regular D-ring (rather than attaching them through the hook slots). No one can tell the the bit has hooks if the reins and/or headstall aren't attached to them.

paintmare
Nov. 5, 2010, 07:15 PM
Just get the cheekpiece without hooks in the same mouthpiece if it's an issue for shows. If the both the hooks and mouthpiece are an issue, Myler recommends getting their regular comfort snaffle with a hookless cheekpiece just for showing (it's legal).

LTLFLDF
Nov. 5, 2010, 09:31 PM
There are a few judges who will not pin you in a myler with the hooks. I sent you the one I know of personally.

I agree with the person who commented to get the same bit with out the lifters for showing. I choose to get the bit that worked best for my old horse in a full check.The full check "hides" the Myler better. I am seeing more and more full cheeks at the shows.

Pink Cadillac
Nov. 8, 2010, 09:02 AM
Thanks everyone for all of your help! I have a schooling show on Sunday and I think that I may use the bit for my eq classes first and then switch to a Myler without hooks for my Hunter classes.....