PDA

View Full Version : Behind the Scenes at Syracuse Show- UPDATE- Added More Videos in Post #20

MHM
Nov. 5, 2010, 12:08 AM
Somebody on one of the Syracuse threads asked about the schooling area and surroundings at the show, so today I took a little video and put it on Youtube.

I started out in the schooling area, did a 360 to show where the vendors and stalls are, then walked outside and down the sidewalk to the show ring. This is the first year they've put stalls right by the schooling area, other than for the Budweiser Clydesdales.
Note that there are two jumbotrons in the schooling area so you can see what's happening in the show ring, as well as a screen that shows where you are in the order. They also put down rubber mats the whole way to the ring, and you walk right by Hadfields Saddlery, in case you forgot anything! :lol:

After I crossed the street, I pointed the camera down the ramp towards the entrance to the other stalls that are underground, then went in towards the show ring.

Sorry if anybody gets car sick- I didn't have a Steadicam on hand. I'm sure Steven Spielberg would have done a better job, but I didn't see him at the show today. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew9olFJW8kU

theinstigator
Nov. 5, 2010, 06:51 AM
I love that you did this, I was thinking about doing something similar when we are there on Sunday. :)

Treasmare2
Nov. 5, 2010, 07:05 AM
Thank you...great job.

amt813
Nov. 5, 2010, 07:23 AM
Thanks! That was really neat to see.

MHM
Nov. 5, 2010, 08:54 AM
You're welcome! :)

I thought it might make it easier for people to get a feel for the logistics, since it's a pretty unusual setting for a horse show.

Once again, I have to tip my hat to the people who organize the Syracuse show. They've done an incredible job to make the whole set up so functional! :cool:

War Admiral
Nov. 5, 2010, 10:36 AM
Thanks for doing this! Very cool to see.

It may be an unusual setup, but let's face it, hands DOWN it beats the old MSG! :D I especially loff the big screens in the warmup area so you can see what's going on in the main arena.

Cool setup.

ParisHillEC
Nov. 5, 2010, 10:45 AM
I was there yesterday and will be for the rest of the weekend.

I was very surprised by the lack of vendors this year, compared to other years.

Other than that, the hunter classic was great!

doublesstable
Nov. 5, 2010, 12:03 PM
That cool.... I always think about this show setting being so strange... but it works for them... thanks for sharing.

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
Nov. 5, 2010, 12:36 PM
Thank you so much!

And I especially love how you thanked the cop directing traffic.

ponymom64
Nov. 5, 2010, 12:52 PM
Thanks for sharing! That was so cool to see

forward ride
Nov. 5, 2010, 03:16 PM
Thanks for posting this! Very cool to see. I went to watch the Autumn in NY show there in maybe 2002 or so, but this set-up is obviously much different, so it's neat to see. Also, as a former upstate NY-er turned back to wimpy So Cal-er, I felt cold just watching that ;)

MHM
Nov. 5, 2010, 03:19 PM
I was very surprised by the lack of vendors this year, compared to other years.

There were a few more vendors set up downstairs near the horse show office, but not a ton.

I'm not sure if it's a result of the economy, or the space limitations this year with the stalls around the schooling ring. Maybe a combination of both factors.

MHM
Nov. 5, 2010, 03:31 PM
Thanks for posting this! Very cool to see. I went to watch the Autumn in NY show there in maybe 2002 or so, but this set-up is obviously much different, so it's neat to see. Also, as a former upstate NY-er turned back to wimpy So Cal-er, I felt cold just watching that ;)

Autumn in NY is held at the NY State Fairgrounds, which is a completely different venue, with a facility designed for horse shows. When I heard they were going to have this show in downtown Syracuse, I almost couldn't believe it, but they've really made it work.

On a side note, the Fairgrounds is being used as a staging area for this show, so you can get stalls there for the week, ride and school in that big ring at the Fairgrounds all you want, then move into the downtown location the day before your classes start.

They've also been smart about coming up with improvements for the show over the years, like the jumbotrons in the schooling ring, the mats down the sidewalk, and the little tent area outside the ingate.

And yes, it's been pretty damp and chilly. I remember the first year they had this show, there was a freak hot spell, and it was about 70 degrees all week. All the out-of-towners were probably sad for their return visit the next year when the weather was normal for Syracuse in November. :lol:

Happyhooves
Nov. 5, 2010, 03:33 PM
Thanks so much for posting this! This is just what I was wondering about. I was trying to picture it in my mind. Watching the competition is great, but it's also cool to see the backdrop.

SimonandGus
Nov. 5, 2010, 04:01 PM
Thank you for putting this up!!! It quenched some of my curiosity!

RegalBeagle
Nov. 6, 2010, 09:05 PM
Thanks, that was great fun to see

JFJ
Nov. 6, 2010, 09:26 PM
I saw some familar faces! Brings back memories of horse showing!

MHM
Nov. 6, 2010, 10:14 PM
I saw some familar faces! Brings back memories of horse showing!

I actually tried to show just scenery, not people (in case, you know, they didn't really want to be video stars :lol:), but a few faces slipped in.

I took more videos today, so once I get them on Youtube, I'll post them.

Now that I've figured out how to get the videos online, I'll probably become one of those people who makes endless dog documentaries starring my pets. :eek:

horsegal301
Nov. 7, 2010, 12:59 AM
I worked as an intern for this show the last two years doing a lot of the signs for events/clinics/demos and let me say -- they put a LOT of work into making this set up run smoothly. I tip my hat to all the Caz students who SLAVE all semester long to make this work PERFECTLY so they don't get lashings at the end of each day. =)

MHM
Nov. 8, 2010, 06:07 AM
I put two more videos on Youtube.

This is just a quick one showing where some of the stalls are in relation to the schooling area. They're in a short L shape on two sides of the schooling ring, with the ends fenced off. The rest of the stalls were underground in the other building, down a ramp beneath the show ring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dnlb0xqHvo

The next video is pretty much the same route I took the first day, but in reverse, going from the show ring to the stalls, with a couple of additional things included:

There's a monitor in the tent right by the ingate, so you can watch the action in the show ring while you're waiting outside.

The horse ambulance was parked right outside in front of Hadfields, where I think it sat without moving all week- yay!

Just past Hadfields, they set up an area inside the building with a wash rack and farrier station under cover. I really hope the water was warm.

I also walked across the schooling area to show where the entrance was to those stalls. I did choose to do it at a fairly quiet time so I wouldn't get run over! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLDK8sGO9GY

SarahandSam
Nov. 8, 2010, 06:27 AM
Cool video!

Out of curiosity, were all the stalls up by the schooling ring foreign/quarantine horses? I saw John Whitaker's stables right by the edge of the shopping, so I assumed they probably put the Europeans all up there for quarantine purposes...

MHM
Nov. 8, 2010, 06:35 AM
Cool video!

Out of curiosity, were all the stalls up by the schooling ring foreign/quarantine horses? I saw John Whitaker's stables right by the edge of the shopping, so I assumed they probably put the Europeans all up there for quarantine purposes...

I'm guessing it may have involved restricted access to the FEI horses, since the Grand Prix on Saturday night was a World Cup qualifier, and thus run under FEI rules. There could have been a sub-set of quarantine stalls within the FEI fence, but Beezie Madden's stalls, for example, were also within the fence.

I would think they fenced the whole stable area to prevent random spectators from wandering through, but I believe you needed FEI credentials for access to at least some of the stalls.

Happyhooves
Nov. 8, 2010, 12:06 PM
Thanks again for posting the videos. Do many horses get upset walking down into that tunnel for the underground stabling? Are the ceilings even lower than the other stabling area?

MHM
Nov. 8, 2010, 02:01 PM
Do many horses get upset walking down into that tunnel for the underground stabling? Are the ceilings even lower than the other stabling area?

I don't think it bothers the horses. I never saw any horse hesitating on the ramp, anyway. There is plenty of height clearance for them in all the stalls, even downstairs.

Remember, by the time they've gotten this far in their careers, they've been to many, many shows. They're pretty immune to lots of things. Bless them. :)