PDA

View Full Version : Possible Prospect????

llltf3
Nov. 4, 2010, 09:53 PM
Hello Fellow Cothers...

I LOVE Dapple Greys and came across this gelding. I am hoping for some oppinions on this guy. I am looking for a 3' hunter prospect. What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/user/cashdebbie#p/u/6/-pjeAkeLMmI

There are a couple of short clips of him jumping as well.

Thanks in advance!!!!

AnotherRound
Nov. 4, 2010, 10:02 PM
Cute thing, remember, "dapple" greys don't stay that way.

He's a young thing, and very downhill. As a consequence, he is falling on his forehand. Experience and training could get him to sit back more, however at this time, he is so on his forehand, he can't get his shoulder out in front of him to reach with his front. This limits him coming up to the fences, which makes him look like he's going to trip over them.

I don't like that he can't get his front end up in front of him, and becuase of this, too, his trot is short and fast and made me anxious just watching him. I don't know how big he is, but he looks like a pony, and moves like one.

Even a pony I would want to be able to see sit back on his haunches and power out. This horse doesn't have anything to recommend me as a horse which can jump.

But if you like the pretty color, go for it!!

llltf3
Nov. 4, 2010, 10:07 PM
thanks anotherround. he is 15.3 and i do agree is on his forehand and does have a VERY fast trot. I am not looking to go to any AA shows, but just for a nice pretty hunter. Thanks I will take that into consideration.

Calvincrowe
Nov. 4, 2010, 10:12 PM
I think he's worth going to look at. I think the video is deceptive--I don't think he's really going that fast. He's cute, but maybe a bit short strided--is he a QH? Will he be an A show winner? Perhaps not, but definitely could train up to be a good citizen and fun ride for someone not looking to do the circuit.

AnotherRound
Nov. 4, 2010, 10:15 PM
Because of that trot and because he is on the forehand, I don't think he makes a nice, pretty hunter. Like I said, watching him makes me anxious, and a hunter should look long and low and safe and confident and competent.

A hunter should look like he is taking his rider for a safe ride through complex environment; he should look like he can move out and handle himself over obstacles; this horse does not engender safety or look like he could handle a decent fence without tripping.

Not a pretty ride; not a prospect in my opinion. Keep going.

Personally, I would want to stick him if I was told he was 15.3!! My last 15.3 QH looked like a 16.1 hand Handy Hunter and moved like it.

If you only wanted this horse to hack, I still wouldn't recommend it because of the downhill problem.

Remember, many many horses have been inbred for downhill-ness for other disciplines, and we will find them in our hunts for jumper prospects. Doesn't mean they really are well suited to be a jumper.

Good luck! Keep on keeping on! I don't hink this one is it!

CBoylen
Nov. 4, 2010, 10:16 PM
It's 8. As a "prospect", that's stretching it. It's also pony-gaited, a bad mover, quick at the jumps, and extremely crooked. To be blunt, it looks like a training nightmare to get it suitable to go around the 3', let alone be competitive.
I'm a huge grey fan as well, but this horse doesn't appeal to me at all. You can do better, and get yourself something easier to fix, even at that price.

SquishTheBunny
Nov. 4, 2010, 11:14 PM
If you like him, buy him.

Hes not an A circuit type, but would do well at schooling shows. Safe, fun and the job that YOU want him to do is most impotant. Just because he isnt a flashy A circuit hunter, doesnt mean he cant be a local 3' star!!

He looks sweet, easy and amateur friendly.

You never said your budget either, or what level you plan to show. These things make a huge difference in whether he's a good investment for you.

SnicklefritzG
Nov. 4, 2010, 11:31 PM
This.

Define your goals and priorities and look for a horse that matches. He may be too short strided to make an A hunter, but if he's safe, friendly, has a nice brain and you enjoy riding him then you may want to keep him on your long list.

snaffle635
Nov. 5, 2010, 12:02 AM
I agree with Another Round...watching this horse makes me anxious. A hunter should look happy and relaxed and this horse looks crabby and tense to me. I know the video quality is off - at least I hope he's not trotting that fast! But he doesn't give the appearance of long and low.

It's very difficult to evaluate his potential as a 3' hunter over such tiny jumps with that video quality. Hard to tell if he uses himself well over the jump.

Simbalism
Nov. 5, 2010, 12:12 AM
He made me a little anxious also. He was short, quick and choppy looking. He also looked sort of tense and carried his head up. None of these qualities makes me think hunter.

wanderlust
Nov. 5, 2010, 01:03 AM
It's 8. As a "prospect", that's stretching it. It's also pony-gaited, a bad mover, quick at the jumps, and extremely crooked. To be blunt, it looks like a training nightmare to get it suitable to go around the 3', let alone be competitive.
I'm a huge grey fan as well, but this horse doesn't appeal to me at all. You can do better, and get yourself something easier to fix, even at that price. Completely agreed. Looks like a ton of work and not something I'd ever want to pilot around 3'. Sorry. :(

ExJumper
Nov. 5, 2010, 01:25 AM
I'm a huge grey fan as well, but this horse doesn't appeal to me at all. You can do better, and get yourself something easier to fix, even at that price.

This x 100.

llltf3
Nov. 5, 2010, 08:12 AM
Thanks everyone!!! If anyone knows of any dapple greys out there (under 10k), please pass them along. I am only looking to go to local shows next year, maybe just one rated the following year. No money in the budget. Oh what I would give to be independently wealthy.

AnotherRound
Nov. 5, 2010, 09:01 AM
Where are you located?

ExJumper
Nov. 5, 2010, 09:03 AM
Thanks everyone!!! If anyone knows of any dapple greys out there (under 10k), please pass them along. I am only looking to go to local shows next year, maybe just one rated the following year. No money in the budget. Oh what I would give to be independently wealthy.

For what it's worth, I feel that I should mention that shopping for horses based on color is maybe not the best idea, right? Not to mention that the color you're looking for is going to change as the horse gets older...

Burgie
Nov. 5, 2010, 09:11 AM
^ That, and the whole melanoma/cancer susceptibility thing.

llltf3
Nov. 5, 2010, 09:20 AM
I know I might be a little crazy for wanting a dapple grey. I know they will change, but some of them do not. I am in VA. I will find one, I am sure!!! Thanks for all of the replies!!!

findeight
Nov. 5, 2010, 09:58 AM
Ummm, they ALL change color if they are a grey. Some not until later in life but they change, trust me. If they are actually roan and mislabeled grey, they may not.

Anyway, this one is never going to make a Hunter at any age and knows very little at age 8 going on 9. Hunters at any level must have a nice, rythmical canter and track up well under at the trot or they have nothing to jump out of and no power behind.

So, if you want a Hunter, even local, they still have to have a nice jump. This one physically cannot do it and it's not something you can teach.

sar2008
Nov. 5, 2010, 10:17 AM
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/grd/2043495599.html

Just saw this on CL...not sure if she would make a 3' prospect though....but if she is near you it may be worth trying her out.

Haalter
Nov. 5, 2010, 10:20 AM
At this price, you'd have plenty left over for training: http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3039:t10-2936-10-trainer-owned-mare-qmemorable-michelleq&catid=54:ne-trainer-listings&directory=296

Not grey, but pretty cute and well within your budget:
http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2252:rocket&catid=48:ma-canter-available-now&directory=313

naters
Nov. 5, 2010, 10:21 AM
Just curious where is this horse located? I feel like I have seen it somewhere recently

Haalter
Nov. 5, 2010, 10:53 AM
A few very nice greys:

http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2655:lovely-quiet-and-sweet-5-yo-grey-mare&catid=49:charlestown-trainer-listings&directory=65

http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2170:beautiful-5-yo-grey-mare&catid=49:charlestown-trainer-listings&directory=65

http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3179:lustrous-lady&catid=58:pa-trainer-listings&directory=65

RockinHorse
Nov. 5, 2010, 11:05 AM
I'm not sure why but I get the feeling a horse straight form the track would not be a good idea for this poster.

Just MHO ;)

PinkPonies
Nov. 5, 2010, 11:09 AM
For what it's worth, I feel that I should mention that shopping for horses based on color is maybe not the best idea, right? Not to mention that the color you're looking for is going to change as the horse gets older...

Agreed. My gray stayed that pretty dappled color for about a year and a half. Now he's 14, fleabitten and covered in melanomas. Love him just the same... but it is something to consider.

Do your research on melanoma in grays if you are horse shopping based on color. After the battles I've fought the last 3 years with my guy, I'll be avoiding grays if possible the next go around.

bizbachfan
Nov. 5, 2010, 11:38 AM
I had a lovely white welsh pony who stole my heart. She ended up with melanoma at a very young age. Probably wouldn't do it again.

serendipityhunter
Nov. 5, 2010, 12:34 PM
I agree with the other posters on the color. All the beautiful greys you see at the top shows must be relatively young. I started with a beatiful dapple grey that turned almost completely flea bitten within 2 years (age 9-10). Also, his color sucked me in and he wasn't and continues to not be the right horse for what I wanted to do (hunters). I love him to death and we are working through issues but if I had it to do over again, I wouldn't have gotten him. Good luck, if you are near VA, I would look at that horse someone provided the craigslist link on.

Haalter
Nov. 5, 2010, 12:35 PM
I'm not sure why but I get the feeling a horse straight form the track would not be a good idea for this poster.

Just MHO ;)
Perhaps not, but...if OP has a $10K budget and spends $2K on a CANTER horse and puts $8K into training, could work out just fine...or not ;) And the bay horse in my first post has local show mileage and a jump that would certainly be cute enough to win on a local circuit...oops, not grey though :lol:

Personally, my reason for avoiding greys has not been mentioned yet...keeping them clean!!! Showing a grey mare tomorrow that can't seem to stay out of her own feces for more than 5 minutes - always fun to bathe at 7am when it's 30 degrees out. She is coming 5 and has gone from dark dappled to almost entirely fleabitten over the past year and a half.

When I was looking for my very first horse, my only "looks" requirement was no chestnuts. Guess what I got? A bright red chestnut. Best first horse anyone could have dreamed of.

bizbachfan
Nov. 5, 2010, 12:38 PM
exactly keeping them clean. The one grey/white at our barn looks terribly dirty a day after a good washing, my pony always turned up with green poop stains show morning

Jaideux
Nov. 5, 2010, 01:08 PM
I love everything about my horse except his flea-bitten grey color. I do love the pink little snip on his nose, though.

He was dapply when I bought him as a 4 or 5 year old, but it disappeared by the time he was 8.

And instead he grew poop stains.

I sincerely hope that my next horse has pretty much every quality my current one has (big stride, great rhythm, fairly balanced despite me, huge personality, good jump, loves to learn, shallow bottom even after long stretches of no work, tall and sturdy, solid feet, clean legs, lovely conformation, and he was cheap to buy and fell in my lap!).

I just don't want the same color... or I want one that never rolls or lays down, hahahahaha!

mikali
Nov. 5, 2010, 02:04 PM
I seem to attract greys. I currently have 5 (out of 8) who are grey!!

Having dealt with the green/grey pony when I was in Pony Club, I always tried to stay away from greys. My only criteria was that if you show me a grey, it has to jump the moon...

Chianto was my first grey - and jump he does. Born bay, he was at the end of dapple rose grey when I bought him at 7, had a year where his body was white and his mane and tail were still steel grey/black - now, at 14, everything is white except for the ever growing population of chestnut flea bites!!

The 7yo mare (born black) is still a lovely steel dapple grey through her body but has a white head and the legs are lightening up too.

The 4yo stallion (born black) is still mostly jet black with a greying around the eyes and white hairs throughout his coat.

The yearling filly (born bay) is currently a dun colour but her star turned into a blaze and is slowly changing from there/

The weanling colt (born chestnut) was born flaming red with 4 distinct stockings, star/blaze/snip and is now strawberry roan and quickly loosing his stockings.

The only reason I am writing all this is to demonstrate that every single grey changes at their own speed, so you have to be prepared for the look of your horse to constantly be changing - and to become really good at bathing, spot removing, etc, etc.

TrotTrotPumpkn
Nov. 5, 2010, 02:26 PM
The only grey I personally know of from our little show scene was recently put to sleep for melanomas. :( There were two greys I rode in lessons, when I was first learning the basics, and one developed melanomas. I lost track of the second (he was sooo cute though--I get the draw).

It is a tough thing and worth thinking about.

Personally, I can't stand pee stained tails and I'm too lazy to use a tail bag, so no greys for me!

equidae
Nov. 5, 2010, 03:18 PM
A lot of this horse's problem is his training. Although I don't think this horse has much natural talent to begin with, his rider isn't helping him at all either.

LOTS of gymnastics and work with a rider who can pull and hold him together will improve him to some extent. Not hopeless, IMO, it just won't be an easy feat!

SnicklefritzG
Nov. 5, 2010, 10:50 PM
At this price, you'd have plenty left over for training: http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3039:t10-2936-10-trainer-owned-mare-qmemorable-michelleq&catid=54:ne-trainer-listings&directory=296

Not grey, but pretty cute and well within your budget:
http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2252:rocket&catid=48:ma-canter-available-now&directory=313

Rocket looks like a cute horse. How come nobody has bought him for that price?