PDA

View Full Version : Senior in Hamilton MA suspended for riding horse to school

dogbluehorse
Nov. 4, 2010, 09:25 PM
What on earth is up with this? A senior in MA rode a horse to school for Spirit Week/Day (whatever that is) and got suspended it for it. Apparently riding a horse is like bringing a loaded weapon to school. Really? What on earth happened to people's common sense???
http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/massachusetts-student-suspended-riding-horse-school

trafalgar
Nov. 4, 2010, 09:30 PM
very strange....was there something missing from the article I wonder?

dogbluehorse
Nov. 4, 2010, 09:39 PM
maybe, but seems more likely some zealot being over-reactive.

giddybiddy
Nov. 4, 2010, 10:34 PM
Nope had the story on the local news...they said bringing a horse to school was like bringing a loaded weapon, like dogbluehorse said. So strange haha...the footage was something special! The horse looked totally cool with the whole thing too.

Silk
Nov. 5, 2010, 08:10 AM
The news media is playing you all:) The weapon in question was not the hoprse, but the sword the kid was carrying. Schools have a NO TOLERANCE rule regarding weapons so any real or fake weapon is not allowed...be it a fake gun, fake knife, fake sword.

dogbluehorse
Nov. 5, 2010, 08:28 PM
The news media is playing you all:) The weapon in question was not the hoprse, but the sword the kid was carrying. Schools have a NO TOLERANCE rule regarding weapons so any real or fake weapon is not allowed...be it a fake gun, fake knife, fake sword.

No tolerance, and no judgement!

MHM
Nov. 5, 2010, 08:45 PM
Here's my question:

What was his plan for the horse while he attended classes? Leave him tied to a tree in the schoolyard? :confused:

SnicklefritzG
Nov. 5, 2010, 09:30 PM
No. "Mow" the lawn and fertilize the garden in the back...

Jumphigh83
Nov. 5, 2010, 10:15 PM
Brought to you by the same state that buoyed up Teddy Kennedy waaaaay past his "sell by" date.... Good God, suspending a kid for a cool "prank". Morons. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

SnicklefritzG
Nov. 5, 2010, 10:26 PM
There are a ton of kids I went to high school with who played pranks that were pretty funny and cool at the time, but for which they might get shot in today's climate.

Silk
Nov. 6, 2010, 08:28 AM
Brought to you by the same state that buoyed up Teddy Kennedy waaaaay past his "sell by" date.... Good God, suspending a kid for a cool "prank". Morons. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Funny...many of us say the same about you.

At any rate, no tolerance is no tolerance. It doesn't do any good to allow "some" weapons, be them fake or real. What about the kid who brings a "fake" gun that looks authentic? How do we know it is fake? Again, no tolerance is no tolerance. The child knew the rules and chose to disregard them. Again, it wasn't the horse that resulted in his suspension. Our children are not allowed to wear clothes that have drug or violence related material on them, nor are they allowed to carry anything that resembles a weapon, real or fake. That also goes for the switchblade combs and the hypodermic needle pens (although the Hot Shots for a Cure from the JDRF gave them out at one point and we had an issue with deciding if they were allowed or not).

If you think the rules are so moronic, I suggest you earn an administrative doctorate and fight the good fight against the school committee;)

gloriginger
Nov. 7, 2010, 06:28 AM

what an odd statement...and from someone from NY and FL no less, like those states have no political scandals...you could have atleast made some kind of Yankees/Red Socks statement, then atleast I would have respected your rudeness.

Jumphigh83
Nov. 7, 2010, 10:37 AM
I am wounded. (not)