PDA

View Full Version : Dispersal sale of TBs in SoCal

Oakstable
Oct. 31, 2010, 08:15 PM
Subject: November 13th Dispersal of 60 TBs in Banning - New Information

Dear friends,

as I wrote to some of you earlier, there is a dispersal planned for 60+ thoroughbreds on the morning of Saturday November 13th at 10am.
The horses will be auctioned off the farm directly. If you or someone you know can attend and buy some of these extremely high risk horses,
please do. You will need to go to the farm on that morning, between 8.30am and before 10am (when tack starts to sell), to look at the horses.
Also, per the auctioneer, they will open one of the pastures for parking (5 acres). Here are the details.

1. The farm dispersing is Green Acres Farm in Banning. The address and directions are:

43601 Longhorn Road, Banning, Ca. 92220
Take I-10 to Banning and exit onto Highland Springs Ave. going South to Sun Lakes Blvd. Then go LEFT onto Sun Lakes Blvd and follow
( past Country Clubs Homes) till road turns right continue to Longhorn Road ( Small Sign Post on Right) and Turn Left onto Longhorn
Road and go 1 Mile on the right.

2. The deceased owners (murder-suicide of December 2007) were Ramon and Martha Otero. The estate has been in a complicated probate ever
since. The auctioneer is Mike Murphy, of Mikes Horse and Tack Sale in Mira Loma (which is an auction that SCTR attends monthly). The horses
will NOT be sold in Mira Loma, but at the address in Banning above.

3. The thoroughbreds are broodmares, former racehorses (most already catalogued, link below), and young likely un-broke horses from 2010
weanlings through three year olds. The babies are out in pastures across the 47 acre farm, and there will be wranglers there on Nov 13 to round
them up and into the auction pens per the second auctioneer whom I spoke to this morning. In other words, they will likely not be included in
this catalogue, which should be updated tomorrow.

Link to catalogue so far: http://www.bigdealauction.com/Papers-11-13.htm

Link to photos so far: http://www.bigdealauction.com/11-13Pictures.htm

Link to main auction page: http://www.bigdealauction.com/11-13Estate.html

4. The surviving family is still deciding whether to sell privately or through the auction the stallions that stood at stud there:

Half Term (1990)
Epic Honor (1995)

and we may not know until the day of the sale whether that will happen.

Please help if you can. It would be very useful if you could let me know whether you will be able to attend, or contribute in any way to local
organizations that may be able to attend. SCTR has zero space currently, and no funds, for additional horses. Pending adoptions may help us,
but obviously the sheer numbers are beyond the scope of our ability to help in any significant way.

Thanks!
Caroline

dianehalpin
Oct. 31, 2010, 11:23 PM
Oakstable, maybe you should post on the eventing forum as well, if you haven't done that. So many eventers (especially in Temecula area) who take TB's into eventing might be very interested in the auction.

Threedaydream
Nov. 1, 2010, 03:39 AM
Why do the papers for "Half Term" describe him as bay when the horse in the picture is clearly chestnut? Is this a foal coat color mixup or what?

Mara
Nov. 1, 2010, 09:21 AM
There's some older gals on that listing - those would be the ones most likely to be passed over, is my guess.

I especially worry for this girl:

Land Between
Chestnut Mare foaled April 29, 1985 by FULL POCKET
Out of Syrian Circle by Damascus

She's closing in on age 26. I hope she lands softly.

Oakstable
Nov. 1, 2010, 11:26 AM
The TB rescue folks in SoCal are very worried about the older mares being trucked off to Mexico.

JER
Nov. 1, 2010, 01:50 PM

Land Between

Nice pedigree (http://www.pedigreequery.com/land+between). Also, she won $187K on the track.

She deserves a nice retirement. Perhaps she's one for TIER or that other rescue up north?

SuperSTB
Nov. 1, 2010, 02:12 PM
I try and help the local rescues whenever I can but I don't know any available to take in another horse. There are just too many cases out there- every instance is a huge scramble to pool resources.

I'm ticked off that they are doing a herd disperal- NOW- when it's the worst time of the year to disperse a herd.

I'm equally ticked off that I can't take anymore in!!! Darn it!!!

Then again- as I told Whoanellie yesterday- I'd be in big trouble if I had a big farm- LOL.

Now is the time for people who have been considering another horse- to take one on. Whether it be auction, adoption through a rescue, or a craigslist ad, etc... Good homes are desperatly needed!

DMK
Nov. 1, 2010, 03:04 PM
I'm ticked off that they are doing a herd disperal- NOW- when it's the worst time of the year to disperse a herd.

Probate courts are notorious for not working to race horse auction schedules. Sorry, when the probate courts resolve the outstanding issues, then things have to move into action, and this one sounds like it might have been fairly painful for any remaining family members...

SuperSTB
Nov. 1, 2010, 06:58 PM
Probate courts are notorious for not working to race horse auction schedules. Sorry, when the probate courts resolve the outstanding issues, then things have to move into action, and this one sounds like it might have been fairly painful for any remaining family members...

From what I heard though- it's been going on for 2 years. Other horses had been sold during this time. Also during this time they were still breeding. I'm not sure why the heck they would be allowed still do this if it was completely tied up in probate.

Oakstable
Nov. 6, 2010, 05:24 PM
I can try to find someone to work as an agent for you.

I'm in the area, 20 minutes away.

Oakstable
Nov. 6, 2010, 06:24 PM
Locals are afraid many of these horses will be hauled off to slaughter.

kookicat
Nov. 6, 2010, 06:33 PM
There's some older gals on that listing - those would be the ones most likely to be passed over, is my guess.

Land Between

She was foaled on my birthday. Wish I was closer, I'd take her in.

ShannonD
Nov. 7, 2010, 07:45 AM
Trying to convince my trainer that he could possibly do well picking up a youngster and putting a couple months on it. Without seeing him, this boy could be interesting.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/martikas+half+land2

I've been posting them around...Hopefully there's a good turnout.

Mardi
Nov. 9, 2010, 11:04 AM
Just recieved this from a friend/donor of the rescue organization Neigh Savers.

Dear Friends and Supporters of the Banning Dispersal,

We have received 32 contributions and pledges ranging from $20 to $1000 for this rescue effort. Thank you and bless all of you that have contributed. Between several people who have indicated an interest to adopt and/or sponsor and Kim of Kimberlee Farms stepping up to possibly sponsor a horse on her own as well as discounting our stall rate to a bare minimum for these horses, it looks like we may be able to rescue as many as 10 horses and place them in our southern and northern facilities as well as perhaps one or two fosters and one in a partner rescue. We are also working with partner rescues in order to combine our efforts and stand as a united force against these killer buyers.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions and please continue to pass this information around to your friends and colleagues. We rarely get any new donors at Neigh Savers... This particular effort has resulted in 12 new friends and donors thus far. I would like to take the opportunity to welcome you to our Neigh Savers fold. You have made a difference through your caring and compassion for these defenseless creatures that cannot speak for themselves.

Words cannot express my gratitude..........

Karin Wagner, CEO & Founder
Neigh Savers Foundation, Inc.
1547 Palos Verdes Mall, Suite 259
Walnut Creek, CA 94597-2228
Phone: (925) 980-7588
www.neighsavers.com
karin@neighsavers.com

Toadie's mom
Nov. 9, 2010, 09:42 PM
Why do the papers for "Half Term" describe him as bay when the horse in the picture is clearly chestnut? Is this a foal coat color mixup or what?
More likely a picture mixup, since the other stallion (Epic Honor) is a chestnut.

The horses look like they've been taken care of well.

Oakstable
Nov. 10, 2010, 12:25 PM
I'm going to drive out there today to see how easy this is to find.

That exit has a lot of commercial development on the corners so there are plenty of choices to stop and get something to eat and drink.

Clayfields
Nov. 10, 2010, 02:59 PM
It should be easy to find. I'm actually going to exit at Sunset- it should be a straight shot from there. Hopefully every horse will find a forever home this side of Mexico. I'm hoping one or two are in my price range. Some of the mature mares are lovely.
Rebecca

Oakstable
Nov. 11, 2010, 03:40 PM
The newspaper that I used to work for is doing a story on the auction for tomorrow morning's edition.

Slewdledo
Nov. 13, 2010, 01:42 AM
A bump for this. Please, anyone in attendance, post a recap. Let us know if the stallions are offered, and what happens with the old girls.

Oakstable
Nov. 13, 2010, 11:09 AM
will do. will be there.

poltroon
Nov. 13, 2010, 11:42 AM

Land Between

My TB mare is also from April of 1985 and is happy and spunky. Thanks to everyone who has done their best to get the word out about these horses, and best of luck that it goes well.

SDHorses
Nov. 13, 2010, 12:51 PM
No worries about the older ladies or hard to place horses. My husband and I have offered to take them and retire them on our 40 acre farm in San Diego. I am hoping the 1985 Damacus mare will be heading our direction along with one of her pasture mates.

Based on the emails I have received from the rescue people, it sounds as if they have homes for the majority of them....

VirginiaBred
Nov. 13, 2010, 12:57 PM
Yay!!!

Justa Bob
Nov. 13, 2010, 01:08 PM
Great news. Thanks for the update!

poltroon
Nov. 13, 2010, 05:08 PM
Great news, SDHorses. I wish you well with them. :)

Pronzini
Nov. 13, 2010, 06:04 PM

And to be fair to them, there is only one TB mixed sale in California now and that is Barretts January. It's also not inexpensive to sell through there. The entry fee is $500; there is also a percentage of sale and RNA price to be paid and a large dispersal like this one would need an agent. 60 horses could actually cost $40K + to sell through a recognized auction house even without sales prep and while that may work for the Wygods, horses like these aren't going to gross that much.

Oakstable
Nov. 13, 2010, 06:24 PM
I know Neighsavers got the 20-something mare with Damascus as the dam sire. Nice grey mare.

They got another mare with foal by her side.

Waiting to hear who else is in their van (s).

The daughter of the late owner had a meltdown and stopped the sale.

She was going to let it continue after a bit but many people had left (us included) so I don't know who got what.

The horses were well cared for. The hay was good quality. Their feet had been attended to.

There was a good support team for rescue and large safe trailers available.

Will post more when I get more information.

Sugarbrook
Nov. 13, 2010, 07:10 PM
OH MY. I hope it all ends up alright for the horses. Update when you have more info

Mara
Nov. 13, 2010, 07:15 PM
To those who took the dowager mares - Nobel prizes for all of you!

Oakstable
Nov. 13, 2010, 07:20 PM
Neighsavers can post their report, but they made arrangements to go back to get more horses in a private sale with the heirs.

Since the horses are healthy, there may be others willing to step up and adopt. There are some really attractive young horses that don't have their JC papers.

back in the saddle
Nov. 13, 2010, 07:39 PM
The daughter of the late owner had a meltdown and stopped the sale.

Do you know why?

SDHorses
Nov. 13, 2010, 08:12 PM
I just spoke to Nicole at Neigh Savers and they were able to rescue 9 horses; the Damascus mare and her 14 year old buddy will be heading to my farm next week. They also rescued two pregnant mares and a gelding. Not certain about the rest.

They are going back out to try and purchase a few more, but for now, they have what they could get out. These poor rescue people are simply exhausted- I feel for them!

More info to follow no doubt.

Oakstable
Nov. 13, 2010, 08:51 PM
I did take some photos. It was crowded, which was good, and I would have taken more but the sale was halted after maybe a half hour.
I suspect the daughter was overcome with emotion to see her dad's beloved TBs going for so little money.

They did not have a sales catalog. The paperwork was not organized.

Neighsavers did a super job. Helen from Pegasus was there and also a group from SoCal who I don't know.

There are going to be a lot of horses still needing home.

Sally

Slewdledo
Nov. 14, 2010, 09:44 PM
Thank you VERY much for the recap. Please keep us posted on who still needs help.

Oakstable
Nov. 15, 2010, 10:50 AM
There are many, many horses needing homes. Maybe I can go out there this week and take photos of all the horses in their pens without people standing in the way.

Clayfields
Nov. 15, 2010, 12:21 PM
When I went over yesterday to pick up the filly I bought (I left her overnight with the trailer), the son didn't seem open to selling more; he still seemed very tense about folks on their property.
I hope they're more receptive to you, perhaps they'll calm down in a day or two and be more open to negotiation- the daughter (Vanessa) might be the person to talk to. I did find out that that all the horses were wormed 2 weeks ago, at the same time they had farrier work. The manager is the one to talk to about breeding dates if there's any question about a mare in foal; he keeps his breeding shed records in a planner (I used his son as translator, but he's at school weekdays).
Vanessa also said that she planned on keeping the stallions- I don't know if that means that they'll continue the breeding farm or what.
Let us know what you find out.
Rebecca

Oakstable
Nov. 15, 2010, 12:45 PM
Rebecca,
You are one of a handful who were able to buy. Did we speak to you as you were leaving?
I've got my notes out in the car.

Clayfields
Nov. 15, 2010, 01:26 PM
I don't think we got a chance to speak.
I got Epic Sensation, the 3 yr old chestnut filly. Turns out she's 9 months on, due mid-January (first due date is the 15th). I had my eye on one or two of the older girls up by the barn, but for some reason that defies all reason, I jumped into the bidding on this girl. I'm glad I did, despite the fact that I now need to manage the end of her pregnancy and the foaling (yikes!).

Rebecca

Oakstable
Nov. 15, 2010, 04:02 PM
I have in my notes that a 3-yr-old went for $250. Is that yours?

I have to say, the horses were really nice quality, and deserve homes. They were bright eyed and interested in meeting people.

I'm going to post the contact info for Neighsavers and the SoCal rescue groups.

Oakstable
Nov. 15, 2010, 06:59 PM
www.neighsavers.com
karin@neighsavers.com

Clayfields
Nov. 15, 2010, 09:29 PM
Hi Sally,
No I paid more than that- might be I was the highest bid that morning- but, still a small price for the quality. She's such a love bug, too.
There was a bay mare in the pen with her that sold just as I got back there from the upper barns, so she might have sold for $250, though I thought the guy who bought her placed a higher bid than that. There was so much drama that morning, it was hard to keep track of all that was going on.
Rebecca

Oakstable
Nov. 16, 2010, 06:37 PM
At this point, the remaining horses seem to be tabled, pending the decision of the owners on what to do next.

Fortunately, Neighsavers and some others were able to rescue horses for very reasonable sums.

If I hear any news on what the owners decide to do with the remaining horses, I will post the information.

Sally

SuperSTB
Nov. 18, 2010, 05:03 PM
And to be fair to them, there is only one TB mixed sale in California now and that is Barretts January. It's also not inexpensive to sell through there. The entry fee is $500; there is also a percentage of sale and RNA price to be paid and a large dispersal like this one would need an agent. 60 horses could actually cost $40K + to sell through a recognized auction house even without sales prep and while that may work for the Wygods, horses like these aren't going to gross that much.

I only have hearsay to go by and I did not even bother to attend the sale but I wasn't at all surprised to hear about what happened.

The horses were cared for and this wasn't one of those dire situations. The dire situation with horses desperately needing homes could have been found at Mike's place in Mira Loma the same day or any sale at Euclids in Chino. It was good that word got out about the banning herd because some quality stock was there...

Oakstable
Nov. 23, 2010, 02:27 PM
Dear Supporters:

Thank you once again for your donations allowing us to buy 8 horses at auction and then return to negotiate for 4 more resulting in 12 removals.

This auction and the resulting drama has been an ordeal for us. Suffice it to say we cannot go back and negotiate for additional horses. The bizarre behavior by family members before, during and after the auction makes it an extremely volatile and tense situation. There is no way we will put any Neigh Savers' volunteers in that type of physical danger as well as suffer further verbal abuse.

The gist of the matter is that an auction was held and horses were legitimately auctioned to the highest bidder. The highest bid for the horses was a little over the 20 cents per pound which is equivalent to what the killer buyers pay. Unfortunately the auction was halted after just a fraction of the horses had been auctioned. There were many legitimate buyers in the crowd and it is our belief that every horse on the property would have been safely removed. There were other rescues there as well that went away empty-handed. Exactly why the auction was halted is not known to us. We can only speculate that the family was not happy that their inventory was virtually worthless. There was no prime breeding stock being auctioned, the stallions are not big names, many of the horses were unidentified and unidentifiable, the weanlings were thrown into a big group with no identification whatsoever. That they were not aware of the state of their inventory or the state of the market is extremely ignorant. However, when ignorance and greed combine, common sense usually flies out the window. At Neigh Savers we RARELY buy a horse. In today's economy as all of you know, people are giving horses away. Primarily the horses that Neigh Savers took in at auction were not horses that a private party would be interested in at any rate. We are relieved that we got as many as we did out of there and are not sorry for the horses' sake.

I have posted profiles, race records and photos on our website of all the horses except Fast Term, Sweet Half and Martika's Half Land which will be forthcoming. I have also updated on FaceBook.

http://www.neighsavers.com/horses/index.php

We are in the process of sending horses out to our Northern California facility in Clayton, CA and to our new adopter Linda (thank you so much) in Jamul, CA. All of the horses have been examined by our veterinarian, several had severe teeth issues and those have been resolved. We have also evaluated and wormed everyone.

Thank you again for making this possible. As always, updates can be found on our website and often on FaceBook as well.

Please feel free to email or call me. Your comments are always appreciated and welcome.

From us at Neigh Savers we want to wish you and yours a safe and wonderful Thanksgiving holiday. We are giving great thanks in having our auction horses with us this holiday.

Best wishes,

www.neighsavers.com
karin@neighsavers.com