PDA

View Full Version : What could be causing a low grade fever? 101

back in the saddle
Oct. 19, 2010, 08:00 PM
My mare came down with salmonella, got colitis, foundered, and is now recovering. She is 4 months pregnant (bred June 18). She ended up at the university for 3 weeks where she also had a cecal impaction. She came home and the following week had another round of salmonella which cleared up fine. She was good after that and then last week started looking tired. Temp on a cool morning was 101 - considered low grade -.

She's been on Sulfatab since Friday 3 days ago. I've been giving banamine since Friday night. 1x/day. Tonight before the banamine, her temp was still at 101.

Salmonella test came back negative and the cbc bloodwork taken Friday came back completely normal except her fibrogen was high normal 400 on a scale of 100-400. Vet is coming tomorrow to check the fetus and placenta and will rerun the fibrogen. High Fibrogen means there's inflammation somewhere.

Any clue??? Placentitis?

Meadow36
Oct. 19, 2010, 08:17 PM
Could be placentitis but honestly with her compromised immune function it could be just about anything. Poor mare has a serious black cloud over her head! Did all this start after she was bred?

back in the saddle
Oct. 19, 2010, 08:27 PM
She had a small spell of colitis / mild colic about 2-3 weeks before she was bred. At the time it didn't seem like a big deal. She had it, she got over it, we moved on to breed her 3 weeks later. She was a happy healthy horse at the time of breeding June 18th.

Aug 30 (or there abouts) she wasn't right. Mild colic again, no poop in the stall at night. Called the vet out ER call the next morning. She wasn't horrible, just not right. Vet pulled out some hard manure and we thought it was a small impaction starting. Temp was ok. At 5:00 the same day she had a 103.4 deg fever, vet came out again.

Over the next 4 or 5 days not much was going through her system. So I had the vets out again and they said she had internal diarrhea. She kept eating the whole time. And she started getting better, or so I thought. I turned her out for a few hours and when I brought her in she was foundered. Vet came out again, I put her in a sand stall. 2 days later she was worse so the vet told me to take her to the university. They found a cecal impaction and and didnt' think she'd live. They got her through that and 3 weeks later she came home. (salmonella was diagnosed at the university) And then a week later had another roudn of salmonella which is normal while the body rids itself. She tested negative. and here we are now.

Meadow36
Oct. 19, 2010, 08:40 PM
Did you vaccinate her recently? That could cause a low grade fever.

back in the saddle
Oct. 19, 2010, 08:47 PM
No. No vaccinations. Last time was before she got in foal.

back in the saddle
Oct. 19, 2010, 09:40 PM
Would ulcers cause a low grade fever?

ake987
Oct. 19, 2010, 11:29 PM
Not sure if ulcers can cause fever, can't seem to find that anywhere. Lyme? Or was that tested for in bloodwork already

deltawave
Oct. 20, 2010, 08:09 AM
What is her normal temperature? Bonnie's is 100.5, so I wouldn't necessarily think 101 was abnormal, all things considered, for her.

back in the saddle
Oct. 20, 2010, 08:22 AM
If she wasn't so lathergic I wouldn't be concerned. But she not feeling good. Her temp this morning was 100.4. Before she went to Uga it was 99.4

Emmas Hot Brass
Oct. 20, 2010, 11:59 AM
the average normal temperature for a horse is 101... so, 101 isnt a fever at all.
start worrying if it gets to 104.

Emmas Hot Brass
Oct. 20, 2010, 12:01 PM
oh, and by the way, Auburn is my first choice over UGA... they've got a better program, better vets, and they won't waste your money.

back in the saddle
Oct. 20, 2010, 12:55 PM
Actually, this is considered to be a low grade fever. 101 is only normal when a horse has been standing in the hot sun. Not standing in a cool stall on a cool day.

deltawave
Oct. 20, 2010, 02:36 PM
Every animal is different. Normal is relative. But I do agree it's probably a piece of a puzzle given her baseline of 99.4, assuming that was taken when she was A-OK.

jaimebaker
Oct. 20, 2010, 05:08 PM
Every animal is different. Normal is relative. But I do agree it's probably a piece of a puzzle given her baseline of 99.4, assuming that was taken when she was A-OK.

Very true. And to the OP, normal temp for horses is between 99-101. And no, 101 doesn't necessarily mean the horse was standing in the sun on a hot day. Some horses run 101 in the shade in the snow. It's very individual based.

If her baseline temp is 99.4 then yes, it's probably a slight fever. Especially if she is lethargic. I hope you figure out what's wrong with your mare. Sounds like she's had a lot of problems:(

back in the saddle
Oct. 20, 2010, 05:21 PM
Ok, I can buy that. However, all vets Ive dealt with on this have said they've never met a horse with a temp of 101 or higher (who had not been out in the sun) that wasn't sick. it's considered low grade even at the university. Food for thought.

Rubi's temp is 100.4 now.