PDA

View Full Version : Is this bit dressage legal? Any other suggestions?

asb_own_me
Oct. 11, 2010, 12:51 PM
This bit:
http://www.statelinetack.com/item/happy-mouth-jointed-french-link-bit/SLT900275/

Is that dressage-legal? I ask because the drawings in the rulebook seem to be showing bits with a rounded center piece, not a flat center piece. The USEF offices are closed today in observance of Columbus Day, so I'm unable to go to the source :)

Going from there, I'm looking for a bit to encourage by incredibly sensitive/soft-mouthed gelding to reach into and accept the bit more consistently. Thoughts on if a mullen mouth would encourage this - like this one: http://www.statelinetack.com/item/korsteel-flexi-flavored-mullen-eggbutt-bit/SLT900260/
And is that legal, as it has a "shape" to it? The mullen mouthpieces shown in the drawings are smooth, without indentations.

Thanks for any help!

netg
Oct. 11, 2010, 01:19 PM
Yep, happy mouths like that are legal - the ones with the plastic on the center piece aren't because it's a roller, sort of.

What will work depends on mouth conformation in large part. My guy wants to least stable bit possible, so I have that bit in loose ring and a thin metal french link. He HATES thick bits, and single jointed snaffles bother him. Without a rider on his back he'll gape his mouth and make it very clear he hates a bit.

My mom's horse is the opposite. She would probably go very well in a mullen mouth - she detests anything which isn't stable, and flips her head like crazy if any bits my horse loves are put in her mouth. She's really happy with the single jointed full cheek we have in her mouth.

Both of these horses have sensitive mouths, just different precences on what they do/don't like in a bit.

Do you have a chance to borrow bits from other people at all? The double jointed bits are best for a horse with a low palate, but can actually seem more severe to some horses based upon how they put pressure on the tongue.

Also, have you had a really good instructor watch and tell you what to fix in your own riding? More than any bit, the two biggest keys for me to get my horse to keep good contact are closing my fingers (he refuses any kind of contact with open hands) and bending my elbows properly.

carolprudm
Oct. 11, 2010, 02:06 PM
I sent Sophie to a new trainer this past June and she decided that Sophie really didn't like the KK Ultra we were using. I stopped at the local tack store on the way home to go bit shopping and there in the clearance bin was a hard black rubber mullen mouth!

In her size!!

For $15!!!

And she loves it, especially when I wrap it in a fruit roll up:D