PDA

View Full Version : Flexible Stirrups? Herm Sprenger vs Others?

good booie
Oct. 10, 2010, 11:49 AM
The price difference is so significant. yikes! What do you all think?

millerra
Oct. 10, 2010, 12:19 PM
Well, I have the herm sprenger ones from a few years ago - the less fancy ones w/ only a one directional hinge. They are nice heavy stirrups. I use them on my jumping saddle and love them for jumping and galloping because my foot puts weight on the entire tread rather then just the edge when my heels are down. I don't have them on my dressage saddle as I don't see the need. I don't have as much weight in my feet as I do a lot of sitting trot and canter work. Even posting the trot isn't as tiring as doing gallop sets, etc. So I haven't felt that they are worth the extra price over plain ol' fillis stirrups for my dressage saddles.

this of course is an n=1 response. others may have significantly different views.

carolprudm
Oct. 10, 2010, 03:40 PM
I have the MDW Intelligent stirrups and they have been great on my bad ankle
I attempt dressage

BetterOffRed
Oct. 10, 2010, 08:36 PM
MDC Stirrups are the bomb!
http://www.mdccorporation.us/products/endorsements.html

You can swivle the angle to what you need. Good if you have bad ankle, knee or hips. Sometimes you can find a good price on ebay, you may want to wait until VTO has their Black Friday sale...i think it is 30-40% off full price items.

tollertwins
Oct. 11, 2010, 09:58 AM
I have the bow balance.

The slight offset makes it easier to pick up your stirrups...and the double flex makes up for my ridiculously stiff ankles!

joiedevie99
Oct. 11, 2010, 10:21 AM
I have the MDC Ultimates- I love them!

Velvet
Oct. 11, 2010, 10:37 AM
I got a pair of $50 knock off hinged stirrups that I love. They're just double jointed, but they help my knees a lot. (I got mine from Bit of Britain.)

I've tried the MDC with the rotating tops and love those! I'll eventually get a pair, when I have a few bucks in my pocket that I don't end up needing for something more important. ;)

walktrot
Oct. 11, 2010, 12:43 PM
I use the original Sprenger 4-ways, which were about the only thing you get at the time. They cured the ache in my hips and knees.

good booie
Oct. 11, 2010, 12:49 PM
The story behind all this is that I borrowed a saddle from a friend (I bought the saddle:)) and when I borrowed it it had the HS stirrups on it. OMG!!!!! I fell in love on the first post. Sadly, the saddle did not come with the irons when I bought it. So here I am not ready to spend two hundred dollars on irons. Not yet anyway. I like any good horse person will cave eventually...lol. I think I will jet over to Dover and get the knock offs and go from there. sigh. where is the money tree?

Velvet
Oct. 11, 2010, 01:01 PM
GB, if you're looking for the ones I was talking about, I don't know if you can find them through Dover. I got mine from Bit of Britain. :)

Phyxius
Oct. 12, 2010, 04:54 PM
I have two saddles with the MDC Intelligent stirrups and one with the Herm Sprenger Bow Balance. I love them both! :)

SIC
Oct. 17, 2010, 07:38 PM
My MDCs cost less than the HS and they do more by design. They look good and function exactly how you set them. They also make a non flex as well as a wide aluminum base model for cross country or jumping.

The MDCs just have more features so why short change yourself once you decide to buy the best from either company?

I love my MDCs.

citydog
Oct. 17, 2010, 07:53 PM
MDC Ultimates. :yes:

carolprudm
Oct. 17, 2010, 08:39 PM
MDC Ultimates. :yes:
What is the difference between the Ultimates and Intelligent?

esdressage
Oct. 17, 2010, 08:53 PM
I also have the MDC Ultimates and love them. I think they're a great value when you look at pricing across the board.

As far as the difference between the MDC Ultimates and the MDC Intelligents: As I understand, the Intelligent line of stirrups has the swivel top (which is very cool) and includes both the MDC Ultimate Stirrups and the MDC Comfort Stirrups. The Ultimates are the ones with the hinged footbed, which flexes with your ankle. The Comfort stirrups have the swivel top, but the footbed isn't hinged.

citydog
Oct. 17, 2010, 08:57 PM
What is the difference between the Ultimates and Intelligent?

http://www.mdccorporation.us/products/stirrups/index.html

The Ultimates have the hinged sides and swivel top. "Intelligent" just seems to be their blanket name for all their stirrups. The Comfort ones have the swivel top but regular, unjointed, Fillis-type sides.

good booie
Oct. 18, 2010, 10:30 AM
MDC Ultimates it is! Thanks for your opinions. Had I not posted this I would have never known about them.

booie:)

carolprudm
Oct. 18, 2010, 02:10 PM
MDC Ultimates it is! Thanks for your opinions. Had I not posted this I would have never known about them.

booie:)
If you are not in a huge hurry sign up for VTO saddlery's mailing list. They should be having a 20% off sale soon.

These seem to be a new model, maybe replacing the "ultimate"
http://www.vtosaddlery.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=VTO&Product_Code=MDCSSS&Category_Code=

good booie
Oct. 19, 2010, 09:46 AM
I am now on their mailing list:) Perfect!