PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else want a vaulting horse for lessons??

fizzyfuzzybuzzy
Oct. 9, 2010, 01:51 PM
I just watched team France's vaulting at WEG, and all I kept thinking was, I want that horse to teach on! Talk about letting someone get the rhythm of a sitting trot! :)

Bluey
Oct. 9, 2010, 01:59 PM
We started beginners with longe line lessons, first couple of lessons on a smooth trotting horse, then graduated to a rougher one, was part of the learning to ride and balance experience.

If a beginner was better than expected, we would turn them loose from the longe line to finish the lesson and see where we were.

Those good, reliable longe lesson horses were some of the more valuable school horses and we rarely used them for vaulting, that demanded more of the horses.

That circling is hard on a horse, has to be done in measured amounts and never overdone.

Quest52
Oct. 9, 2010, 08:01 PM
As a theory.... I believe that all student should first be able to ride a horse well on the lunge before graduating to off the lunge line and steering the horse etc.

When I train my horses before breaking they are always trained to properly lunge and ground drive with long reins too, so I guess that I would always have some horse that would be able to have a student on the teach to sit correctly before moving up to the next level.

This is what I presume you're speaking of, yes? Having a good horse to be able to teach a student how to properly sit before moving to the rest of the aids? I personally feel that this is the "way to go" with every student. IMO.

ridgeback
Oct. 9, 2010, 08:07 PM
Oh but they tie the horses head down:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

fizzyfuzzybuzzy
Oct. 9, 2010, 10:33 PM
Yes, I was wishing I had a nice moving, well trained, quiet horse to teach riders to sit properly! The french horse just had a lovely look to him, and didn't mind all the ruckus around him.

netg
Oct. 9, 2010, 11:10 PM
Yes, I was wishing I had a nice moving, well trained, quiet horse to teach riders to sit properly! The french horse just had a lovely look to him, and didn't mind all the ruckus around him.

I think I'm lucky w/ my TB. Sure when I'm riding him around the arena he can be Mr. Spunk, but put him on a longe line with me on his back and he's an angel so I can work on me and not worry about him.

It's a FABULOUS thing to have, and I especially appreciate it after having a horse who took a longe line as a reason to take off, ripping it out of someone's hands and galloping around the property.

octoberine
Oct. 10, 2010, 04:46 PM
Don't be too fooled! I ride a vaulting horse who almost went to WEG, and he still has a lot of work on the basics to do before he's ready to teach anyone anything about dressage! This is year three of riding him and we've just started getting him working over his back and starting to feel like a REAL dressage horse. (I bet the European horses are fantastic, but in my very limited experience with other vaulting clubs here, I think a lot of US vaulting programs have a long way to go on the training/movement front -- they tend to produce one-trick ponies, a little bit -- the horses are phenomenally quiet, rhythmic, and obedient but have no idea how to carry themselves).

Alagirl
Oct. 10, 2010, 05:18 PM
The really good vaulting horses are -as all the top athletes - are hard to come by.
And as Bluey stated, the circling, balance shifts, etc are hard on them, so they need to be well trained and exercised in dressage.

A cousin of mine vaulted on her eventing horse...:)