PDA

View Full Version : Wayne Quarles/have you ridden before him

spirithorse
Oct. 8, 2010, 04:51 PM
Has anyone ridden in clinics with this gentleman? Would like to know your impressions.

Director of Activities for the US Pony Club National Office in Lexington, Kentucky and an AHSA Judge since 1983, Wayne holds "R" cards in both Dressage and Combined training, is an FEI "I" 3-Day Event Judge, a "R" Technical delegate for Combined Training, a "r" Technical Delegate for Dressage.
He has served as a panelist for the AHSA/USCTA Judge and TD Seminars as well as an AHSA/USDF TD seminar. Co-author of the USCTA Training Program for Judge's and TD's and a past USCTA Area Chairman, he is currently a member of the USCTA Education committee and Chairman of the USCTA Licensed Officials committee.

mjrtango93
Oct. 8, 2010, 05:23 PM
I know Wayne.....actually I am one of his "godstudents" as he says (you know like a godparent). Known him since I was about 12. He used to event, had his stallion Dilligaf at our barn with some of his students for a couple years. He and my trainer go back probably close to 30 years (don't tell him I said that part). Anyway depends on what you are looking to get from the clinic. He is a judge so has an eye at least for what he is looking for in a test, is very good at explaining things in a simple manner, and is excellent with adult ammie types. Not sure if you would see too many top trainers taking clinics from him as his background is eventing. He's pretty relaxed and easy going, not the slavedriver, push till your about to croak type. So like I said depends on what your looking for.

spirithorse
Oct. 8, 2010, 05:37 PM
He has a 'very' good eye. I like that fact he has the eventing background. I have now ridden twice and will ride tomorrow. He has helped me tremendously with the things I knew I was doing wrong but could not see. Which helps because I quickly 'feel' the errors [my mistakes] and am able to correct them.
He not only explains what you are doing wrong, but actually teaches you how to correct it. And he does so with you and the horse partnership in mind.
It is such a pleasure to ride in a clinic for him, you get so much out of it.

slp2
Oct. 8, 2010, 09:44 PM
I have been judged by him (in the dressage phase at events). What I really liked about his judging is that he was willing to use the entire scale. Not the usual test of 5-7's. He gave me a couple 9's and some 5's (maybe a 4 too--but I mostly remember the 9's :D). I love judges like that because I feel like they are really watching closely and pointing out the very good and the not so good movements in a test. He provides very helpful and accurate comments too.

spirithorse
Oct. 9, 2010, 03:56 PM
Well its Saturday afternoon, and I got my ride in this morning.
All I can say is it was a great lesson. Mr. Quarles has a very sharp eye for the rider's mistakes, and he knows how to communicate changes the rider needs to take in order to facilitate the horse/rider connection.
He also communicates clearly on how to accomplish the task he is asking of the rider.