PDA

View Full Version : western dressage clothing

Wellspotted
Oct. 8, 2010, 04:50 PM
What is the proper clothing for showing in western dressage? Western show clothes seem a bit glittery compared to traditional dressage wear, but if it is correct we can go that way.
For cold weather, is there an appropriate jacket to wear?

Wellspotted
Oct. 12, 2010, 11:15 AM
Anybody? Come on, I know I'm not the only western dressage rider out here. :cool:

BetterOffRed
Oct. 12, 2010, 11:21 AM
What is a western dressage class?

Is it a western class that allows a snaffle bit?

Quest52
Oct. 12, 2010, 11:42 AM
yea... sorry... I'm confused too... western dressage?

katarine
Oct. 12, 2010, 11:47 AM
They are doing it here some in the schooling shows to encourage interest and participation. So far, no entries.

You just ride the tests in western gear.

If helmets are required, then a helmet.
Black pants and black chaps would look quite nice.
Cream or white or light colored fitted hobby horse type of top.
Equitation jacket or dark, snug fitting vest if it's cool out.
Conservative colored saddle pad.

alibi_18
Oct. 12, 2010, 11:51 AM
Looks like western pleasure but in a dressage arena. Head set mimicking the dressage but gaits clearly pleasure...if this is what we are talking about...and I don't know if this is a good example but think that matches the <description>...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHYlPnaHnN4

The thing is I don't think western pleasure nor dressage would allow that 4 beat canter....

Wellspotted
Oct. 12, 2010, 11:57 AM
Western dressage is intended to help western riders and their horses work together on things like balance, carriage, and communication (returning western horses to the snaffle bit, for instance). (I'm not sure I agree that western horses' carriage necessarily needs to be improved.)

There's a lot more here, for anyone interested in learning more:

http://www.morganhorse.com/news_events/latest_news/western_dressage
(Scroll down to "Why Western Dressage".)
The reason I'm interested in it is because I have been riding at dressage barns in English saddles and, as I get older and achy, I find the western saddle gives my legs and feet more support (fenders and wide stirrups rather than narrow leathers and hard heavy metal stirrups); plus the fact that I personally do not like what has happened in Western Pleasure (the horses' carriage and way of going). Where I live many people "ride western" because they do not believe in taking lessons or understand the difference between riding and just being on a horse. They think English riding is for "sissies" and don't like the clothing any more than the tack. If they felt welcome and interested in dressage that might be good for them and their horses.
Western dressage lets me continue a discipline I enjoy (dressage) in a saddle I can relax and actually ride in. :yes: :yes: :yes:

leilatigress
Oct. 12, 2010, 12:11 PM
Ok the Western Princess in me is partially excited about this and a bit mortified at some of the color combos that I know will come into play here. OTOH How the hell do you judge those movements? It would be interesting to see some of the top dressage riders in a western saddle doing the tests. If that is what they are going for the the WP horses will not make it.
Anyways back to the topic. I'd go with whatever you would wear for WP. Depending on your horse's coat color and your hair color you would need to plan accordingly.
http://www.ultimatehorsesite.com/tackpicker/index.html
That can help you out with that.
http://www.hobbyhorseinc.com/09_dress_for_success/winning_colors/index.shtml Best one for the purpose.

Wellspotted
Oct. 13, 2010, 05:25 PM
I love that Morgan video! I don't know about the gaits either but I do like the overall look. Since it is only early days yet, I think that's a good example.

Here is a dressage/western video I love:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrYOQ52U3LQ

(This one shows a dressage rider in a wstern saddle, leilatigress. :) )

Thanks for the suggestions about what to wear. I like the contrast in the western/dressage video of the black-and-white themes in reverse.

Coreene
Oct. 13, 2010, 06:48 PM
I am actually showing my dressage horse in a western class on the 23rd at a fundraiser show - no expectation of anything except a fun time and lots of laughter - and I got a totally pimped out Hobby Horse shirt. I think it is called the Vegas Tunic. Screaming pimpage. Divine.

Sorry, got sidetracked but had to give them a thumbs up. I simply love their service, they rock.

Wayside
Oct. 13, 2010, 08:14 PM
Haven't seen one in a while, but I know there used to be "alternate tack" classes at some of the schooling shows around here, where people could choose to ride in western saddles and so on.

Not sure if that's what the OP is referring to or not, but generally tidy and clean schooling clothes seemed to be the name of the game.

mypaintwattie
Oct. 13, 2010, 10:15 PM
When I've seen them at local schooling shows they are pretty much nothing more than a workman-like attired rider with western tack. The way the horse moves is similar to a dressage horse, not exactly the gaits you would see a western pleasure horse doing. I'd love to try it myself one day. As long as you are neatly attired you should be fine, otherwise if you want to throw on the bling I agree with the Hobby Horse suggestions- great clothes that look fabulous and are pretty easy on the wallet compared to some of the other western show clothing out there.

Wellspotted
Oct. 15, 2010, 04:37 PM
Was I surprised to find Hobby Horse clothing in my Smith Bros. catalog! I started browsing through it the other night and found Hobby Horse! :)
I love all the bling clothes they have but will probably go with something like the bling-less mock turtleneck and plain black pants for showing.

Good luck for the 23rd, Coreene. Please post pics and results!

I have been wishing there were some alternate-tack classes around here, Wayside. I wish we had them. That's one reason I'm really glad we've started offering western dressage.