PDA

View Full Version : Your personal freestyles

netg
Oct. 8, 2010, 02:54 PM
What music do you use in freestyles, or intend to use in freestyles? It's easier to critique others than create your own. I'm aware of that, but so far have only critiqued others. Within the next year I'll be working on changing that and am interested in the experiences of those of you who have done far more than me. (Or those of you who are in my stage - what do you envision?)

I've never done a freestyle, and I know it will be even harder than I think to come up with one. I look forward to it, though. I have a CA-bred who was named Tucson for some reason... but now he lives in Tucson. I have musician friends, including one with a recording studio in his home. I'm already telling them which of their songs I want the instrumental tracks for to have them used in my someday freestyle. I foresee a lot of songs with Vicki Brown's (http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/VickiBrown) violin in my future. Especially as she appears in songs like El Vagabundo (http://brianlopezmusic.com/).

meupatdoes
Oct. 8, 2010, 03:22 PM
I would like at some point to do a freestyle with a lot of Radical Face, especially their songs Glory and Welcome Home on the Ghost album.

I would also like to do something to the music from Wicked.
Yeah, I know it has words but whatever.

MelanieC
Oct. 8, 2010, 03:34 PM
I'd like to do one someday to "La Vie est Belle" by MC Solaar. I figure if I were going to do one it should be to music that I actually like.

singak8
Oct. 8, 2010, 05:52 PM
I Have been creating my own for 5 years now, after paying to have one made and having it be almost exactly the same as another one done by that choreographer.... I do have some music editing background but mostly you can learn as you make them. I use Sony Acid to edit and my trainer choreographs. The first one a made was to wicked...it did not go over well because the beat is at times the vocals. The audience loved it! I have done horror music (tubular hell, nightmare on elm street, halloween) with mixed results (68%-55% depending on the judge). I have done The Godfather but it is difficult to find a good 2 beat track. I created one for my friend from Esteban (spanish guitar) that she did very well at USPC championships a few years ago with. I did Fiddler on the Roof (instrumental) it was good but my horse hated it. Disco (I will survive, last dance, raining men) all instrumental versions went very well as did Grease (with lyrics). You just need to find what suits you and your horse and what you have fun working with, I would steer away from Wicked though....:yes: Good luck!

Sancudo
Oct. 8, 2010, 07:49 PM
I've made several. Mainly classic rock songs (Spooky, Grazing in the Grass, etc) for friends, and then I have a very bouncy Hanoverian I always make something fun with. I did my first musical to 50s music with woodblocks and alarm clocks rings called "The Syncopated Clock" and two other songs. Then I did a Billy Joel medley, and the last one I did was my "rap/techno" musical that I loved! Intro was MGMT's "Electric Feel", canter was OutKast's "The Way You Move" trot and walk was Gorillaz. No lyrics. It was a lot of fun.

meupatdoes
Oct. 8, 2010, 08:29 PM
The first one a made was to wicked...it did not go over well because the beat is at times the vocals.
I would steer away from Wicked though....:yes: Good luck!

Oh, poop.

But maybe a blessing in disguise as it is a sentimental favorite and I would probably burst into tears the second "Because I knew you..." came on and not be able to steer around the arena.

Do you have any video of you doing the Wicked one though?
Sometimes I could use a youtube to cry over.... :lol::lol:

ArabDiva
Oct. 8, 2010, 08:34 PM
I am hoping to do one this coming year that will include the instrumental track from Muse's "Undisclosed Desires" as the intro. Don't know what I'll put with it yet, but I just love the intro to that song :)

dotneko
Oct. 8, 2010, 08:46 PM
I have done two I-1 for two different horses
one was Rockford Files and Classical Gas - that
was 15 years ago.

The second was from Jesus Christ Superstar -
Herod's Song for the canter, Everthing's All Right
for the trot (kind of an inside joke since I spent a
lot of time whispering 'It's all right, you're fine" when
he was ready to explode) and I don't remember the
walk. I had two 'O's' judge me - one gave me a 65%
and loved the music, the other a 55% and hated it.

I was preparing my GP freestyle to Beatle's music-
Yellow Submarine and Penny Lane for the passage,
Lady Madonna for the walk, Ticket to Ride for
canter, and Help! for the trot. It was a lot of fun.
'Help me get my feet back on the ground' was the
extended trot.
Unfortunately I was diagnosed with cancer that year
and never was able to compete at that level again.
One of the few things I never got to do on my
'bucket list'.

singak8
Oct. 9, 2010, 11:23 AM
Oh, poop.

But maybe a blessing in disguise as it is a sentimental favorite and I would probably burst into tears the second "Because I knew you..." came on and not be able to steer around the arena.

Do you have any video of you doing the Wicked one though?
Sometimes I could use a youtube to cry over.... :lol::lol:

I think I only have it on VHS, but if over december when I am home I find it and get it onto dvd I will let you know and maybe post it on youtube or something. It isn't my greatest riding, but I was 16 and riding a QH who had to learn first level dressage in a month for USPC championships after my mare got hurt. We entered to popular and trotted to it and walked --> cantered to Wonderful. =) It was a lot of fun.

RedHorses
Oct. 10, 2010, 01:23 PM
I used some of the music from Monsters Inc. for my First Level (first ever) freestyle. My horse was bang on the beat at the beginning of the season, but developed a lot more self carriage over the summer and was distinctly behind it by the end. It was great fun and the canter music I chose even had a little dingle into trot beat for the simple change of lead through trot. :lol:

I'd love to use some music from Carmen, but it wouldn't suit my horse. Gladiator, but ditto about not suiting the horse. I like Riverdance's music, but for a while it was overused so I haven't really considered using it.

Mike Matson
Oct. 10, 2010, 02:12 PM
News flash! It isn't about what music YOU like, it's about what music WORKS for the horse. Now if the two come together, great. But you start with the horse. That's who is "dancing". The reason we see crappy freestyles is because the rider said "I love this music". But it does nothing for he horse.

dotneko
Oct. 10, 2010, 04:56 PM
Of course it has to work for the horse, but it also
darn well better be music YOU like. You will have to
listen to it for hours. Personally, I would kill myself
if the only music that fit was, say, Gregorian chants
or country-western or opera :D

Aleuronx
Oct. 10, 2010, 06:32 PM
I competed in my first freestyles this season also doing the music myself. I used Audacity for putting together and editing the music. It's not too hard if you're willing to spend some time figuring out the program and doing tweaks with it. Download is free so my time working on it was far cheaper than paying for one to be made!

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

I used orchestrated music from the Zelda video game. We had an awesome end salute piece, made people jump up and cheer. Yea, we had flair. Judging wise we had artistic scores ranging from 5.5 to 7.5, the one low score that we got (5.5) the comment was that 'it was too much like background music'. I took that comment with a grain of salt that the judge didn't appreciate orchestral music, as the rest of the season (including the other judge for that particular ride) enjoyed it.

Sancudo!! I've been searching out music to do for next year and I was SO thinking of using MGMT Electric feel for an entrance. The beat of the beginning of that song is so awesome.

Also been toying with doing an entrance to the Jimmy Eat World song Sweetness with the lyric part; "If you are listening, wooo ooo ooo oooo, sing it back wooo ooo ooo oooo"

netg
Oct. 10, 2010, 10:11 PM
News flash! It isn't about what music YOU like, it's about what music WORKS for the horse. Now if the two come together, great. But you start with the horse. That's who is "dancing". The reason we see crappy freestyles is because the rider said "I love this music". But it does nothing for he horse.

I think we all pretty much understood that on this thread, so not really so much of a news flash... But I'd love your answer to the original question since you know so much more about freestyles. Your input was one of the answers I was most looking forward to when I started the thread. :)

Mike Matson
Oct. 11, 2010, 01:10 AM
What I saw posted was people saying what music they wanted to use. When you come into the game with music preferences, you miss out on a lot of great music that may work for your horse.

When I do my "Ride to Music" clinics I sometimes hear riders tell me what kind of music they would like to use. I tell them to keep an open mind and let's see what works for the horse. When I find the music that works (as validated by the rider and the spectators), the response I get is "I never would have thought that music would be perfect for my horse! I love it!"

So keep an open mind and don't allow your preferences to exclude other music.

netg
Oct. 11, 2010, 01:14 AM
Oh, thanks for that clarification!

That definitely makes sense and is great to keep in mind. :)

When I talk about the music I want to use, it's with the thought of what music sounds like it fits with my horse in my head. Not necessarily that I'm *right* as someone who has never put a freestyle together, but when I hear music and can imagine seeing my horse move to it, with it giving the impression I want, that's when it becomes music I want to use.

Mike Matson
Oct. 11, 2010, 01:20 AM
You can imagine it, but the reality most of the time is that music is not going to work. It's hard finding great music for your horse and harder when you limit yourself to a few preferences. I have 1300 pieces of timed music in my data base and I think I need about 2600 pieces to be sure I can find music for every horse I work with. So far I have found music for every horse at my clinics, but I'll be happier when I get to that 2600 figure. It took 10 years to get to that 1300 figure. Hope I make it to the next ten! :)

Quest52
Oct. 11, 2010, 01:43 AM
I've done a few myself... and I'm going to have to agree with Mike. I've done a few that were purely for exhibition value and for those I did silly stuff... like one that was during Halloween where I made my horse look like he had been bitten by a vampire and wrote a red stock tie with my shad and rode completely to cartoon music (ie: Underdog, Space Ghost, Flintstones..) If I remember correctly I got a "10" on my music score and the comment was "they are both completely out of control :)"

But when actually riding for true score and honest competition I've put together songs I've never even heard of. I did one where my walk was to "Green Onions" and I hadn't head of it before. That particular PSG freestyle was also mostly trot to Mission Impossible 2 (trot) and the canter was "Tequila". We got amazing coefficients, never under an 8 on our effort... but my point is that those are not songs I owned before that, nor ones I had really listened to or paid attention to.

Let your horse tell you what he/she likes... :)

singak8
Oct. 11, 2010, 08:20 AM
You can imagine it, but the reality most of the time is that music is not going to work. It's hard finding great music for your horse and harder when you limit yourself to a few preferences.

This is very very true. More than once I have found myself using music I originally bought for a different horse and sometimes rider that I hadn't ever imagined would work with my mare and also sometimes switching because she hated music that went well. (She is very picky -- it is strange) This was harder to accept when I had allowed myself to get attached to my original idea. Things have been much smoother since I started watching songs with her and doing the math before getting attached because I had imagined something working.

Heinz 57
Oct. 11, 2010, 12:33 PM
You can imagine it, but the reality most of the time is that music is not going to work. It's hard finding great music for your horse and harder when you limit yourself to a few preferences. I have 1300 pieces of timed music in my data base and I think I need about 2600 pieces to be sure I can find music for every horse I work with. So far I have found music for every horse at my clinics, but I'll be happier when I get to that 2600 figure. It took 10 years to get to that 1300 figure. Hope I make it to the next ten! :)

Mike, I have a technical question for you, and I'm being humbly honest here. What sort of tempo/timing do you look for, for each gait? Is it most helpful to develop an ear for it when selecting music that is not recorded specifically for musical freestyles?

I have a horse I'd love to do a freestyle for in 2011, that is a rather large mover. I'm thinking if I could get a feel for the appropriate timing in my head (previous musical experience here, specifically piano) I'd have a better chance of finding music that might fit him.

carolprudm
Oct. 11, 2010, 12:57 PM
Ignore the video but this has to be my entrance music
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYx88tg0BCc

Mike Matson
Oct. 11, 2010, 01:24 PM
Mike, I have a technical question for you, and I'm being humbly honest here. What sort of tempo/timing do you look for, for each gait? Is it most helpful to develop an ear for it when selecting music that is not recorded specifically for musical freestyles?

I have a horse I'd love to do a freestyle for in 2011, that is a rather large mover. I'm thinking if I could get a feel for the appropriate timing in my head (previous musical experience here, specifically piano) I'd have a better chance of finding music that might fit him.

If you take a look at my data base, www.equimusic.com (http://www.equimusic.com) , you will see I have it set up for the tempo ranges at each gait. From the site you can link to sound clips on Amazon.com or download the music from various internet sites, including Amazon. I've also found many of the selections can be found on YouTube if you want to listen without buying.

Hope this helps! :)

Heinz 57
Oct. 11, 2010, 05:28 PM
Hope this helps! :)

Yep! Thanks a bunch. Off to download a metronome app to ride with tonight. Won't do me much good to look at music by BPM if I don't know what range he's in! :)

I loathe a poorly put together musical freestyle. I watched an acquaintance of mine perform one last year that had accompanying music that made me want to puke, or at least put earplugs in. What's worse, she has scored decently well with it.

Mike Matson
Oct. 11, 2010, 07:57 PM
I loathe a poorly put together musical freestyle. I watched an acquaintance of mine perform one last year that had accompanying music that made me want to puke, or at least put earplugs in. What's worse, she has scored decently well with it.

Yes, this happens. Some judges just don't have a musical sense.

Heinz 57
Oct. 11, 2010, 08:50 PM
I'm sure the music was purchased - and it was some awful piece that reminded me of the grandstand-type music they play during 4th of July.

:no:

leilatigress
Oct. 12, 2010, 11:56 AM
I'm sure the music was purchased - and it was some awful piece that reminded me of the grandstand-type music they play during 4th of July.

:no:

We have one of those! Very plain bay OTTB that is convinced he is the be all end all. He LOVES the marching music and anything with lots of pomp and trumpets gets him stepping high. Other end of the spectrum is the flashy pepe le pu arab who prefers slow movements and can't stand anything with an electric guitar. Bust out the country music though particularly George Strait and he's your two steppin partner.