PDA

View Full Version : saddle thread, sorry again...

AlterBy
Oct. 8, 2010, 07:26 AM
And yes, this is an alter.

I want a custom saddle. I'm in Canada.

I was looking at getting a new custom dressage saddle and have actually checked everything possible of what is available in the monoflap dressage saddle market around the world...lol

Ordered one. Got pain in the a. trouble, ill fitting (had measurements taken by a (paid by me) different person the second time) squeeking tree (they changed it for free but damaged the underneath leather...), bad CS, long long time waiting, finally got refunded, whole drama over a year...and so....no saddle yet...

I'm now confused, still want a custom saddle BUT want it to
really be custom...

So are there real reps out there who stand by their brand and are able to take measurement of both horse and rider and fullfil a rider's dream?!?

Have been looking at Antares, Devoucoux, Cwd, Custom Saddlery...
and was curious about Hennig but can't find a rep or even an answer from us websites...so I think I'll let go.... even if they are beautifull and look so comfy...

So any thoughts?

naturalequus
Oct. 8, 2010, 09:25 AM
Not sure whereabouts you are however there is also DK Saddlery in Alberta (though he travels and has saddled a lot of international horses). Not entirely sure about him (no personal experience actually fitting) however he is another option.

Donella
Oct. 8, 2010, 12:35 PM
I have a few Regal saddles which are basically the same as the DK. The saddlemaker is in BC but he comes to Alberta fairly frequently to do the original fitting and to do adjustments. Danny of DK is in Calgary and from what I understand he will travel a bit to custom fit you ect. The saddles are really comfortable if you like a really deep seat and larger knee rolls.

I love the one Regal that was custom fit to me, but the other I bought second hand and wish I hadn't. I am now looking for something custom but want something with a more open seat....but yeah, basically in the same boat as you. Might just end up going with a Regal/DK again.

joiedevie99
Oct. 8, 2010, 12:47 PM
So much depends on the fitter. I use Custom Saddlery, and love my fitter. She delivered exactly what I asked for on the first try.

mbm
Oct. 8, 2010, 01:11 PM
you might want to do a search on DKs before you make a call....

i have no clue if he works in CAN, but you can try Mehrdad @ JRD - he makes fully custom saddles , has a monoflap design and teh saddles are made here in CA.... they are made by hand, he has a multitude of tree/bars and will literally measure everything there is to measure on you and your horse to get it right.

http://www.jrd-tack.com/

i have a JRD and both my horse and i love it.

Quest52
Oct. 8, 2010, 01:28 PM
if you're in Canada, Schleese will do a completely custom saddle for you from the ground up. I just spoke with a girl who is a para dressage rider who had a "mash up" of a Wave and a Link (the "wink") made specifically for her horse's back and her body. I guess Mr. Schleese himself came out and had a mold made of the horse's back and then made the saddle directly from that. I don't think you can get more custom than that, right?

AlterBy
Oct. 8, 2010, 02:14 PM
Thanks a lot! (and thanks for keeping it 'bashing free' so far!)

I had never heard of Mehrdad @JDR saddles and will look at it.

Regal Saddle, Kevin Lote website doesn't work...

Custom Saddlery; I saw one and did not really like the leather...they probably have different types...I'm more looking into soft buffalo.

Schleese; I know someone who is riding in a new one and after few adjustement, she seems to really enjoy it but...I really don't like her position at all, make her sit like in a chair...(not my friend, not my horse, not my problem as far as she is comfy in it!) What if that happen to me...and be told by the rep that it is fine and realise later on? (Not that I wouldn't feel it but you know...) and I don't think I can afford Mr Schleese in person to come downtown and mold me...so maybe just a bit less custom!!! LOL But yeah, I'll keep it in mind and asking questions and making few phone calls can't kill me.

Also, I don't want any of those Air panels (so DK might be out, and Schleese use do to that too isn't?)...since it seems to be quite a pain, I would rather stick with wool...?

Quest52
Oct. 8, 2010, 04:22 PM
Thanks a lot! (and thanks for keeping it 'bashing free' so far!)

I had never heard of Mehrdad @JDR saddles and will look at it.

Regal Saddle, Kevin Lote website doesn't work...

Custom Saddlery; I saw one and did not really like the leather...they probably have different types...I'm more looking into soft buffalo.

Schleese; I know someone who is riding in a new one and after few adjustement, she seems to really enjoy it but...I really don't like her position at all, make her sit like in a chair...(not my friend, not my horse, not my problem as far as she is comfy in it!) What if that happen to me...and be told by the rep that it is fine and realise later on? (Not that I wouldn't feel it but you know...) and I don't think I can afford Mr Schleese in person to come downtown and mold me...so maybe just a bit less custom!!! LOL But yeah, I'll keep it in mind and asking questions and making few phone calls can't kill me.

Also, I don't want any of those Air panels (so DK might be out, and Schleese use do to that too isn't?)...since it seems to be quite a pain, I would rather stick with wool...?

schleese.... extended stirrup bars. I bet your friend doesn't have them. Another custom option for those with some leg issues.

arabiansrock
Oct. 8, 2010, 04:28 PM
schleese will flock with wool, flair is only an option. ditto the extended stirrup bars. they do carry used (trade ins) that they may be able to refit to you for a lower price.

Donella
Oct. 8, 2010, 08:13 PM
RE Schleese...I notice they are in Ontario. How far will they travel or do they have alot of competant saddle fitting reps out west? I am in Alberta and would love to try out their saddles but want something really custom.

3s
Oct. 9, 2010, 03:32 PM
Schleese travels all across north America. Check out their website for the schedule of the next couple months.

Quest52
Oct. 9, 2010, 06:51 PM
They also travel across parts of Canada. (which is helpful for the OP since they are Canadian)

Feel free to contact them and ask, they are very helpful and get back to you rather quickly. Their fitters are very well trained and very informative.

Bogie
Oct. 9, 2010, 06:57 PM
Definitely do a search on DK saddles before you go that route ;).

I had a Schleese saddle (not custom) and while I thought it was a beautiful saddle, I would not have spent the $$ for it new.

I have a Roosli that is semi-custom. Luckily my trainer had one that fit my horse beautifully so I was able to order the same tree, and it was also customized for me with an extra long flap and with the stirrup bars moved back (I have a very long femur).

I've had that saddle now for 12 years and it's still going strong.

SerenaGinger
Oct. 9, 2010, 08:04 PM

Schleese; I know someone who is riding in a new one and after few adjustement, she seems to really enjoy it but...

My daughter's Custom Wolfgang Solo is buffalo leather - very soft! It isn't a monoflap but their website says they have a monoflap buffalo leather.

I just got a custom Schleese about a month ago for my harder-to-fit gelding. It fist him like a glove, and really puts me on my seat bones.

So I'm happy with both saddles, but I'm not sure I'd pay Schleese prices if I had an easy fit horse.

AlterBy
Oct. 12, 2010, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the answers!

I will call some reps this week and see what can be done.

I don't know the Roosli and will look at it.

Oh, and the CWD rep just emailed me back and will be passing by...should I have a look at the saddles?

Valentina_32926
Oct. 12, 2010, 02:57 PM
I own two such saddles - Verhan (Odyssey I). Owner lives in Ocala, saddle made in europe by people that really know what they're doing. Owner and travels locally (to WPB often during winter) for fittings and to make adjustments. Second saddle I purchased owner came to my house, evaluated current (verhan) saddle fit and ordered his 2010 saddle version. It fit perfectly when it arrived (he brought ir over himself and evaluated the fit. Adjustable tree (unless you purchase the least expensive - Hannover - model which is NOT adjustable).

Since you're in Canada you'd have to do the tracing yourself but Bernardo (owner) will work with you. By the way Bernardo also rides and teaches dressage, so he understands the riders needs.

http://www.verhan.com/saddles_dressage.html

reefy!
Oct. 12, 2010, 08:11 PM
for my Custom Icon Flight to arrive - it's a bit of a wait!

Monoflap, buffalo leather - really soft and grippy, hopefully very durable.

I have a couple more weeks to wait but it seems to be interminable!