PDA

View Full Version : Re-setting stirrup bars

GreyStreet
Oct. 7, 2010, 09:49 AM
Has anyone had this done? How feasible is this for a saddle built with a changeable gullet, from the Bates/Wintec/Collegiate line?
I have a saddle that is quite comfortable but I find myself constantly fighting with my leg slipping forward to accommodate the forward flap/stirrup bars (it's an all purpose).
I am actively trying to sell it - but am not having much success. I'm just trying to explore other options, if there are any available. In a dream world, I could have the saddle adjusted to fit, pop on some knee blocks and get the stirrup bars adjusted - but, I'm assuming that's all going to cost more than the saddle is worth.
Unfortunately I am not in the position to purchase another saddle while I wait for this one to sell - I do have my eye on some decent dressage saddles but again, that is contigent on my saddle selling. In the mean time I'd love people's experiences on if the types of adjustments I've mentioned are even possible with the changeable gullet saddles.
Thanks in advance!

buck22
Oct. 7, 2010, 04:52 PM
anything is possible but you're right its likely going to far outweigh the value, changing the stirrup bars on most saddles is not a terribly simple task. Also, just because you move the stirrup bars and slap some thigh blocks on the flaps, your a/p isn't magically transformed into a dressage (in the vast majority of instances). a/p's are designed specifically for riding with a medium length stirrup: ideal for some flat work and for some jumping, so the saddle's balance point is designed to suit. Even if you could get the modifications done for free, you would be forever fighting the saddle's balance and no better off.

you're really better off not investing further in the saddle, lowering your asking price to the point that it does sell, and then moving on.

carolprudm
Oct. 7, 2010, 05:24 PM
I have seen people slip these
http://www.doversaddlery.com/rubber-martingale-ring/p/X1-0954/cn/4688/
onto the stirrup bars to push the leather a bit farther back

Bogie
Oct. 7, 2010, 05:34 PM
email Patty at saddledr@aol.com and ask. She does high quality work at reasonable prices and she'll let you know if she thinks it's worth your while.

Or try Trumbull Mountain Saddlery. They have a saddle fitter on staff.

Lusoluv
Oct. 7, 2010, 07:09 PM
It seems many of today's dressage saddles have the stirrup bar too far forward thus encouraging a hint of chair seat. What saddles are know for having a more vertical line from the deepest part of the seat through the stirrup bar? I know some saddles have adjustable stirrup bars, but I think they are in the > $2,000 price range!

angel
Oct. 8, 2010, 06:10 AM
Most saddles today are designed for a man to ride. A woman's conformation through the pelvis is different, which is why there is a problem. How the stirrup bars are set depend on how much of the saddle's tree is flat enough far enough back to take the extended length of the bar. Though I am not a saddler, from my experience with having bars changed, the flatter the seat of the saddle, the easier it becomes to lengthen the stirrup bars to move the stirrup leathers back. This means that a really deep seat on the saddle is very limiting for the stirrup bar length.

An AP saddle is not designed for the sitting trot. There is a slight slope to the saddle which is more condusive for posting trot and doing low jumps. This means the tree is not flat enough for extending the stirrup bars.