PDA

View Full Version : I "rode" my 3 y/o for the first time! UPDATE: WE TROTTED! PG 3

KrazyTBMare
Oct. 6, 2010, 11:00 PM
Sooooooooo.........

I got on Rex, my 3 y/o (June baby) for the first time! Yay. My boarder got on him back in May and sat on him - thats all. I have yet to do so. I had his OCD hock surgery done, recovered from that, and then we had over 57 days straight of over 90 degrees with 90% + humidity (IE over 105 heat index EVERY day) so needless to say, I was NOT working my horse in that heat.

With crazy work schedule, surgery/CT scans, and then WEG, I havent worked with him in 3 weeks. So tonight (of course a Noreaster is blowing in so it was 78 today and quickly dropped to 60 in like 2 hours) I lunged him in full tack. First canter to the left had a little leap and bound and then a quick reminder this is not play time. Great canters after that. Then first canter to the right resulted in a HUGE buck but he did not try to run or be silly after that. Tracking right has been iffy in the past where he will stop and turn to go left. None of that and perfect verbal cues, great whoas, etc.

I worked him just enough to see the veins popping a little and he was blowing his nostrils a TINY bit. Then I decided we would use him being tired to my advantage and just work on standing still at the mounting block. Well of course being the "been there done that" horse that he is, he was 100% perfectly still and great with me jumping around on the stool and stepping in the stirrup and laying over his back in the saddle. So when I stood up in the left stirrup, I just swung the right leg over and tada.

Of course, TOTAL non event. He tooks a few steps backwards (which I figured would be his direction of choice) and my boarder led him by the halter (under the bridle) 1/2 way down my field and back. I was able to adjust my seat, shift the saddle to the right a little, and have good leg pressure with no problem at all. After just sitting for like 3 mins I got off b/c he was just absolutely perfect and tired. He has little topline now so just standing with a rider and saddle is a lot for him right now. But I am going to repeat this same thing this weekend to keep it fresh and positive in his mind. My girlfriend is going to come over and we are going to do pony rides.

Two quick pics. Forewarning - sweater, jeans, and cowboy boot combo is not flattering but hey, Im on my 3 y/o for the first time! :D

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r186/krazytbmare1/Rex/rexshantelsit1.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r186/krazytbmare1/Rex/rexshantelsit2.jpg

Lolliver
Oct. 6, 2010, 11:05 PM
He is obviously very concerned with the whole process!! :lol: Congrats, I'll bet you are off to a great start!

KrazyTBMare
Oct. 7, 2010, 05:40 PM
Thanks.

At least I got views. :)

Blue Domino
Oct. 7, 2010, 05:49 PM
Does your 'boarder' have a name? It was nice of her to hold him for you.

mbm
Oct. 7, 2010, 06:12 PM
yeah! congrats! :)

Gayla
Oct. 7, 2010, 06:21 PM
Does your 'boarder' have a name? It was nice of her to hold him for you.

Lots of people don't like to be mentioned on such a public forum by name...what a weird comment by you.

Congratulations. You two look happy. :)

Long Spot
Oct. 7, 2010, 06:21 PM
Time flies! I can't believe he's that old already. He's really grown up into quite the man.

Many congrats, KTBM. Super pleased to hear it went well. How exciting. I see many happy days ahead for you two.

Bogey2
Oct. 7, 2010, 07:03 PM
congratulations!!! Glad to hear the surgery went well for him! Happy Trails!

Blue Domino
Oct. 7, 2010, 07:11 PM
Lots of people don't like to be mentioned on such a public forum by name...what a weird comment by you.

Gayla, it's been my experience that people who call other people wierd, are usually the pot calling the kettle black types.

But I'll be polite, your'e probably just very eccentric.

And congratulations on backing your 3 year old. You two make a very attractive pair.

Bravestrom
Oct. 7, 2010, 07:16 PM
So great for you - I started riding my 3 yr old three weeks ago and did our first canter this week as well as our first ride in a dressage saddle today.

We have our first lesson on monday.

KrazyTBMare
Oct. 7, 2010, 07:21 PM
Thanks everyone! Time really does fly. Hard to believe that last March he was a gangly 18 month old!

And of course my boarder has a name. What does that have to do with the post?

Blue Domino
Oct. 7, 2010, 08:04 PM
Really nothing, just that having been a boarder for years, I find the term 'my boarder' offensive. I've never been a 'my' to any barn owner.

The boarder is not the hired help.

And again, what a lovely pair you and your 3 year old make. Sent my 3 year old off to the trainers this year cause I'm to old and fat to start him myself. I'm very impressed that you started your guy yourself.

KrazyTBMare
Oct. 7, 2010, 09:43 PM
Well no shes not hired help. wth? She is my boarder opposed to my neighbors boarder or the barn down the street's boarder. Do you get bothered when someone calls you "my best friend" or "my coworker" etc etc?

He is my first green horse that I have ever owned/worked with as far as knowing how to lead/somewhat load/stand for vet/somewhat for farrier. Hes super easy which is why I love his sire as he passes that along (Routinier). If I had the money, I would def consider sending him out like you did but thats not an option and *knock on wood* hopefully it wont be a must in the future.

EqTrainer
Oct. 7, 2010, 09:50 PM
Nevermind the eejit. Glad he is doing so well and you are having fun with him!

ThreeFigs
Oct. 7, 2010, 09:55 PM
Oh, my! Rex is all grown up! Congratulations, KTBM -- he's beautiful!

katarine
Oct. 7, 2010, 10:06 PM
It would seem we could rest easy on the notion that no one's calling Blue Domino, 'my best friend' ;)

Very happy that the first 'up' on your good boy was a total nonevent. Yea.

I'll tell my husband, my cat, and my toothbrush all about it. Mine mine mine !!!

Blue Domino
Oct. 7, 2010, 10:40 PM
Katarine Dear,

DQ's don't have friends, they just have acquaintances. You'r on the dressage forum. I'm sorry to be the one to break it to you. If you want a friend, maybe the Eventing or Jumpers or Hunters would be a nice place for you.:lol:

princessfluffybritches
Oct. 7, 2010, 11:14 PM
This snarkiness is sooooo entertaining!!!!!!

Beautiful horse!

KrazyTBMare
Oct. 8, 2010, 12:40 AM
This snarkiness is sooooo entertaining!!!!!!

Beautiful horse!

Agreed.

And thanks!

PNWjumper
Oct. 8, 2010, 12:57 AM
congratulations! Your boy is beautiful!

I'm in the first 90 days on my 3yo as well. I forgot how much fun it is to start a baby :)

dwblover
Oct. 8, 2010, 09:03 AM
My word, we can start an argument about ANYTHING on COTH now, LOL!

Anyways, all I have to say about your pic is WOW! Your boy is SO handsome!!! And I love that huge smile on your face, he looks like he has a fantastic temperament. May you have many more smiling rides like that one!!!

cllane1
Oct. 8, 2010, 09:14 AM
Yay for the 3 year olds! Started my guy earlier this year (he's about 3 1/2 now) and we are having the best time!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=440780884213&set=a.119836569213.98854.506279213

manentail
Oct. 8, 2010, 09:48 AM
What a lovely horse. It's always exciting and very rewarding to break one to ride. I have broke all mine myself.

esdressage
Oct. 8, 2010, 09:56 AM
Woohoo! He's looking great, KTBM!!! It's pretty amazing to think that this was just one of (most likely) thousands of times you'll hop up on his back. I wonder what great things the future holds for you two! :)

mandabailey
Oct. 8, 2010, 10:16 AM
Huge congrats!!!!! It is such a huge step forward.

WBLover
Oct. 8, 2010, 10:16 AM
I'm SO happy for you Krazy!! I know this has been a long time in the making for ya, must be SO exciting to have sat on him FINALLY!

Your smile says it all, and his face says it all. A match made in heaven!!

flyingleadchange
Oct. 8, 2010, 10:57 AM
You guys have the same expression! Relaxed and happy. So nice to see. He's such a handsome guy and congrats on a pleasant, "boring" first ride. (the best kind!).

Reiter
Oct. 8, 2010, 11:06 AM
Awsome! :)
Totally agree with whoever said you both look very relaxed and happy!
Keep us updated!!!!

Ibex
Oct. 8, 2010, 11:30 AM
Love the pics! He looks like a very sweet guy...!!!

Mozart
Oct. 8, 2010, 02:24 PM
Hes super easy which is why I love his sire as he passes that along (Routinier)..

A friend of mine started her 3 yr old Routinier mare herself as well. She is now 5 and showing First Level and pretty much every test the judge writes "Lovely Mare". You chose well!

goeslikestink
Oct. 8, 2010, 02:39 PM

Gayla, it's been my experience that people who call other people wierd, are usually the pot calling the kettle black types.

But I'll be polite, your'e probably just very eccentric.

And congratulations on backing your 3 year old. You two make a very attractive pair.

blue domino no one is eccentric its just an invasion of privacy if one uses one name unless they have asked to be mentioned

so if op used the term boarder rather than a name thats just fine
or the term freind it might be that the op owns the yard which case it would be baorder or livery or might be the op has the help of a fellow livery or boarder
in which case they dont nessacarily have to be your mate

op great stuff carry on with him now looking good up there on him well done

Blue Domino
Oct. 8, 2010, 04:02 PM
blue domino no one is eccentric its just an invasion of privacy if one uses one name unless they have asked to be mentioned

so if op used the term boarder rather than a name thats just fine
or the term freind it might be that the op owns the yard which case it would be baorder or livery or might be the op has the help of a fellow livery or boarder
in which case they dont nessacarily have to be your mate

op great stuff carry on with him now looking good up there on him well done

Goeslikestink,

Wafting on about yesterday's vapors are you?

tidy rabbit
Oct. 8, 2010, 04:20 PM
f you want a friend, maybe the Eventing or Jumpers or Hunters would be a nice place for you.:lol:

Eventers maybe, Hunter Jumper forum, not so much. :lol:

tidy rabbit
Oct. 8, 2010, 04:20 PM
Have fun, they're only babies for a minute!

meupatdoes
Oct. 8, 2010, 04:59 PM
I would like to publicly apologize for all of the times I have called the person who owns the facility at which I keep my horses 'my barn owner.'

I will shorten it to TPWOTFAWIKMH from now on.

She is also TPWPMTRHNWBM (the person who pays me to ride her nice warmblood mare), which is clearly preferable to "my client" or "my customer."

Eye in the Sky
Oct. 8, 2010, 05:10 PM
I love your smile :D It's the smile that says "thank GOD I did it and did not get hurt in the process!" LOL! I recall that feeling of backing my own greenie weenie for the first time - I was so excited and so nervous!

I wish you many more safe and happy rides!

Eye in the Sky
Oct. 8, 2010, 05:13 PM
And Blue Domino - I am not allowed to say what I really want to you because I have already been reprimanded by the Mods for being unkind to another poster, but just know that I do not wish you well after what you said to GSL. :mad:

KrazyTBMare
Oct. 8, 2010, 06:15 PM
I love your smile :D It's the smile that says "thank GOD I did it and did not get hurt in the process!" LOL! I recall that feeling of backing my own greenie weenie for the first time - I was so excited and so nervous!

I wish you many more safe and happy rides!

ROFL Ding ding ding! Pretty much exactly what was going on in my head. Of course when I stood in the left stirrup and he didnt even lift his head and then when I laid completely in the saddle and again not even an ear flick I was feeling more confident when I swung that leg over! lol

I would like to publicly apologize for all of the times I have called the person who owns the facility at which I keep my horses 'my barn owner.'

She is also TPWPMTRHNWBM (the person who pays me to ride her nice warmblood mare), which is clearly preferable to "my client" or "my customer."

Hahaha I love it!

InsideLeg2OutsideRein
Oct. 8, 2010, 06:22 PM
Congratulations, your boy is very handsome!!! :)

Blue Domino
Oct. 8, 2010, 06:47 PM
And Blue Domino - I am not allowed to say what I really want to you because I have already been reprimanded by the Mods for being unkind to another poster, but just know that I do not wish you well after what you said to GSL. :mad:

Oh my! Look how hard you strained, you turned RED:lol:

Rise oh rise oh vapors rise, up to the eye in sky:lol:

There! you been wafted:lol:

Blue Domino
Oct. 8, 2010, 07:12 PM

I'm sure that your apology is accepted. Thank you!:)

That was very :cool: of you to go public like that.

Rex is a very handsome horse looked for him on allbreed pedigree to see how his mama is bred, see a few 2007 models there, is his pedigree there?

KrazyTBMare
Oct. 8, 2010, 07:21 PM
His dam is Gentle Wolf, who is a TB mare and MMB for GOV.

Here is her pedigree - she is from South Africa

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/gentle+wolf

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2550843320101752579BTUkRD

And of course, Rudy!

http://www.thesporthorse.com/stallion-listing.php?stallion_id=28

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2587219100101752579qOaYNT

Oh and Rex's registered name is Revolver. I know he is pink papered with the GOV (Im assuming pink papers means premium as I know he was premium)

Blue Domino
Oct. 8, 2010, 07:47 PM
A daughter of Wolf Power, sport horse pedigree deluxe! Gave me goose bumps to see that PRINCEQUILLO line. It's seldom seen anymore.

Blue Domino
Oct. 8, 2010, 07:53 PM
What a beauty, love her short back, upright, beautiful eye.
See she's got a 05 Sandro Hit! Wow, he must be a looker too.

KrazyTBMare
Oct. 10, 2010, 07:27 PM
So MY ( ;) ) girlfriend Jill came over today so I could get on Rex again (everyone is either out of town or at work so Im alone here).

Did a quick 10-15? min lunge. NO silliness at all. The neighbors kids were doing.. oh I have no idea what it was but it consisted of them waving their hoodie around like a flag and then across the street the neighbors put a big white sheet with neon pink writing over their fence. Nothing bothered him though. He was actually more interested in just watching the kids.

Anyways, so lungeing was great. Stands wonderfully at the mounting block and I just got on. No hesitation. Jill then led him around doing big circles and turns and some halt and walk and I did the whole coughing, sneezing, waving hands, shifting around, bouncing my legs around, etc. Didnt even flick an ear. Jill commented on how bored he was. lol He already felt so much more balanced even after a few mins. No more drunken wiggle worm!

So after doing that, she "lunged" us on a circle at the walk. We worked on getting him to walk forward and using the leg and all. Picked up on that very quickly. After we had good circles, we did squares which he has lovely corners and we were able to go straight a little. Then Jill goes, You ready to trot?? Im like WHAT???? lol But he was so calm so after some encouragement, he trotted a circle to the left. My Lord - its big! But not jarring. Then we went to the right. He would trot like 2 strides and that was it. Finally we got a circle to the right and I was able to get him not to be so quick and it was actually really nice. Of course we ended on that AMAZING note. All in all, maybe 15-20 mins u/s today. He does want to root down in the halt but I can do more work on the ground and long lining to help with that.

When I got off, he was just standing there all "happy". You could tell he was SO stressed by the whole thing lol. Such an amazing baby horse so he got yummy Stinky Buns!

Sorry no photos of that. It was completely spur of the moment. I will repeat in probably 3 days or so and hubby will be off so maybe we can get some evidence at that time.

Bravestrom
Oct. 10, 2010, 08:02 PM
I am so thrilled for you and know exactly how you feel - I had my 11th ride on my 3 1/2 yr old homebred swedish wb cross - we have now cantered twice and have a good forward trot -
some pics on www.prospectequinefarms.com/gallery.htm

KrazyTBMare
Oct. 10, 2010, 08:13 PM
I think I saw those on TOB right? That is awesome that you are already cantering. Lovely horse!

Bravestrom
Oct. 10, 2010, 08:19 PM
the beauty of using words on the lunge line and longlining - I just have to say the word and he went right into canter - second ride doing canter and already he figured out the word with the seat action.

amitkoequine
Oct. 10, 2010, 08:26 PM
Congratulations on trotting! I remember when I trotted my big baby (who also was 3 and had OCD hock surgery) for the first time and how thrilling it was!
Here's a picture of me trotting him for the first time as a 3 year old.
http://www.mitkowskiequine.com/gallery.html (Second to last picture)
You two make a great pair. Can't wait to see and hear more from you two!

Trevelyan96
Oct. 10, 2010, 08:27 PM
Congratulations! Isn't it great when your babies are so cooperative! Looking forward to more updates!

KrazyTBMare
Oct. 10, 2010, 09:56 PM
Congratulations on trotting! I remember when I trotted my big baby (who also was 3 and had OCD hock surgery) for the first time and how thrilling it was!
Here's a picture of me trotting him for the first time as a 3 year old.
http://www.mitkowskiequine.com/gallery.html (Second to last picture)
You two make a great pair. Can't wait to see and hear more from you two!

Lovely horse. What breed? He looks very ho hum about it as well.

Congratulations! Isn't it great when your babies are so cooperative! Looking forward to more updates!

It is really nice. He will be my first horse that I have actually started. Ive worked with super green beans and OTTBs but he is my first baby (got him at 18mo).

my_doran
Oct. 10, 2010, 10:14 PM
congrats...what a great feeling of getting on a youngster you raised IMO..my horse is 3 as well(may/o7 baby)
i haven't completely gotten on him yet,just putting my body sideways on him in full tack too get him used to weight on his back,done a few times off and on,off and on etc.
i can wait to get on my gelding as well.sorry guys,i know i have yet to post pics of him.
anyways congrats on a start on riding your youngster.

Valentina_32926
Oct. 11, 2010, 01:00 PM
Krazy - How exciting that is was so unexciting for him - that's a fun horse to break!

Congrads! :D

amitkoequine
Oct. 11, 2010, 01:49 PM
Lovely horse. What breed? He looks very ho hum about it as well.

He's a Hano X Tb out of Walldorf

Blue Domino
Oct. 11, 2010, 03:23 PM
So MY ( ;) ) girlfriend Jill came over today so I could get on Rex again (everyone is either out of town or at work so Im alone here).

Did a quick 10-15? min lunge. NO silliness at all. The neighbors kids were doing.. oh I have no idea what it was but it consisted of them waving their hoodie around like a flag and then across the street the neighbors put a big white sheet with neon pink writing over their fence. Nothing bothered him though. He was actually more interested in just watching the kids.

Anyways, so lungeing was great. Stands wonderfully at the mounting block and I just got on. No hesitation. Jill then led him around doing big circles and turns and some halt and walk and I did the whole coughing, sneezing, waving hands, shifting around, bouncing my legs around, etc. Didnt even flick an ear. Jill commented on how bored he was. lol He already felt so much more balanced even after a few mins. No more drunken wiggle worm!

So after doing that, she "lunged" us on a circle at the walk. We worked on getting him to walk forward and using the leg and all. Picked up on that very quickly. After we had good circles, we did squares which he has lovely corners and we were able to go straight a little. Then Jill goes, You ready to trot?? Im like WHAT???? lol But he was so calm so after some encouragement, he trotted a circle to the left. My Lord - its big! But not jarring. Then we went to the right. He would trot like 2 strides and that was it. Finally we got a circle to the right and I was able to get him not to be so quick and it was actually really nice. Of course we ended on that AMAZING note. All in all, maybe 15-20 mins u/s today. He does want to root down in the halt but I can do more work on the ground and long lining to help with that.

When I got off, he was just standing there all "happy". You could tell he was SO stressed by the whole thing lol. Such an amazing baby horse so he got yummy Stinky Buns!

Sorry no photos of that. It was completely spur of the moment. I will repeat in probably 3 days or so and hubby will be off so maybe we can get some evidence at that time.

How thrilling! to be assisted by a friend;) We all need friends like that!

Sounds like you had a wonderful ride and most importantly, that Rex will have pleasant memories about the whole experience.

I really need to make an appointment to go ride my 3 year old for the first time. First time for me that is. There will be NO pictures.

SunsAfire
Oct. 11, 2010, 04:16 PM
Katarine Dear,

DQ's don't have friends, they just have acquaintances. You'r on the dressage forum. I'm sorry to be the one to break it to you. If you want a friend, maybe the Eventing or Jumpers or Hunters would be a nice place for you.:lol:

I ride dressage and have many friends. I'm confused why discipline has anything to do with it... but, you, my dear, are what we call "Dressage Nazi"!

Blue Domino
Oct. 11, 2010, 05:11 PM
"I'm confused why discipline has anything to do with it... "

Sorry for the confusion, hopefully things will clear up for you. It's so nice that you have those wonderful, dear, close DQ friends.:rolleyes:
l

Valentina_32926
Oct. 12, 2010, 03:03 PM
Troll Alert!! :yes:

ThreeFigs
Oct. 12, 2010, 07:53 PM
Watch out, Valintina, I think it has rabies.

Leena
Oct. 12, 2010, 11:51 PM
i am so happy for you ! Got to love those babies !

Blue Domino
Oct. 13, 2010, 02:13 AM
Krazytbmare,

Hope you post some more photos of your rides, enjoy seeing someone starting their own colt and I take it you were very dedicated to getting a foal by Routinier to the point you bred your TB mare to him, and when she didn't conceive? you ended up purchasing a foal from Routinier. That's dedication!

It took me four years of trying and using three different mares to get my 3 year old. Bought the breeding to N R G in 2002
http://www.photosjustforyou.com/Ranches-and-Farms/NRG/3539335_MDpET#200301621_jRVnp

Bred him to Nababa Blue 2003,2004. No foal
http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/nababa+blue

Bred him to Royally Nasty in 2005. No foal
http://www.pedigreequery.com/royally+nasty

Bred him to Axle Annie in 2006
http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/axle+annie

And finally! got a 2007 colt.

KrazyTBMare
Oct. 13, 2010, 08:53 AM
Yes, I tried 2 years to breed her and she just did not take. I figured if she had a great vet at home who breeds hundreds of horses a year and didnt take and then didnt take at a highly respected vet clinic, there must be a reason. I was very fortunate that when I decided to buy my next riding horse that a woman who I "knew" via the BB's when I first started to breed Layla to Rudy (as she was breeding her mare at the same time) told me about her gelding. Turns out, it was the gelding bred the same year I first tried to breed Layla.

I was also very fortunate that she had breed to Rudy mutliple times AND the SO kept one of her other stallions just minutes down the road at her friends barn so I was able to request that I be allowed to sell my last remaining year on my breeding contract to her to put towards the purchase cost.

Hubby gets home tomorrow. Hopefully Friday or Saturday I can get on Rex again and maybe get some video/photo.

BTW congrats on finally getting your foal! I certainly understand how frusterating it is. The daddy sure is nice and that pic of the dam shows a nice, stout tb mare.

ThreeFigs
Oct. 13, 2010, 11:23 AM
Krazy, I'm friends IRL with Rex's breeder -- she's a great gal! I covet the horses she breeds, but it's not in the cards right now for me.

It's so much fun to read about your progress with Rex!

KrazyTBMare
Oct. 13, 2010, 06:19 PM
She is a wonderful person! She treated me like family when I flew up to meet Rex.

mowgli96
Oct. 13, 2010, 10:12 PM
WOW what a gorgeous boy you have!! Congrats and I wish you the best of luck -- it sounds like you're off to a great start! I have a 3yo Olivier gelding who I just started in August....babies are so much fun to bring along especially when they're yours (as I'm sure you know)! Have fun and enjoy your guy:)

4wdNstraight
Oct. 13, 2010, 10:40 PM
Aren't babies fun? I swear I might get more excited about doing something basic on a 3 year old over schooling piros the first time on my other horse! After finding out I am pregnant I had to put riding my 3 year old on hold, so I love living vicariously through others! Enjoy!