PDA

View Full Version : Body Clipping?

ColoredHares
Oct. 6, 2010, 09:10 PM
I am fairly new to dressage (primarily H/J). I have the regional show coming up and my guy is fuzzy. What is the 'dressage world's' view on body clipping? I only ask this question because my guy is also a pinto, and I had a wild hair and did some pinto shows a couple of years ago. Body clipping is a big, big no, no. H/J body clip all of the time, but what do the dressage folks do? I certainly don't want to show with a big sign on me that says "Hunter rider in Dressage tack." thanks!

mickeydoodle
Oct. 6, 2010, 09:37 PM
body clipping is absolutely fine, I am going to clip my hairy guy this weekend, as the temps will be in the 70's intermittently for weeks, and he looks like a polar bear, and sweats like the proverbial pig

2tempe
Oct. 6, 2010, 10:12 PM
Clip away!
Actually one of the boarders where I keep my horse is heading to regionals up in Ga, and was debating the other day "to clip or not to clip" before she goes. Big issue for her is that he is such a funny color when first done...
My new mare is not yet fuzzy, so I'm waiting to decide what I will do.

Coppers mom
Oct. 7, 2010, 12:35 AM
body clipping is absolutely fine, I am going to clip my hairy guy this weekend, as the temps will be in the 70's intermittently for weeks, and he looks like a polar bear, and sweats like the proverbial pig

Bless his little heart :lol:

Clip away, and good luck!

mypaintwattie
Oct. 7, 2010, 02:44 AM
Body clip away, unless you want to do some Pinto shows again, then you'd best keep him under lights. With a good clip job you can hardly tell they have been clipped anyways.

jawa
Oct. 7, 2010, 07:25 AM
With a good clip job you can hardly tell they have been clipped anyways.

Clip 2 weeks prior to the main event!! This allows a bad clip job time to grow out!!:lol::lol:

Ask me how I know!!!

ACP
Oct. 7, 2010, 12:03 PM
Clip away. Only do it a bit in advance, as suggested. I don't know if you will do it yourself or have someone do it for you, but here are some suggestions. You may already know all of this, if so ignore! LOL!

Absolutely clean horse, if it means three or four baths.

Some sort of spray on his coat to make it easier to do - Show Sheen, maybe? What do the rest of you think about using that?

New or freshly sharp clipped blades which you can swap out with another pair of new blades. Good blade lubricant spray.

Clip in two different sessions, as they can get bored/tired of being handled. I prefer to do bony parts first, like legs and head, and maybe the underline, then come back after lunch and do the rest of the body. Plus your hands don't get so tired.

When you clip the smoother parts of the body, don't go straight in a row for a long swath. Clip in an overlapping zigzag, so you don't have 'rows'.

Sponge afterwards until quite damp, with very warm water with oil, to soothe the skin, toss on a cooler and top with another cooler, and stand under a heat lamp for a bit. The oil and heat will make the hair seem much nicer.

mickeydoodle
Oct. 7, 2010, 02:13 PM
i use show sheen or any spray on conditioner, makes clipping easier