PDA

View Full Version : Willing Mare

victorian24
Oct. 6, 2010, 03:21 PM
I have a 6yo Tb/Paso Mare that I resuced. She is a wonderful mare, very sweet, and willing to please. She has almost put back all her weight and stands at 15.3 when all her weight and muscle are 100 percent. When I rescued her she was 500lbs underweight and found out that she was also pregnant. She has had her baby who is 14 months now, and she has about 100lbs left and muscles to build. The other day she was working in our round pen which has only 5ft panels, and jumped out, and cleared it. I have done Jumpers but only horses who are 16.3 or higher. She is being broken and trained..and I was wondering is it possible for a 15.3 hand mare to have a jump career in 3'6 and up? Thanks to everyone :-)

HERE IS SOME RECENT PHOTOS
http://www.flickr.com/photos/53408214@N04/sets/72157625109358686/

Trixie
Oct. 6, 2010, 03:23 PM
Oh, absolutely.

I had one at 15.1 that went around 3'6" and spent another year riding one that, at 15 hh, had done 4'+ jumpers with her previous rider. I jumped her 4'3". Both were very talented and willing and loved the game.

Albeit, one 5' jump doesn't say she has the talent to do jumpers or the willingness, but there are plenty of little horses that do.

victorian24
Oct. 6, 2010, 03:26 PM
Wow...this is great to hear, b/c I have such a strong bond with her and would love her to become my partner in jumping...

SimonandGus
Oct. 6, 2010, 03:30 PM
I believe the horse Charlie Jayne rides, Athena, is 15.2 Mare and does the Grand Prixs. They were 2nd in the Pfizer Million.

Good luck!

whatnow
Oct. 6, 2010, 03:34 PM
Touch of Class was a double gold winner in LA Olympics and I believe she was 15.3.

Little Big Man is under 16 hands and has had a pretty amazing Grand Prix career.

KateKat
Oct. 6, 2010, 03:34 PM
what a cutie! I love me a good mare :)

I was offered a lease on a 15.3 NZ TB who had done 4 ft jumpers sucessfully so its definitely possible for the little ones to have a lot of scope!

hntrjmprpro45
Oct. 6, 2010, 05:16 PM
When I was in highschool I had a large pony mare that I showed up to 3'9" in jumpers and we frequently schooled up to 4'. Now she was a fire cracker under saddle!

shawneeAcres
Oct. 6, 2010, 06:27 PM
Definitely possible for a horse that size to be doing 3'6" and more! The one thing that would make me take pause however, is the "paso" portion of your horses bloodline. Paso's are known to have very limited shoulder motion, they are purposefully bred to have very short, quick steps and tend to straight shoulders and also don't tend to step under behind. The trotting pictures of your mare show me that she may also have such a tendency, and that may limit her range of motion as well as length of stride. Of course horses don't "read the books" and often exceed what one would think their conformation and/or breeding would make possible! I would say, take it slow and easy if you plan to jump her and allow her body to properly become accustomed to the new job. You will see fairly quickly what sort of scope she may have. Good luck with her she is cute.

Hunter Mom
Oct. 6, 2010, 07:10 PM
Gabriella Z is another petite girl doing (or did do) the GP.

vbunny
Oct. 6, 2010, 07:34 PM
Absolutely. Different sport but check out Theodore O'Connor, who was an actual pony, on youtube.