PDA

View Full Version : GMO's not in USDF?

Bogey2
Oct. 6, 2010, 07:01 AM
I am wondering if any of you are in GMO's that are not staying with the USDF. I am a member of three GMO's in New England. One has 100 members and is fully run with volunteers. Most of the competitors are not doing any recognized shows and if they are they belong to the large GMO and get the USDF benefit there.

Why should the small GMO's stay with the USDF when the fee goes up this year? 20.00 per member go to USDF, and 20.-30. stays with the GMO to will cover awards, judges, insurance, show grounds.

What will USDF give our members for the 2,000. they keep? I have not raised my prices in 5 years, I have found ways to run my business more efficiently. Has the USDF done this to your satisfaction?

schimmel
Oct. 6, 2010, 09:03 AM
Our GMO has about 125 members and very few show USDF. I have been asking for years that they consider leaving the USDF. It appears to be a scary move to them and I don't quite know why. I think (not sure) that they even had to pay a penalty once for sending in their membership roster past deadline. I like the USDF but feel it does nothing for our GMO.

Bogey2
Oct. 6, 2010, 09:23 AM
the penalty thing drives me nuts...we always have to send the boards memberships in early so we don't get a penalty even though it's because no one has signed up yet...we finish shows in Oct. and don't have the awards brunch until jan. So of course no one has joined for the coming year.

Janet
Oct. 6, 2010, 09:34 AM
We are a "DCTA", and more than half of our members are primarily eventers. We talk about it every time USDF raises the GMO dues, but so far we have always voted to stay with USDF.

joiedevie99
Oct. 6, 2010, 09:54 AM
Here's what I don't understand- why do I have to join USDF 2-3 times per year?

I have to have a participating membership for Regionals, etc. so I join USDF directly every year. I'm also a member of the large regional GMO for the clinics, so I pay them for a GMO membership to USDF as well. This year, I intend to join a third (more local) GMO because I have friends there and want to participate in their activities- thats a third USDF membership I'm paying for.

Why is USDF entitled to get my money 3 times when I'm only one person?

HFSH
Oct. 6, 2010, 10:09 AM
There is a refund form on the USDF site called multiple GMO refund (MultipleGMORefund.pdf). You designate your primary/voting GMO and then they refund the rest. The other GMOs you request for your refund do not get to count your membership in their voting. here's what it says:

A portion of the dues paid to your Group Member Organization (GMO) are submitted to USDF. If you are a member of more than one GMO, you can request a refund of the USDF portion of GMO dues paid for additional GMOs that you join (limit three). You must designate your primary GMO and cannot request a refund for that GMO. If you request a refund for
any additional GMOs, your membership will no longer be considered in that GMO’s membership count when determining
the number of voting delegates that your GMO is entitled to at the Board of Governors (BOG) meeting at the convention. By
completing this form, you are confirming that you understand that your refund request could potentially affect the GMO
delegate numbers for GMOs for which you requested a refund. Refunds may only be requested from April 1 through August
1 of the current GMO year. Once this form is received in the USDF office the refund may take several weeks to process.
Forms not filled out completely and/or not signed will not be processed. Supporting family members are not eligible for this
refund.

I really don't understand why they limit your refund to 3 GMOs. :uhoh: :no:

joiedevie99
Oct. 6, 2010, 10:22 AM
Thanks HFSH- I had never seen that before. I guess I can't get a refund for the first GMO, even though I also have a participating membership, but I can if I join the second this year. Great information!

Velvet
Oct. 6, 2010, 02:40 PM
It's highway robbery for a lot of GMOs. Just say, "No." Most GMOs get nothing from the USDF. No benefits. No real/tangible help. It just sucks money out the group that could be going to programs that would benefit the local riders.

Until the GMOs start figuring this out, more local riders will opt only for the single USDF membership and the GMOs will lose members who are forced to choose.

Bogey2
Oct. 6, 2010, 03:29 PM
It just sucks money out the group that could be going to programs that would benefit the local riders.

BINGO!

HFSH
Oct. 6, 2010, 04:59 PM
I'm guessing your $20 goes towards your free subscription of the USDF Connection (which they'd love it if you only got the online subscription I'm sure)

tobruk
Oct. 6, 2010, 07:55 PM
But. through USDF we have access to a lower cost liability insurance for the 3 or 4 events that we put on each year. We couldn't afford it otherwise.

Bogey2
Oct. 7, 2010, 06:26 AM
I will have to look in to the liability on the shows. My GMO currently pays around 400.00 a year for insurance.

NJRider
Oct. 7, 2010, 04:44 PM
I am the member of a very small club (25 members) that has chosen to remain a non-GMO for the reasons listed. They can keep their dues and class fees to an affordable rate, and no hassles of paperwork.
Every year they bring up joining the GMO ranks but there seems to be no benefit except for the magazine. The members who compete seriously are Participating members, anyway.
What is the lower lianility insurance available through USDF? All the GMO's I have ran have always gotten the best rates for insurance on their own. Is it through American Bankers?