PDA

View Full Version : Irons-- what brand am I describing?

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
Oct. 6, 2010, 12:00 AM
I saw these in some tack trailer at a show. Now I don't know what tack trailer or what show.

Irons were between $250 and $350 retail.

Aluminum, but not jointed or bendy. Flat, not offset in the way the base sits of where the stirrup leather attaches. The base of the iron (the part you "stand" on) is very wide (2inches+?) and they don't take pads at all, the base is formed in a grippy pattern like pro-jump pads.

They come in colors, and have "slots" (not rounds holes) that don't appear to be to put leathers through, but just to take material (and presumably weight) out of the iron.

What are they? Where do I buy some? Anyone have them? Reviews?

minor detail
Oct. 6, 2010, 12:48 AM
I think the ones you are looking for are the WildKart "Jin" Stirrup Irons: http://www.runningfox.com/productdetail.php?id=631

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
Oct. 6, 2010, 01:00 AM
Thank you!!! Exactly what I was looking for.

luchiamae
Oct. 6, 2010, 02:12 AM
I will swear on my life that I have NEVER, NEVER, EVER lost a stirrup with these aaannnnddd they are just so comfy!

sansibar
Oct. 6, 2010, 09:11 AM
My coach swears by them. It was between those ones and the royal riders for me, but I went with the Royal Rider ones instead (because they were out of stock on the other ones).

alibi_18
Oct. 6, 2010, 09:35 AM
I own a pair of the Jin Stirrups WildKart

AND a pair of KAT stirrups (which are quite exactly the same...idem for the price...)

I use them on my dressage and jumping saddle! And it looks fabulous and I just love them!

Dressage.For.Life.
Oct. 6, 2010, 10:18 AM
Although not the kind you saw, Equipe (by Amerigo) also makes some aluminum stirrups that too, have a wide base. I don't have them but when I was doing more jumping I was tempted to get a pair!

http://www.equestriancollections.com/product.asp?groupcode=WE80059

Madeline
Oct. 6, 2010, 10:22 AM
I'm such an old fart.I would just buy standard Fillis irons. And spend the rest on a clinic. Or a CANTER horse.

Small Spark
Oct. 6, 2010, 02:56 PM
I own a pair of the Jin Stirrups WildKart

AND a pair of KAT stirrups (which are quite exactly the same...idem for the price...)

I use them on my dressage and jumping saddle! And it looks fabulous and I just love them!

Do you have a link for the KAT stirrups?

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
Oct. 6, 2010, 03:49 PM
Sounds like everyone that has them is happy with them though?

I have plain fillis irons and like them fine, but after seeing the Equipe catalog for the first time yesterday (working at a tack shop) I was reminded of the other ones and wanted to know what they were.

I have knee and foot issues and had thought a wider base might help the pain I get sometimes. I'm a solid rider, good leg, etc and can't stand jointed irons for jumping in.

There are Equipe ones that have round holes instead of the slots in the WildKat Jin.... but look otherwise the same. Maybe?

luchiamae
Oct. 6, 2010, 09:38 PM
I don't have the Equipe ones myself, but I will testify by Wildkart - I have very weak ankles and a horse with a massive trot and canter and my ankles are nearly falling off when I BEGIN trotting in my normal irons.
They have helped me so much and I can trot for hours (if necessary) now.