PDA

View Full Version : SPINOFF- Helmet Dilemma

Gnomeland
Oct. 5, 2010, 10:07 PM
I have the worst issues with helmets. I currently have a fairly nice IRH...It's respectable if nothing else. Fairly conservative, okay for local through maybe C rated shows. However, I feel absolutely ridiculous without a CO. I know that sounds strange, but there isn't even one person at my barn without a CO. Problem is, all the ones I have tried don't fit me. :rollseyes: So my question would be, are there any COs that fit...unlike COs? :lol: And if not, are there any other helmet brands you like for Hunter? I know it shouldn't matter too much, but it's really been bothering me lately.

SnicklefritzG
Oct. 5, 2010, 10:10 PM
I recently bought a new helmet and had a problem with most of the CO helmets. They sat very high on my head and wouldn't have provided proper coverage. However, I did find ONE that had a completely different shape and seemed to fit my roundish head quite well. It's the model that has a mesh panel running down the center of the helmet where most others have the light gray ultra-suede. Give that one a try. The people at Dover's said that it is the only CO helmet cut that way.

I had the same trouble with IRH helmets too...

joiedevie99
Oct. 5, 2010, 10:13 PM
I believe you are talking about the AYR8, but, IMHO, if you have a truly round head, no CO will fit you. Their two shapes are oval and very oval (although I think they discontinued some of the very oval models). If you want a new helmet, check out the IRHs in charcoal or black, any of the all dark GPA's (titium, speed air, etc.). You could also try the Troxel Gold- which looks very much like on of the velvet COs.

indygirl2560
Oct. 6, 2010, 12:08 AM
I had an IRH that fit my head perfectly and was so comfy, but I retired it after 5yrs of use. I have two COs, (a wellington pro and a jr8). I find that the jr8 fits much better than the wellington. I haven't tried a gr8 but I've heard that fits differently too! Maybe give a jr8 a try?!

Pennywell Bay
Oct. 6, 2010, 06:01 AM
And if a CO does not fit you, remember that IRHs are great helmets and you got to spend a lot less on it! The judge does not care what kind of helmet you have on!

Gnomeland
Oct. 6, 2010, 07:16 AM
And if a CO does not fit you, remember that IRHs are great helmets and you got to spend a lot less on it! The judge does not care what kind of helmet you have on!

It was about $150? Approximately $3 cheaper than a CO! :lol:

Thank you all for your input thus far.

skrgirl
Oct. 6, 2010, 08:59 AM
IRH makes an exact replica of the GR8.

Pennywell Bay
Oct. 6, 2010, 09:06 AM
It was about $150? Approximately $3 cheaper than a CO! :lol:

Thank you all for your input thus far.

WOW! Tell me where your CO is only $150? Thanks! ( being serious).

Pennywell Bay
Oct. 6, 2010, 09:07 AM
IRH makes an exact replica of the GR8.

That is the one I have.

RugBug
Oct. 6, 2010, 12:24 PM
Buy what fits...not what you feel you have to have to fit in. (this is basically "grow a pair and be your own person" comment)

My first attempt at buying a new helmet had me trying on the CO Showjumper and Hampton about 10 years ago. Everyone was wearing GPAs at the time, but I really didn't want to spend that much. OMG did the CO's look ridiculous on me. The other customers were literally laughing at me..well, along with me. I looked like this (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_sGliQgkWeKg/SQyuRW-J37I/AAAAAAAAAf4/w0OFMsvLbd8/s320/Toad.png). He's my favorite Mario character, but I do NOT want to look like him.

I was going to buy the IRH which was not quite the right shape but was much better than the COs. Due to a generous mother who also didn't want me to look like a cartoon character, I ended up with a GPA that I LOVED.

Fast Forward a few years to a fall that maybe meant replacement and really just time for a new helmet. The GPA that fits me is now $500, rather than $300. The less expensive GPA is not shaped right for my head. I try on the COs (GR8, JR8, the Wellington, and the AYR8). Only one that fits and looks decent is the AYR8, but even at $319 the price makes my head spin, no concussion involved. SmartPak had a sale that made the head spin less, so I took the chance and bought it. IF it hadn't fit correctly, I would've bought something else. AND I fully expect a new brand of helmet to become the "IN" thing VERY soon. The CO has had its run and the trendsetters are looking for something else. However, I didn't buy this helmet to be in fashion, I bought it because a) it FIT b)the price was acceptable.

BTW, the IRH's are much less expensive than the COs. The JR8 is similar in price, but it's a very specific fit. The GR8 and AYR8 are at least $100 more than the IRH.

Canaqua
Oct. 6, 2010, 02:07 PM
With Rugbug on this. Get what is 1)safe 2)comfortable 3)looks decent on your head, rather than worrying about what is most fashionable right now.

I have a very large, long, narrow and tall head...the only helmet on the planet that fits me properly right now (and believe me, I've tried EVERYTHING) is a size Large IRH "Switch" Helmet. It's not super hideous, but it's certainly not particularly slick, cool or fashionable. It's got that goofy plastic slot that pre-teen girls can use to change the stripe from pink, to blue sparkles to whatever (I'm 48!). It has a "dial a fit" knob on the back...very geeky. I don't even need the silly knob, because the actual helmet shell + padding fits me very well. So, I stick the plain stripe thingy in there and call it good enough. It's protecting the contents of my head, I don't have a massive headache after wearing it for a couple of hour ride and I don't look like a mushroom. Good enough. Every other helmet I tried, including very expensive and currently fashionable ones either made me look incredibly stupid (giant helmet perched on top of small face) or crushed my forehead (even in a size or two up) to the point where it was painful.

Fine with me. I'm old enough that I just do not care what the girls around the barn think of my attire...probably the reason I ride in full chaps too ;).

poltroon
Oct. 6, 2010, 02:13 PM
Wear what works for you. The judge does not care.

Be your own person.

SimonandGus
Oct. 6, 2010, 03:20 PM
Has any body been seeing those Antares helmets around lately? I'm thinking they might be popular next, but personally, I greatly dislike their style ;)

I love my GPA with all my heart. Most comfortable helmet I have ever worn.

skrgirl
Oct. 6, 2010, 04:37 PM
That is the one I have.

Ive seen a TON of people wearing them, and truthfully, you cant even tell unless you are really looking while they are close to you and know what your looking for.