View Full Version : Do you have an opposite horse?

horse n' around
Oct. 5, 2010, 08:52 PM
I have been aware now for some time that I have an opposite horse. In other words, the things he prefers are usually the opposite of what "normal" horses like. It is quite amusing at times, and difficult other times. Am i alone? Do others have opposite horses, or should he be studied at some university? Lol. I wouldn't really do that. Obviously just kidding. :lol: Anyway, for entertainment purposes these are the things he prefers:
1) cold rainy weather instead of mild and sunny.
2) sloppy footing with rain instead of nice fluffy footing.
3) the longer the trailer ride the calmer he is once reaching his destination, which is highly strange because he was involved in a trailer accident and almost put down.
4) he can be lazy in jumper classes and pull rails, but never touches rails in eq or hunter classes.
5)he likes to walk on grass and will always go in the direction of grass.
6) he spooks at really dumb stuff like a leaf on the ground, but not at crazy loud tractors going by or a family of deer bonding out the woods right next to the ring.
7) he likes being ridden alone (esp in the indoor and field) and will make mean faces at other horses that join him.
8) he is waaaay calmer at shows than at home and could probably be mistaken for another horse (or drugged).

Thats all I can think of for now. I know there are a lot more. :yes:

Oct. 5, 2010, 09:19 PM
Well the number 5 grass thing is true for my horse, but I just attribute that to her eating obsession ;)
6 too maybe.....

You have an interesting horse :D .

Oct. 5, 2010, 09:30 PM
My horse also does 2) 7) & 8)

he also stands perfectly in the aisle , put him in cross ties and he flips over...

i think that's a bit opposite!

Oct. 5, 2010, 09:52 PM
My mare hated being turn out for more than a few hours. Temperamentally, she turned in to a different horse when I moved her from a 23/7 turnout situation to a barn that did less than 8 hours of turnout a day. It saved me a bunch in ulcer meds too :)

Oct. 5, 2010, 11:03 PM
About a year ago I was hacking at home in my barn's covered arena. The ring crew was setting up ginormous bleachers for the World Cup qualifier grand prix that was going to be in there the following night, and these guys were literally throwing the 20+ foot bleacher seats down onto the frame of the bleachers. Being a covered arena, the echo was particularly loud. My trainer obviously decided to move our lesson outside. My horse, however, was in another universe apparently, as I could ride right next to the seat-throwers without him blinking an eye, twitching, or even recognizing their presence.

This horse will ride out among a herd of cattle and simply mosey around, not really caring that calves are running right under and around him. Yet, that chair that has been beside the arena ALL SUMMER LONG can suddenly appear mighty frightening. And wide open spaces? Cause for trembling and jigging. He's special but I wouldn't have him any other way :)

Oct. 6, 2010, 12:27 AM
I had an ottb who literally let me put a orange cone on his head, but he hated dips in the ground. Literally, any depression in the ground he was sure would just open up and swallow him whole.

We also had to train him to do transitions from the walk to the canter before we learned trot to canter lol. He was an ottb tho and it just made him a lot happier about life that way.

Oct. 6, 2010, 12:34 AM
My horse makes cranky faces at other horses but I think that's just because she's a bossy mare! :P

She also loves water! She'll drink it from the hose, play in puddles, etc.

Oct. 6, 2010, 02:31 AM
1)mine would rather b with people then with other horses.
i know theres more,but im having a total brain F**t right now.i'll post them when they come to me.lol

Crown Royal
Oct. 6, 2010, 08:05 AM
It's okay, my horse is special too. ;)

He loves showing in a sloppier ring, with puddles throughout. Makes sense though since his track records show he did better on a sloppy track than a dry one. But take him out on the trail, and he launches over any puddle out there.

He really sincerely does not like mares. He's a real jerk to our only mare and will pin her in the run-in stall around feeding time if we aren't careful. :/ The only mare I've seen him make googly eyes at is a dark bay TB dressage mare just like him that he was paired up with for this little drill team practice I subbed in for. It was love at first sight for him. ;)

After he's had a break from riding for a little while, he'll be hard to trot. When you trot him around, he'll lift his inside shoulder up and take just one canter step. It generally doesn't stop if you don't pay enough attention until you let him canter around. Then he's all good to trot as much as you'd like. :)

He always spooked and took chips at hunter fences at shows (I'm talking tiny 2'6"), yet when I take him into the jumper ring with no warmup over them and far scarier fences, he has a ball and doesn't look at any of them.

Like the first poster said, he's way better at shows than at home. Granted, I don't have a ring to ride in, just an open uneven field, but that just makes showing easier. He goes so much softer and easier warming up at shows.

I still don't get why he has to be a big jerk about getting a bath (outside hose and no where to tie him), but he'll stand out in the pouring rain no problem. Makes life dificult. Good thing he's not a gray!

This is the face he makes around feeding time or when the treats come out:

I love my horse :)

horse n' around
Oct. 6, 2010, 01:22 PM
Okay I remembered some more:
9) He likes to walk on your left side.
10) He looooves snow.
11) The more you brush his tail, the thicker and nicer it will be.
12) He does not like you touching little cuts and scratches to clean them up, but stands perfectly still large, almost needing stitches cuts.
13) To get a cut to heal, the best approach is neglect.

Crown Royal: thats the face my makes when he begs for treats or people are standing around him and not giving him attention. :lol:

Oct. 6, 2010, 03:56 PM
:lol:My 6yo mare who I rescued and has only lived outside, Loves and I mean Loves her stall...If you give her a choice of full green pastures and her stall...she picks her stall..lol..I think thats a bit opposite..my other 2 mares cant wait to get in the paddock..

Oct. 6, 2010, 06:20 PM
Ok, here's some for my horse:

After a week off, it's the better choice ride him in chilly, windy weather outside rather than the nice, climate controlled indoor arena.

He walks down to the show arena so slow that 20-something children's hunters pass him, then wins his jumper class by 5 seconds.

He's afraid of sound of the pony moving in it's stall that lives on the opposite side of the wall in the back corner of the arena, yet he lives in the stall next to said pony and listens to her rustle ALL DAY LONG!

Oct. 6, 2010, 06:39 PM
Great anecdotes :)

My 2 year old loves the hose unless water is coming out of it then, it's terrifying and obviously a device designed for torture. However, a water bottle can be squishes so that water gushes out on his face and he could care less.

Not really an opposite but he likes to chase birds. The birds will entertain him for a bit and run or hop around before eventually flying off.

I also have a 23 year old QH. Lock her in a stall and she sways/weaves. Leave the stall door open and she's in there almost all day. (Unless a storm comes then she stands outside in the middle of the field.

My stallion is well known as a very well behaved horse (all of my horses are well behaved) but, when it's cold outside he can be a bit fun when first starting undersaddle. I know that's pretty normal for most horses but totally opposite of him. Likewise when I go to a 2 day show if he got put in a stall Friday night even if he gets a walk Friday and Saturday morning he will be a very jiggy horse for the first ride regardless of how hot and nasty the weather is.

Not an opposite but another funny thing he does, he's like pavlov's dog. When I open the door and come down with feed buckets he starts licking and by the time I get to him there's a little drool going on. I guess he give Nutrena Compete a stamp of approval!

Oct. 6, 2010, 08:26 PM
My pony is "opposite" or just straight out weird (:

- EVERY time I spray him off/ give him a bath, he has this crazy urge to rub his head on me! But only when I am spraying or scrubbing his right side ;)

- It does not matter how much I ride Casanova, if he is going to be bad, he is gonna be bad!

- He is TERRIFIED of the shed by the ring, but does not bat an eye at the "normal" spooky things!

- ohh.. and Golf carts are super scary! :lol:

- He freaks out when stuff is over his lip. (it is VERY ticklish!!)

Oct. 6, 2010, 08:40 PM
The last horse I owned was an OTTB. He HATED other horses. I could not ride him in a hack class, because he would try to bite any horse that came near him ... nor would he line up peacefully! But he loved people. (Too bad they don't allow blinkers in the hunter-hack !! :) )

Away from home, he only liked to pee in the van. Soooo, if I was riding at a show and he got all stiff and bunched up, we'd have to reload him so he could pee in private!!