PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Horse Supremes?

*jumper*
Oct. 5, 2010, 08:03 PM
I'm in desperate need of a new pair of field boots, and have three basic requirements: quality, fit, and comfort. I've been eyeing the MH Supreme (http://www.mountainhorseusa.net/spring_supreme_field_boot.html)s for quite awhile, and am wondering if I'm better off putting the money towards custom boots or if these are a good alternative. Obviously, I would be sacrificing the truly custom fit, but I'm fine with that as long as these hold up.

I currently have a pair of Ariats that have endured almost three years of daily use, and they look it. I'm planning on saving the new pair for shows and maybe just jumping lessons, and I'll keep the Ariats to trash. So, for those of you who have these boots, would you say that they could hold up to a good number of years of occasional use? Is the quality/fit/construction worth the price, or is there a better non-custom boot out there?

ETA: How is the calf fit? I was comfortably snug in the Ariat slims, but got the regular calf out of zipper breakage fear, and I hate the extra room.

Tha Ridge
Oct. 5, 2010, 08:08 PM
Lots of threads about 'em - they're great. :)

ExJumper
Oct. 5, 2010, 08:22 PM
There are a million threads. You can do a search on "mountain horse supreme."

This is probably the most comprehensive thread:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=195444&highlight=mountain+horse+supreme

rockfordbuckeye
Oct. 5, 2010, 08:40 PM
Have them. Love them. Butter soft and fit me like a glove and I have tiny ankles/calves and huge feet :)

sptraining
Oct. 5, 2010, 09:10 PM
Also have them. Also love them. :)

This is what they look like in action. (http://www.youtube.com/sptrainingstables#p/a/u/2/mr5K-GBKPn8)

I was glad to have found an alternative to Ariats, Der Daus, and other customs. Couldn't afford $700+, and didn't want Ariats because of the zipper issue. So far, very happy with the MH Supremes.

AndNirina
Oct. 5, 2010, 09:36 PM
They're gorgeous and super-soft... almost like wearing slippers. Virtually no break in needed. I've had mine for about a month now and use them as my schooling boots. My measurements are extra tall, slim calf and my show boots (Der Daus) are customs. The Mountain Horses are much more comfortable than my customs! They have fantastic Spanish tops, too. For me, the tall MHS's are still a tad on the short side, and even the slims are a bit too loose. I probably wouldn't show in them only for these reasons. Otherwise, they're lovely.

AndNirina
Oct. 5, 2010, 09:38 PM
To answer your calf question, if you could fit into the slims, I'd say get them. The leather on the MHS boots is super soft, so I'm sure that they would stretch a bit. The zippers seem more sturdy than Ariat zippers.

*jumper*
Oct. 5, 2010, 11:10 PM
Thanks so much! That's what I needed to hear :) I did do a search on them as well, I just wanted to get the most up-to-date opinions since I should be making my purchase fairly soon :D

luchiamae
Oct. 6, 2010, 02:14 AM
Love em!

soloudinhere
Oct. 6, 2010, 10:50 AM
I so wish these boots came in their short height that ALL the other boots come in :( I want to give them my money but 18-19" is just stupid tall for a lot of riders out there.

EmJ628
Oct. 6, 2010, 11:04 AM
I have the next step down in the Mountain Horse line and I still love them. The fit through the ankle was better on me than any of the Ariats and I can image the Supremes would be cut in a similar way. I have the narrow width (was right on the boarder btw reg and slim) and was scared they were going to be too tight after riding in them a couple of times, but now a month later they are breaking in great. I am sure the nicer leather in the Supremes would be even better!