PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience with the Passier GT

ginger708
Oct. 5, 2010, 04:46 PM
So my saddle search continues. Everything that I used to like in a saddle I hate and saddles that I use to hate I now find comfortable. So I am looking at a Passier GT. I have been told that it may solve the the leaning forward / duck butt problem that I have in the Passier Nichole.

I have always ridden in deep saddles with thigh blocks. I have brought out three saddles to try that are like this and all of them felt horrible on the horse. So now I am going in a different direction, Hence the GT when I sat in it at the saddle shop I really liked it.

Thanks

princessfluffybritches
Oct. 5, 2010, 05:28 PM
My friend and I just happened to sit in a used on in a tack store, and we spent alot of time with our butts (not together) in that saddle. If your looking for close contact, not a "couch" it's great. It's a firmer seat, but if it fits you it is most comfortable. Deep saddles or not, when you sit in a potential saddle, it should make it hard for you to be in the wrong position. I've also heard that big thigh blocks can actually work against you, but they do work for some people.

Good article on saddles here http://www.sustainabledressage.net/tack/bridle.php

HollysHobbies
Oct. 5, 2010, 07:11 PM
I rode in a passier PS for many years...I love the twists on passiers....it's like being home.

What saddles have to tried? What did/didn't you like about each one?

Have you tried sizing up...duck butt may indicate you just need to size up. I see a lot of people in dressage saddles that are simply too small for them, particularly as seats get deeper! I don't mean to offend you--I've sized up in saddles by 1/2" b/c it's more comfortable, though I have been the same size for 15 years. You have to do what's COMFORTABLE!

I currently have a Passier knockoff (the Collegiate Jessica), which I actually love.

ginger708
Oct. 6, 2010, 09:42 AM
I rode in a passier PS for many years...I love the twists on passiers....it's like being home.

What saddles have to tried? What did/didn't you like about each one?

Have you tried sizing up...duck butt may indicate you just need to size up. I see a lot of people in dressage saddles that are simply too small for them, particularly as seats get deeper! I don't mean to offend you--I've sized up in saddles by 1/2" b/c it's more comfortable, though I have been the same size for 15 years. You have to do what's COMFORTABLE!

I currently have a Passier knockoff (the Collegiate Jessica), which I actually love.

I have no problem with sizing up I realize that saddle sizes are all dependent maker and style of saddle. I would go in a 35" seat if the saddle fit right and I liked it. I have owned and tried many saddles in different sizes depending on the saddle. I have been in everything from an 17 to a 19. It seems that 17 and 17.5 are the best fit for me. I think that if the Nichole had a little straighter flap and the stirrup bars were set back a 1/4 to a 1/2 an inch it would be perfect.

I have tried a County Competitor 17 needed to go a size up. It kept me more in line but I felt to far away from the horse.

The next saddle was a Canterbury Equitation 17" once again I needed to go a size up however even if I did the saddle felt to deep and restrictive.

After that was a Schleese Jane Savoi 18'' seat. I was searching for my seat and my leg for twenty minutes and I think that it moved on the horse did not fit either of us.

The next was a saddle from Advance saddle fit called the Detende Isis in an 18" or 19" it was just way to big of a saddle it felt as if I just ripped the whole thing off it would have been a lot easier to ride.

Lastly was the Prestige 2000d 17.5 this saddle actually hurt my back. It felt off as soon as I sat down. I could feel the edge of the saddles seat and it was really hard and uncomfortable. I think the thigh blocks forced me in to a place where I hurt myself.

My favorite saddle a Thornhill Germania (sp?) did not fit this horse the stirrup bars dug into my legs, even a larger tree would not fix that. So I sold it. I really liked the twist and the straight flaps. I was always balanced in this saddle and I could sit through a lot of horsey shenanigans with that saddle.

Hampton Bay
Oct. 6, 2010, 11:37 AM
How does your current Passier ride if you drop the stirrups?

I've found that most of the Passier trees sit very much the same. The older PS Baum is the only one that seemed to work for me at all. The rest of them tipped my pelvis forward, and I literally could not sit up in them. It was most difficult in the canter.

You will just have to try it and see, but if you are having trouble with the GG, probably another Passier isn't going to fix anything since the trees are all so very similar.

arabiansrock
Oct. 6, 2010, 11:55 AM
Ginger
A couple to look at based on what you are not liking. Smartpakequine has both of them. M. Toulouse Venice and M. Toulouse Verona. both have straight flaps, sit you pretty centered, have nice grippy leather and comfy seats. The Venice has smaller external blocks, the Verona has big external blocks. And as an added bonus they run around $1000. New.

ginger708
Oct. 6, 2010, 12:32 PM
How does your current Passier ride if you drop the stirrups?

I've found that most of the Passier trees sit very much the same. The older PS Baum is the only one that seemed to work for me at all. The rest of them tipped my pelvis forward, and I literally could not sit up in them. It was most difficult in the canter.

You will just have to try it and see, but if you are having trouble with the GG, probably another Passier isn't going to fix anything since the trees are all so very similar.

If I ride without stirrups I am straight and stay that way. If I drop the stirrups a hole the balance problem gets worse if I take them up a hole I am to high out to the saddle when I post and it is generally uncomfortable. The saddle that I am riding is a true Nichole before the grand gilbert or at least that is my understanding. I like the way that it sits I would just like to be able to tweak my position slightly and keep it there without having to think about it all the time.