PDA

View Full Version : Capital Challange - where is the classic form over fences today?

HandItOver114
Oct. 5, 2010, 12:47 PM
As im watchin bits and pices of the show im not as impressed with some of the way theses (from what i know them to be) really nice horses are jumping. is it the course? there all hanging up in the air, or is it just me??

ponymom64
Oct. 5, 2010, 01:09 PM
I've only been able to watch a few horses but I noticed that, too, particularly to the oxer along the rail. The horses that I saw looked like they just met the fence long and weak, other than that, not sure ;)

So far, the second rounds are looking good.

Mayaty02
Oct. 5, 2010, 02:58 PM
I was wondering the exact same thing...some of them really had some hang time going. I'm also seeing alot of slow slow horses coming (barely) cantering up to a big jump and then heaving themselves over it. I only watched one round of Scott Stewart and at least he was giving his horse a chance at coming into the jump with some impulsion.

CBoylen
Oct. 5, 2010, 03:07 PM
Slow In the air and lofty is a good thing. Hanging in the air is not. Are the ones you think are hanging getting good scores?

alterhorse87
Oct. 5, 2010, 03:11 PM
The footing in the outdoor ring looks fairly sloppy (I believe it rained yesterday). I saw one horse trip/slip and go down to their knees during their closing circle. I haven't watched any of the indoor yet though.

ponymom64
Oct. 5, 2010, 03:49 PM
Slow In the air and lofty is a good thing. Hanging in the air is not. Are the ones you think are hanging getting good scores?

The few that I saw did not get good scores. It seemed that in the handy, riders were approaching that particular fence with more impulsion and having better jump over it.

The approach to the trot jump looked a little tricky and quite a few swaps just before the last jump....

Some very nice horses - I liked Unlimited, though he/she ended toward the bottom of the jog and Endo Fino is, of course, adorable. I'm working so only able to see a few fences every so often ;)

Small Affair (I guess a second year horse?) was really cute.

HandItOver114
Oct. 5, 2010, 04:19 PM
I saw Way cool go this morning and I know that, that horse is wonderful and has a great jump but he was hanging in the air for too long this morning and it did reflect in his scores. Dont get me wrong I love that horse, I just did not know if it was the way the course was riding or how the jumps were on the rail. I do believe the second round was better for some horses.

I also saw alot of just hanging of the front legs. It may just be me but just was not as impressed with the working horses so far this year for indoors.

MHM
Oct. 5, 2010, 05:02 PM
Remember that while Capital Challenge is the unofficial start of Indoors, horses don't have to qualify to show there. They just need to be entered on time.

So while some of the horses are the best of the best, they may not all be as successful or experienced.

Not to mention that even the best horse can have a funny jump or an off day.

Renn/aissance
Oct. 5, 2010, 09:42 PM
Wondering which fence you're seeing a lot of trouble with- there's one corner that's notoriously spooky and I'm wondering if that's factoring into what you're seeing.

ponymom64
Oct. 5, 2010, 09:49 PM
Wondering which fence you're seeing a lot of trouble with- there's one corner that's notoriously spooky and I'm wondering if that's factoring into what you're seeing.

The oxer on the rail - on your left if you were facing the gate. Way Cool would have nothing to do with it in the handy round.

Fiction
Oct. 5, 2010, 09:55 PM
That indoor is notoriously spooky, and since it is the first indoor show of the season, some of the horses may still be settling into their rhythm. Many horses ride like completely different animals indoors, particularly in a ring like the one at CC. That, coupled with a little freshness from the the nasty weather we've been having, and I'd expect that's probably why you're seeing the hanging in the air. Over the course of a couple trips around the ring that hang time will probably turn into a nice lofty rounded jump.

Renn/aissance
Oct. 5, 2010, 10:24 PM
The oxer on the rail - on your left if you were facing the gate. Way Cool would have nothing to do with it in the handy round.

The spooky corner is the one on the left far side of the ring as you face the gate- so I bet that factored into things.

FrenchFrytheEqHorse
Oct. 6, 2010, 02:23 AM
That indoor is not particularly inviting- pretty much every sound inside is amplified to the nth degree, and there are a lot of "surprises" along the rail. Schooling is also notoriously crowded and rushed. I wouldn't be surprised if this is contributing to the sticky first rounds.

NorthFaceFarm
Oct. 6, 2010, 09:54 AM
That indoor is notoriously spooky, and since it is the first indoor show of the season, some of the horses may still be settling into their rhythm. Many horses ride like completely different animals indoors, particularly in a ring like the one at CC. That, coupled with a little freshness from the the nasty weather we've been having, and I'd expect that's probably why you're seeing the hanging in the air. Over the course of a couple trips around the ring that hang time will probably turn into a nice lofty rounded jump.

We are even getting some hang time and stalling off the ground at home due to the nasty weather, change in the footing from said weather, etc.

This kind of thing is why people go to CC though, to get into the indoors groove for the bigger shows.