PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on these OTTB's please..

EquineLVR
Oct. 5, 2010, 12:24 PM
so both of my OTTB's are currently laid up. So looking at some other prospects for a Jumping career. Would prefer to start in the hunters for experience and then move into Jumpers - I probably would not go past 3'9.

Who do you like?

Kenny Run - 9yrs old - long career and money winner retiring sound:

http://fltrainerlist.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=1417

Keen Impact - 6yr old - money winner

http://fltrainerlist.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=1475

He's My Tuff - 5 yr old - money winner

http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2659:hes-my-tuff&catid=51:mountaineer-trainer-listings&directory=284

Oeste Dos - 5 yr old - not much racing..

http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2988:oeste-dos&catid=41:n-cal-trainer-listings&directory=61

fordtraktor
Oct. 5, 2010, 12:29 PM
Kenny Run has a nice trot and a long racing record. Cute face too, I wouldn't mind seeing it over my barn door in the mornings!

hellerkm
Oct. 5, 2010, 12:41 PM
I agree I like him the best! he could live with me anyday!

IrishWillow
Oct. 5, 2010, 12:51 PM
He is by far the nicest looking - looks solid, well built. If he raced this long, he's tough. He looks quiet and sane too. Little long in the front pasterns, but its hard to tell with racetrack feet (although his arent bad really). The age of course is prohibitive - but I'm currently reschooling a 17.1h OTTB that is coming off the track myself. I'll give him this - he is QUIET. He has seen everything and NOTHING bothers. He's green, but I'd put a beginner on him. Something to be said for a horse that was on the track for awhile!

PinkPonies
Oct. 5, 2010, 01:09 PM
Another vote for Kenny Run. There is just something about him that makes me want to bring him home! I'm no confirmation critic, but I think coming off the track sound at 9 years old says a lot. He just looks like a good guy.

He's My Tuff is my second favorite.

StorybrookeFarms
Oct. 5, 2010, 02:23 PM
Two cent from someone who has 18+ years OTTB experience - conformation aside, keep in mind the longer a horse has raced, the more ingrained it is. You're going to have a tougher time retraining one whose has run so long. Hang on, because all he knows is how to RUN.

Money earners - They can run well. Find out how many starts, how many wins, etc. The more wins the better the horse can run. Be prepared for similar training "road blocks" as a horse who has raced for an extended period.

Fewer races, or "too slow" for racing = better suited for a start in hunters, moving on to jumpers. Less pounding on young, underdeveloped joints. Typically fewer issues retraining, etc.

Again, this is based soley on their past experience/career.

cottagefarm
Oct. 5, 2010, 02:34 PM
Hi There,

Tried to PM you. have several on my website that might work for you.
PM me if you have any questions.
Will have more soon!

jengersnap
Oct. 5, 2010, 02:49 PM
I love Kenny Run!

I know each of us have our individual experiances but I personally treat each OTTB as an individual. We retired our 10 year old stakeswinner last fall, and I took him cow sorting 3 weeks after his last race. Running ingrained? Not necessarily. I asked for speed to chase down a cow and all he'd give was enough of a gentle lope to be effective, and pulled himself up naturally to keep on the cow. I've had him down the road several times, with horses in fields making time on the fences as we go, and he's hacking at a walk on the buckle. I've taken him out on my training track at home, and going both ways and a gentle trot was his favorite gear. I was playing around with him on the farm and tried to get a canter. Kick kick kick, kiss kiss kiss, nope. Hubby said KICK HIM and finally he picked up the smoothest canter ever. This same horse would break stride into a gallop going the wrong way on the actual racetrack, and turn him the right way you better be strapped on. This was a horse that fetched almost half a mil at auction for working in :11 as a 2 yr old.

I think a good mind is just as important as a good build and longevity when evaulating an OTTB. Mine's so intelligent he astounds me.

I also have a fabulous TB available that you might be interested in. PM me if you'd like more information.

caffeinated
Oct. 5, 2010, 02:57 PM
Two cent from someone who has 18+ years OTTB experience - conformation aside, keep in mind the longer a horse has raced, the more ingrained it is. You're going to have a tougher time retraining one whose has run so long. Hang on, because all he knows is how to RUN.

I think they're all individuals. The horses I've had the pleasure to work with who raced for a relatively long time definitely seem more appreciate of a job, and tend to have great work ethics, but I haven't noticed they were any harder to re-direct than a horse who only raced a few times... we had one who was a stakes winner, 10 years old coming off the track, that I could barely get going, and has been foot perfect on trails since day 1. :)

But no single person's experience is all-inclusive *grin*

Anyplace Farm
Oct. 5, 2010, 02:59 PM
I like He's My Tuff first, then Kenny Run. I like HMT's hip better. KR is much longer from hip to point of rump than he is from point of rump to stifle. Things just don't match up there. But, that horse's legs look clean and tight and in terms of muscling, he looks pretty balanced.

HMTs parts are put on in a more balanced fashion. But, hard to judge them without seeing them in person.

ClassyRide
Oct. 5, 2010, 03:03 PM
Just a snippet in reference to the "run" thing, even though it's a little off topic based on the OP...

I don't have much experience at all - just got my first OTTB about a year ago. But, I taught her voice commands for Walk, Trot, Canter and Whoa before ever backing her (used lunge line and round pen), and I have *never* had a problem with her doing any gait I don't ask her for. As long as you get their minds solid from the ground first, sitting on their backs will make no difference. ;)

Madeline
Oct. 5, 2010, 05:40 PM
I like He's My Tuff first, then Kenny Run. I like HMT's hip better. KR is much longer from hip to point of rump than he is from point of rump to stifle. Things just don't match up there. But, that horse's legs look clean and tight and in terms of muscling, he looks pretty balanced.

HMTs parts are put on in a more balanced fashion. But, hard to judge them without seeing them in person.

Me too. ( I hate me too posts).

HMT is a good age and , well, I just like him.

forestergirl99
Oct. 5, 2010, 06:13 PM
Kenny Run hands down. However, I agree that it could prove to be difficult retraining a horse that has know only RUN for 9 years.

cyriz's mom
Oct. 5, 2010, 06:26 PM
I, too, like Kenny Run.

I would also give Keen Impact a look. A partner and I bought Keen Isabella and she's been here for about a month now. She's 8, ran 99 times and has completely clean legs. She is a class act. We'll be using her as a broodmare to be bred to Cyriz (should be some AWESOME TBs!), but I think she could easily made the transition to a sport horse career. Impact is a couple years younger and I've been told his pics don't do him justice.

onthehill
Oct. 5, 2010, 07:56 PM
One thing I would suggest if you don't mind spending a little bit of money. If you go to Racereplays.com and spend $12.00 per month, they have archived races in the US for at least 4 years. You can see 100 for that 12 bucks each month, and you can cancel anytime. I have seen some horses that I like conformation wise, but when I see a race or two ... I might pass. Can go the other way too.

EquineLVR
Oct. 5, 2010, 08:09 PM
I, too, like Kenny Run.

I would also give Keen Impact a look. A partner and I bought Keen Isabella and she's been here for about a month now. She's 8, ran 99 times and has completely clean legs. She is a class act. We'll be using her as a broodmare to be bred to Cyriz (should be some AWESOME TBs!), but I think she could easily made the transition to a sport horse career. Impact is a couple years younger and I've been told his pics don't do him justice.

I really like Keen Impact but no one else seems to. I also like this mare - another mare by Keen that has won a ton and raced alot.

http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2958:t10-2908-10-trainer-owned-mare-qkeen-lassieq&catid=54:ne-trainer-listings&directory=296

EquineLVR
Oct. 5, 2010, 08:18 PM
Horses really are like potatoe chips - who can look at or have just one?

Like this colt too- he has won over 150K in 38 starts.

http://fltrainerlist.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=1470

OneMoreTime
Oct. 5, 2010, 08:19 PM
I like Keen Impact - his feet look really nice. Of course, this is coming from someone with an OTTB w/foot probs.

cyriz's mom
Oct. 5, 2010, 08:20 PM
Lassie looks A LOT like Isabella. I would have the tendon checked out well though.

I think Impact's pics aren't the greatest and don't show him off very well. Some aren't as photogenic as others. You might see if one of the volunteers can take some more pics or even a little video of him.

EAY
Oct. 5, 2010, 08:24 PM
However, I agree that it could prove to be difficult retraining a horse that has know only RUN for 9 years.

I have to agree with earlier posters who said to treat each horse as an individual. My gelding who I got at 12 with 60 starts (after a few years as a pasture puff) has the best set of brakes ever while my mare who came to me at 5 with 2 starts thinks the only reaction to any kind of stress (pain, fatigue, uncertainty about what I want, etc.) is to go faster.

One advantage of the older guys, particularly those who have retired sound with clean legs, is that you can move more quickly in your training. With the right program, after the horse has had time to let down, you can be cantering 3' courses within a couple of months.

Long Spot
Oct. 5, 2010, 08:38 PM
Since Kenny run got a very loud and uncontrollable squeal out of me when I scrolled down to his face, I'm casting my vote his way. Those eyes!!!!

EAY
Oct. 5, 2010, 08:42 PM
Horses really are like potatoe chips - who can look at or have just one?

Like this colt too- he has won over 150K in 38 starts.

http://fltrainerlist.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=1470

I like this guy too, but maybe I'm a bit biased. Our broodmare Grab Bag, who we lost this year from complications of foaling :cry:, was from the same sire line and was out of a Raise a Cup dam.