PDA

View Full Version : Pleasant surprises

fordtraktor
Oct. 5, 2010, 10:20 AM
I have an OTTB I picked up that I never really thought he had much jumping talent. Quick and flat and nervous. Of course, he's just learning, but still -- not a natural.

In the last month, he's turned into a totally different jumper -- slowing down, learning to use himself, enjoying it. Yesterday I had occasion to longe him over some barrels, which I had never done before and he had never seen before. I had no idea he could actually jump like that. He was well over the tops of the standards, rounded his back beautifully, knees to chin, and rear end to the sky. Several times, so not a fluke. Who knew the darn thing would learn to jump? I might have to keep him after all. Husband is going to love that.

Do any of you have horses that took some time to learn to jump, but turned into great jumpers? Tell me it's going to last!

Madeline
Oct. 5, 2010, 10:39 AM
Don't get too excited. According to SueL being a TB, he'll only be competitive at 1m.

fordtraktor
Oct. 5, 2010, 10:46 AM
Ha! Given his rough start that is more than I would ever have expected. But that has nothing to do with being a TB. My old retired TB could cruise around a 1.5m course. Too bad I couldn't ride well enough to take advantage of that talent.

shawneeAcres
Oct. 5, 2010, 11:58 AM
Yes, I had a young mare that was a HORRIBLE jumper, I mean looked like she had eight legs going over a fence! I sold her, rather inexpensively to a student (this was MANY years ago) and she sold her to her trainer later on. The mare ended up being a childrens hunter champion at Devon and winning MANY MANY shows. I guess, somewhere along the line she figured it out, but she was SO AWFUL I wasn't willing to put the time into her! Guess I learned my lesson, huh?!

judybigredpony
Oct. 5, 2010, 12:12 PM
I don't start my OTTb prospects over jumps under tack.

They go to the free school, and then flat under tack and back to free school over a period of time.

The weeks and months between allow the horse to unwind and relax the shoulders and back. The worst tense flat jumpers come back lifting w/ their shoulders, pulling forearms up and they jump thru the withers extend the neck and use their backs. They now can rock off the hocks and lift up not launch thru.
Its so much fun to take photos as the progress to see the changes.

Gee wasn't Idle Dice a TB??? Jet Run???