PDA

View Full Version : Where the heck do I sell my odd-sized field boots??

Moocow
Oct. 5, 2010, 06:03 AM
I'm totally lost. I have been trying to sell my very barely, barely used semi-custom field boots since February now and have only gotten one bite. I tried to stay local (the boots are in Ontario) and used the message boards around there to advertise them and only got one offer for $100... That was a bit of a slap in the face considering I paid over 1k for them! I put them on eBay and was getting equally sad bids so was glad in the end that I had put a reserve on them.
Problem is that my boots are very small in every way (I'm only about 5'2" and have very short legs and small feet) so it's hard to find anyone with the same measurements as me.
Any ideas? I would like to advertise elsewhere (free, preferably, I'm a very poor groom) but don't even know where to start.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

hellerkm
Oct. 5, 2010, 06:42 AM
I think your in a tough spot, custom to you does not translate into worth a whole lot to others. If they are a funky size then they are not really "in demand" and I doubt you are going to get anywhere NEAR what you paid for them. Is there a reason your selling them? They might be worth hanging onto just in case! Otherwise if you have Craigslist in CA try listing them on there with really good measurements so anyone with the same tough to fit feet and legs will know right away how perfect this pair of boots would be for them.

Lucassb
Oct. 5, 2010, 09:53 AM
The Outside Course has free classified listings, and they seem to get a lot of traffic. I've sold several high end items there.

But I agree, an odd size and custom-made (meaning the buyer will have to go off your measurements, vs. buying a "size 7") is going to be a difficult sale. If the boots are tall and slim, you might market them to kids instead of adults... there have been tons of posts about how hard it is to find boots that are slim enough in the calf and still tall enough...

Good luck.

Moocow
Oct. 5, 2010, 12:37 PM
Great! Thanks guys! Yeah, I've tried the kids route but I think my calf is a bit big for a kid even if I have an almost child-size foot! :(

MIKES MCS
Oct. 5, 2010, 01:09 PM
Why not try selling them on consignment. I sell a ton of consignment boots out of my shop and the general rule is to price them about 1/2 of new if they are in ex condition. Even if your local tack shop doesn't generally have consignemnt, if they are nice and they can make money off them they would probably take them on. They would be even more incline if you take payment in a store credit. most consignment shops get about 30% but if it's very high end it's that percentage can be negotiable.