PDA

View Full Version : Theo Sommer saddles

MelanieC
Oct. 5, 2010, 01:49 AM
Thinking of buying one of these. I've never seen one in person. How are they, deeper, more open? Do they tend to fit one type of horse (narrow, wide, curvy) more than another? How are they for petite riders?

I'm very petite, and looking to fit a tall (15.3) wide Arab with a curvy back.

arabiansrock
Oct. 5, 2010, 02:37 AM
I don't know about Sommer saddles but the Black Country Eden has a curvier tree. I tried the bc eloquence and vinici and liked both for my flat backed horse, but my trainer didn't like them for me (personally I htink it was bcause I was out of shape and just riding poorly in general) Anyway, they are very nicely made comfortable saddles. trunbull mtn tack carries them, and they are great to work with. they were still helpful to me after I ended up buying a saddle elsewhere nbut came back to them for a nice girth.

I have heard that the german saddles tend to have longer tree points which might not be the best thing for our arabs.

see u at x
Oct. 5, 2010, 11:01 AM
I'm not sure how much help this is, but I bought mine 3 years ago for my 15h QH mare. It is a 31.5cm tree, and at the time I got it, seemed to fit her just fine. I didn't ride her in it for quite a while, and now it no longer fits her. She has a big shoulder to begin with, but now that she's in regular work, she's really muscling up nicely. I now have to ride her in my friend's XW tree Keiffer Athen Olympic that she bought for her 16+ hand draftX! :lol:

Insofar as the quality of the saddle goes, I really like it. I think it's nicely made and comfortable. The seat is a little deeper than I would like; at first it didn't bother me, but then I rode in a pancake Crosby PDN doing hunters, and now I'm not a huge fan of the deep seat. However, I'll wait to see how it fits my gelding before I decide whether or not to part with it.

HiyoSilver
Oct. 5, 2010, 11:58 AM
The only way to tell is to get one and ride in it.

Sommer make a quality product.

Passier used to make a variation of their PS-Baum tree specifically for the curvier shorter arab type back.

IdahoRider
Oct. 5, 2010, 12:20 PM
Thinking of buying one of these. I've never seen one in person. How are they, deeper, more open? Do they tend to fit one type of horse (narrow, wide, curvy) more than another? How are they for petite riders?

I'm very petite, and looking to fit a tall (15.3) wide Arab with a curvy back.
I love mine. I purchased it used last spring and have been so pleased.

The seat in my Diplomat is fairly deep. I am 5'5" and it fits my body very well. I really feel like my legs hang well, and I can feel my gelding's barrel under my calves. I am not sure if a petite rider would feel as comfortable in it as I do, and the other riders I know who ride in a Sommer are in the average size range, too. But for me and my horse it has been awesome.

I have a wide Arab (he is 15.1) and all the stars aligned for me, my horse and this saddle in that two days after I bought it, a saddle fitter was in town for our big, annual dressage show and she was able to fit it perfectly. I am often told that my gelding is built more like "a mini-warmblood", and less like the "typical" Arab. I think he is pretty typical of the Polish lines, though, with the wider body and more curvy top line.
Sheilah

Invite
Oct. 5, 2010, 07:12 PM
I have a Theo Sommer Esprit for my Thoroughbred gelding. Screech is not built like a typical Thoroughbred. He has a big barrel, huge shoulders, along with a big front end. He is 15.3 and I am 5'10". He easily takes up all of my leg and upper body. Screech is a curvy guy. The tree on this saddle is flexible and I believe the points are positioned to help those with bigger shoulders.

I have been very happy with this saddle.

MelanieC
Oct. 7, 2010, 12:21 AM
Thanks for the info all. The saddle search is a bit stressful for me since there are so few local tack shops and I really want to ride my horse!

Danny is more substantial than most Arabs (Egyptian/Spanish and got his mom's Spanish body I think) and I think his shape may present fitting problems. I just don't want to spend hundreds of dollars shipping saddles for trial and then having to send them back.

Here's a bad iPhone conformation shot:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/soloriver/5058887478/

arabiansrock
Oct. 7, 2010, 12:34 AM
Melanie
I really think a Black Country Eden might work well for Danny. My older mare is shaped very similar (she is pure spanish and is quite the chunk, but with a scoopy back) and that saddle was suggested for her. Only prob was, I wasn't shopping for her!!!

Anyway Trumbull mtn carries them, and can work off photos and wither tracings. They fit my mare quite well remotely and I would have bought their suggested saddle, but my trainer didn't like the way I rode in it. GRRR.

Another saddle that was suggested for my Duett Fidelio has a curvier tree and is moderately priced.

stillpoint
Oct. 11, 2010, 02:19 PM
Love my Sommer (Jane Savoie Flextra) saddles. Marty and Beth at Horse of Course are fabulous to work with. I am also short (5'3"), and this has been my favorite saddle of any I have ever ridden in.

Diskretion
Oct. 13, 2010, 11:51 AM
I have a Sommer Esprit saddle. I found this saddle by accident in a tackshop, way in the back.... I had never heard of them or of their felxtra tree or anything of the sort. I took it out on trial... LOVED it.

I loved it so much, I didn't buy the second hand model, but ordered a bran new one. They were very helpful, made me take the measurments and all... and it's the best saddle I have ever owned.

It somehow puts me into a perfect position without "locking" me in like some other saddles do. I have freedom of movement and yet I'm still very well supported.

The workmanship on this saddle is GREAT - and I love the fact that it is not made with foam, so my saddle fitter can come and adjust it whenever needed.

I was riding a very wide Cheval Canadien when I got this saddle and it fit him like a glove. I now have a 17 Hanoverian cross, who is slimmer, but with a minor adjustment, my saddle fitter made it work again.

This saddle is great and I strongly recommend it.