PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions on new half chaps

Renn/aissance
Oct. 5, 2010, 12:40 AM
My trusty old Grand Prix chaps are falling apart- and they have a right to after 8 years. I'm looking for a new pair.

- Must be black leather
- Must have a Spanish top or else some kind of curve to the top
- Must be able to survive me
- Here's the tricky bit- must come in my size. I'm 21" from knee to floor and in breeches my calf measures about 15.5" at widest point. I ride in half chaps and jeans also.

Was looking at the Tredsteps- since they measure from knee to ankle it seems that their tall height may work for me. Any opinions about how well they hold up? Other brand suggestions?

Ray
Oct. 5, 2010, 05:03 AM
Tredsteps hold up very well

equest
Oct. 5, 2010, 09:57 AM
The Ariat Cameos hold up well, except for the silly decorative Velcro attachment (I don't bother with it). Dover's had them on closeout for $39 the other day.

LogRun96
Oct. 5, 2010, 10:02 AM
Tredsteps are awesome! Mine are about 7 years old, and while they definitely look 'well loved' they are still quite functional and comfortable. I'll certainly be replacing them with another pair of Tredsteps when the time comes.

Tap2Tango
Oct. 5, 2010, 10:10 AM
Don't get the Tredsteps!!!!!! I have an older pair that has held up great but is starting to get ratty looking. I replaced them this past winter and hate the new ones. The leather isn't nearly as nice and the fit is different. The bottom snap also popped off after only a few rides. I took them back and they said they have been having this problem a lot.

Laguna 007
Oct. 5, 2010, 10:18 AM
Someone I know just got black leather Parlanti half chaps. They're pricey, but they fit like a glove and are absolutely beautiful. They look so much like a tall boot that she actually showed in them a couple of weeks ago.

Hunterlover17
Oct. 5, 2010, 10:59 AM
I loved the look of the Tredsteps. I purchased a pair in April. After 3 months, both bottom snaps popped off. I ride every day and these half chaps look like there are 10 years old, not 6 months old. I'm not very happy with the amount of money I shelled out for these and the results. :no:

alibi_18
Oct. 5, 2010, 11:22 AM
I love my Sergio Grasso <Torino> ones http://www.sergiograsso.it/

and my Larocque (Mine are simple black with NO fringes!!! 18high, 13.5calf)http://www.larocquechaps.com/

And my Ariat Monaco with matching paddock...fabulous. But I've heard they had some trouble with those, leather and stitching problem, mine are still good but I only use them for shows...http://www.ariat.com/products_detail.aspx?pcid=8&cid=1&scid=11&pid=844

LvdSprtHorse
Oct. 5, 2010, 01:30 PM
Count me as another who has had issues with the Tredsteps. After about 6 rides the bottom snap of my Tredstep Deluxes popped off. Not happy, especially since they won't repair/replace mine given how common this issue seems.

naters
Oct. 5, 2010, 01:41 PM
The bottom snaps on my Treadsteps also popped off somewhere. I was quite annoyed.

However, I took them to a local seamstress who put new snaps on, and I have been wearing them about 3x per week for the last two years and like them!

Philosopher
Oct. 5, 2010, 01:52 PM
I also would not recommend Tredstep. I had the Trimlines and after a couple months of wear they were barely hanging together. Zipper failure, elastic failure, holes in the leather. I ride a lot of horses, but I also take very good care of my gear and my leather products usually last a long time. Boo on Smartpak, they would not give me a refund or exchange, informing me that this was normal wear and tear.

I do recommend the Ariat Covington half chaps (http://www.doversaddlery.com/ariat-covington-half-chaps/p/X1-35116/cn/2154/). They have a lovely high Spanish top, complete with swagger tab, a very sturdy grain leather calf panel, and a bit of elastic in the back for a good fit. Aside from the inside calf, the whole half chap is smooth sturdy leather which can be polished and holds a very nice shine. They also have a nice little "keeper" that prevents the zipper from sliding. Sixish months in they have broken in nicely but show no defects and no significant wear. If I weren't such a turnout snob, I would definitely deem them suitable to show in.

In my experience they tend to run a bit tall and narrow. I measure a 19 knee to floor, so I got the tall, which they claim is a 19.5 . It works, but they don't drop much and in retrospect I think the medium height (18) would have been MORE than tall enough.

Well that's it for my half-chap novel I suppose :cool:

caffeinated
Oct. 5, 2010, 02:12 PM
I love my tredsteps. I also had an issue with one of the snaps popping out - have not bothered to replace it, just ride with that one unsnapped, and have been perfectly happy with them.

The pair I have is going on two years with no other issues, I like the way they fit and haven't had any other problems other than the snap (but since I don't really "need" the snap it doesn't bother me or interfere with fit/riding at all).

My main consideration was the number of sizing options - I have odd lower legs and have trouble finding many off the shelf things that fit me from the knees down.

Starhouse
Oct. 5, 2010, 02:32 PM
I just returned my 8 month old Treadsteps to Dover. I hated them, which was disappointing because like you, I had asked around and the Treadsteps were the chaps that came most recommended with great reviews. They looked terrible and I don't even ride that often (4-5 times a week on one horse). I hated the snap, not because it broke, but because I could not get them undone easily. They started out looking really nice but quickly got ratty-looking.

I exchanged them for the Ariat Concords, which fit really well and are of surprisingly good quality for the price.

Kristin
Oct. 5, 2010, 03:17 PM
I have the Tredstep Deluxe half chaps and I love them. They fit like a glove, are extremely comfortable, and seem to be holding up very well- still look brand new. I clean them after every ride though and never let gunk build up, so that probably has helped them a good deal!

There are reviews on smartpak you can read as well:

http://www.smartpakequine.com/productclass.aspx?productClassid=3216

NeedsAdvil
Oct. 5, 2010, 04:16 PM
Are you a giant? :lol: 21" seems awfully tall. Most half chap manufacturers only make them up to 19 or 19 1/2". Your best bet given your size would probably be to go custom, or wear chaps that are too short and hokey looking.

myvanya
Oct. 5, 2010, 04:58 PM
I recently (last 4 months) got a pair of tredsteps (profile IIs because I am cheap) and love them. I got them because my last pair of ariats fell apart after less than a year and the talls really weren't tall enough. The Tredsteps had the sizing options I needed (14/19) and they fit me considerably better than my ariats ever did and still look brand new. So...maybe worth trying.

And no- I am not a giant :lol: or a teenager....I just happen to need really tall half chaps and boots.

JustABay
Oct. 5, 2010, 05:23 PM
I am also quite tall, and my half chaps are 21" as well. I bought a pair of the Dy'on half chaps and they've worked out well. Plus they have back zippers, which I prefer the look of rather than side zips. Mine have held up very well over the past year of abuse, I recommend them highly!

http://www.runningfox.com/productdetail.php?id=506

Before them, I had the M. Decima half chaps and LOVED them! I killed them in about 5 years, and I was terrible to them. They also washed well. Also come very tall, and also highly recommended.
http://www.runningfox.com/productdetail.php?id=207
They come in leather and suede...and are on sale too:D

Creaghgal
Oct. 5, 2010, 05:26 PM
I am ecstatic with my Tredstep Trimline II chaps! They are the most comfortable things I’ve ever strapped on to ride in.

The inside panel is a waxed leather with super duper grip.
I paired them with Tredstep Contour boots and love the rubber ridges on the sole that keep my foot in the stirrup no matter what goes on underneath me.

Throw a pair of Fits Breeches into that mix and I can honestly feel that I will never fall off ever again.

Famous last words. :yes:

TrueGrit
Oct. 5, 2010, 09:06 PM
I am also quite tall, and my half chaps are 21" as well. I bought a pair of the Dy'on half chaps and they've worked out well. Plus they have back zippers, which I prefer the look of rather than side zips. Mine have held up very well over the past year of abuse, I recommend them highly!

http://www.runningfox.com/productdetail.php?id=506

Before them, I had the M. Decima half chaps and LOVED them! I killed them in about 5 years, and I was terrible to them. They also washed well. Also come very tall, and also highly recommended.
http://www.runningfox.com/productdetail.php?id=207
They come in leather and suede...and are on sale too:D

I *love love love* my Dyon half chaps - gorgeous soft French leather, and so comfortable! They also make custom sizes if their stock sizes don't fit. I haven't tried the other French brand, but the Dyon's are beautifully crafted, have a wonderful grip, shaped properly ( so they don't fall down like a pair of old socks ), and the zip in the back makes for a much nicer appearance, imho. Hugely popular in Europe... they're just making their way across the pond. If you love French saddles, you'll love Dyon Chaps. ( They make stunning bridles, too... )

islndgirl
Oct. 5, 2010, 09:32 PM
I just got the Ariat Breeze and having only ordered them from Dover and never actually seen them in person, I was pleasantly surprised. I have previously had three pairs of Ariat All Round half chaps that dont last well - the suede gets all slippy, the suede over teh elastic disintegrates, the zippers break and the snap never stays done.

The Breeze are awesome! They are so lightweight so they are super comfortable. They only have a velcro piece at the bottom so no worry of snaps not working. They feel very durable (had them a couple months now and no blemishes) and they are really grippy! Apparently they are also washable though I have not tried that yet. They cleaned up perfectly with a sponge and some tack cleaner. Would highly recommend them!

Renn/aissance
Oct. 5, 2010, 09:37 PM
I am not a giant, but my lower leg is disproportionately long. The Dyon chaps look great, but unfortunately are out of my price range (which I should have specified.) Perhaps I can find some used?

What I'm hearing about the Tredsteps concerns me- I'm hoping my next pair will last me as long as my current ones have, and the trouble with the snaps is worrying.

justmagic
Oct. 5, 2010, 10:51 PM
I don't know what the Dyons cost but I have Parlanti 1/2 chaps and full boots. They have worn great and fit like a glove. My tall boots are custom but the 1/2 chaps are "off the rack". Fortunately I was able to get a pair "off the rack" (and you know how tall (or rather short) I am but I believe they come in many different sizes so it might be worth looking into. I was going through 2-3 pairs of 1/2 chaps a year prior to getting the Parlantis and it's been about a year and so far so good!

lesyl
Oct. 5, 2010, 11:18 PM
The Ariat Cameos hold up well, except for the silly decorative Velcro attachment (I don't bother with it). Dover's had them on closeout for $39 the other day.
I have a pair and they are quite durable. These are going to last well forever which is good, but the downside is these are toasty for southern Arizona. I swear I could wear these across the taiga, drinking vodka and be immune to the threat of frostbite.

luchiamae
Oct. 6, 2010, 02:20 AM
You can never go wrong with Parlanti or Sergio Grasso... but that's only if you want to spend the extra money.

SolarFlare
Oct. 6, 2010, 08:53 AM
Have you tried on Pro Chaps? I think they come stock up to 19" height but you might be able to order taller ones. The top is also Spanish-cut so it adds a lot of height to the outside of the chap.

I have a pair of the "Fit" model and love them. A number of others at my barn have the same ones.

http://prochaps.com/en/fit.htm

Schune
Oct. 6, 2010, 11:49 AM
I love Grand Prix chaps.

As soon as I get my new credit card, I'll probably bless it with a purchase of the GP leather half chaps in brown.

The top isn't really spanish cut, which is what you want, however.

DinkDunk
Oct. 6, 2010, 01:10 PM
I second the Grand Prixs. I LOVE mine. I was gifted a pair of Ariats and I HATE them. The zip from the bottom is horribly annoying, not to mention difficult.

The leather on the GrandPrixs is lovely and soft and they have lasted for 3 years of regular riding.

jrzeqrider
Oct. 6, 2010, 01:20 PM
http://www.beval.com/Products/Beval-Puissance-Half-Chaps/1080900.aspx

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE these half chaps. I've had them for about three years and had to have some of the stitching redone once, but not a big deal to me. They have a 20" height, would that work?

naters
Oct. 7, 2010, 10:10 AM
What I'm hearing about the Tredsteps concerns me- I'm hoping my next pair will last me as long as my current ones have, and the trouble with the snaps is worrying.

Eh, it is annoying, but I think the seamstress I took it too charged me $5 for the fix. (I had the snap though!).

It would be super nice, though, if Treadstep just fixed the issue.

mbmarsh
Oct. 9, 2010, 12:39 PM
and my Larocque (Mine are simple black with NO fringes!!! 18high, 13.5calf)http://www.larocquechaps.com/

OK, I have to ask a dumb question - I'm sorry. I was looking at the Larocque chaps, since I'm now thoroughly disgusted with both Ariat and Tredstep (Trimlines, meh, not so nice after four months). On the Larocque website, they show all their sample chaps - I don't see any with the elastic strap that goes underneath your foot. Do these chaps not have that? If not, how do the stay in place? Or did they just not show them in the pictures.

I realize this is an extraordinarily dumb question, but for the life of me, I couldn't figure this out - I was thinking of asking hubby for some for Christmas, but couldn't get this part straightened out in my head....thanks!