PDA

View Full Version : Questions about W/T "jump" classes

eventamy
Oct. 4, 2010, 09:30 PM
My just turned 7 year old daughter is doing her first hunter/jumper show next month. She has shown locally since she was 2 (leadline), has competed primarily in dressage and Pony Club (Tetrathlon and dressage). Now we're taking her to a Hunter/Jumper show next month where she'll be doing the W/T division (Eq. flat, pleasure flat, 2 poles courses and a tiny xrail course.

Anyway, my question. Should she be in a half-seat position when she trots over the poles and over the tiny xrails? The class list says that they are allowed to canter between the xrail jumps in a line but I seriously doubt her pony will (only does what he absolutely has to and over tiny xrails he prefers to pretend they're not even there). Any more info you can give us would be great! I grew up doing H/J and switched to eventing but it's been a long while since I've been to a H/J show.
THANKS!

mrollosson
Oct. 4, 2010, 09:34 PM
At every show I have been to lately, both the lead line kids and the "just off line" kids all do two-point over ground poles and cross rails.

Mayaty02
Oct. 4, 2010, 09:39 PM
good question...don't quite have the answer though I assume they will do jumping position over the poles and definitely over anything that is a "jump" (whether or not the pony agrees :))

To add to this question, in a class where you can trot or canter the cross rails, would you get penalized for trotting into the line and cantering out? I didn't think you would but was at a show recently and that seems to be what happened...those that trotted the whole course placed higher than those that trotted in and cantered out. Just curious if that's what we normally see...thanks for letting my hijack a little ;)

hellerkm
Oct. 4, 2010, 09:42 PM
If you trot in you should trot out, at least around here. They want a consistent pace all the way around. Diagonals count even between the fences so make sure she remembers to check. And yes a nice conservative 2 point over even the ground rails is appropriate. GOOD LUCK and have fun!