PDA

View Full Version : Washing half chaps

Bopper
Oct. 4, 2010, 09:06 PM
I have only used half chaps for a couple of years but mine are now totally gross. I have washed my full chaps before but I was not sure if half chaps were to same because of the elastic type stuff. Can they be washed?

I know they will shrink which is okay because they are a little big right now.

Thanks, Bopper

wsmoak
Oct. 4, 2010, 09:07 PM
I have been known to throw mine in the washer with some Murphy's oil soap.

The suede is never quite the same, but then again I don't work on it with a brush afterwards, I just let them air dry.

Deb413
Oct. 4, 2010, 10:36 PM
I have the Grand Prix half chaps and have washed them--no problem. I have only washed them twice so far. Could use another wash soon. ;)

SquirrellyBred
Oct. 5, 2010, 09:32 AM
Try using Leather Therapy and wash them by themselves (in case the leather dye bleeds out a little). Air dry, and you'll be back in business. I've also used the Leather Therapy conditioner on the inside of the half chaps to keep the leather suppple as it dries. "Inside" as in the side of the half chaps that wraps around your leg, as opposed to the outside of your inner calf which contacts the horse. Not sure if that made sense....

Mukluk
Oct. 5, 2010, 09:45 AM
Does leather therapy work on suede?

pharmgirl
Oct. 5, 2010, 11:26 AM
Yup, it says it works on suede and I have actually used it successfully to wash suede half chaps.

Celeritas
Oct. 5, 2010, 11:35 AM
Another vote for the Leather Therapy leather wash. Works great on suede, and the elastic gets super clean too. Definitely make sure to wash them alone, or with other leather items that could use a wash, like gloves or full seat breeches.

Jaegermonster
Oct. 5, 2010, 01:38 PM
Love the Leather Therapy for the washing machine.
Y'all are going to laugh, but I usually make a whole load. Half chaps, take a bridle or two apart and throw in there, some reins, maybe some stirrup leathers, maybe a Mattes pad, and off it goes.
Just pull out the Mattes pad right away, shake out and put in the sun to dry, and oil all the strap goods and you're set.