PDA

View Full Version : Attire for a Scribe at Regional Championships

ACP
Oct. 4, 2010, 08:50 PM
I am going to scribe all three days for the Region 3 Championship in Conyers, GA, on Oct. 15, 16 & 17. The 'request' was 'dress like a judge', look nice, no jeans. The problem is the weather.

The average high is 74 for the month of Oct. Highs/Lows for today and the next few days are:

High: 68°/Low: 43°
High: 71°/Low: 42°
High: 73°/Low: 46°
High: 78°/Low: 51°
High: 78°/Low: 52°

What on earth am I going to wear that will be okay at 7:30 am when it will be below 60, and also be okay at 3:00 pm when it will be 74 to 78? I hate to change clothes every day at lunch, or lug around a coat. Any suggestions?

DownYonder
Oct. 4, 2010, 09:08 PM
I would think slacks with nice shirt or blouse, and some additional layers for the cool mornings - a sweater or light jacket, etc. Also maybe a lap fleece to wrap around your legs in the mornings.

BetterOffRed
Oct. 4, 2010, 09:28 PM
What is it that boyscouts say, "be prepared." What do fashionistas say, "overpack" !?!?!?!?

Slacks or chinos, layer the tops- like a nice tshirt with a sweater or fleece top over it. Jacket or windbreaker. . Jacket/fuzzy fleece. Comfy shoes, warm socks.

A lap blanket.

Starbucks.

DownYonder
Oct. 5, 2010, 07:20 AM
Also bring a seat cushion - they will probably put you on one of those hard folding chairs, and the seats get pretty cold in our chilly Oct mornings here in GA. And don't forget a raincoat and hat - yeah, you will be in a judge's box if stationed at an outside arena, but if we get a good rain going, it can blow into the box. Also, don't worry about carrying a lot of gear - they will most likely take you to and fro in a golf cart.

NCSue
Oct. 5, 2010, 09:09 AM
Most scribes use their cell phones for official show time. That's great unless it's raining. Even if in a judge's box some cell phones will pick up that moisture and then you are out of a working phone. Wear a watch that you can set easily.

TeamWahlen
Oct. 5, 2010, 02:37 PM
As a side note from a rider in Region 3 - Thank you for taking the time out of your day to scribe! I am not riding in Regionals this year (personal choice even though I qualified) but I have ridden in the past two years. Thank you for sitting out there and volunteering your time :D

PaulaM
Oct. 5, 2010, 03:34 PM
It is fantastic that you are taking the time to volunteer to scribe. It is a pretty thankless job.

As for attire, it is best to dress in layers. During breaks you can always take a layer off and put in your vehicle or show office.

You've had some really great suggestions here already. Have fun!

BetterOffRed
Oct. 5, 2010, 03:38 PM
Scribing is probably my favorite job as a volunteer.

1) you get to sit. And hopefully, the show manager has built in enough bio breaks! :eek:
2) you get the inside scoop about what judges are looking for in particular movements or tests
3) you get to see the judges from a much less intimidating side- they are often very humorous and chatty and are willing to give out free advise if you are nice to them! :D
4) The good volunteer coordinators will supply you with free lunch and sometimes starbucks!
5)sometimes you get to meet your idols- Hilda Gurney, Carol Lavell, etc.

ACP
Oct. 5, 2010, 10:12 PM
Actually,I am looking forward to it. I've managed a good number of smaller two ring, two day, two judge type shows, and some breed shows, but am coming back to horses after a long time off due to illness.

I've scribed before too, so I knew about a cushion, raincoat and hat, watch, etc. I will be with the same judge all three days, too.

Layers it is, and I appreciate both the advice and the 'thank yous'. People who haven't been involved in management often have NO IDEA the logistics required to put on something like this.

My sister is coming too, she'll paddock manage all three days.

I have a nice wool plaid throw I'll take with me to wrap up if it gets really cool.

To those of you who will show, hope I get to write all 7, 8 and 9 scores!

SunflowerMeadowsFarm
Oct. 5, 2010, 10:22 PM
I find scribing so rewarding! I know other people find it a bit boring, which I can understand... but oh I enjoy the oppurtunity to soak up little tid bits of knowledge as the days go by! Who better to learn from then the judge him or herself! And I find you're right, if you are good to them and patient through out the day, they will reward you with great information!

Enjoy the weekend! :)

jcotton
Oct. 5, 2010, 10:46 PM
Just my opinion, I scribe alot......dress like you care your image....I try not to look like a slob ( I refuse to wear the 'volunteer' t-shirts) (I never wear t-shirts in public!!!)....-I dress semi-preppie/very conservative/traditional.... dress according to the weather and with the next big show being championships-dress better (but in region 9 could be 90 degrees or 40 degress and rainy, cold, muddy,....yuck),
...be neat in my dress...and be obedient as always.... write what the judge tells me to write.
play well with others....do not run with scissors.......

doesn't matter if it is regionals or not....dress like you are a professional scribe. (whether you get paid or not) the definition of a volunteer.

mickeydoodle
Oct. 5, 2010, 11:26 PM
I really like to scribe, and do it alot. I would wear some black or grey, tan, brown slacks and a nice shirt. Come with sweater/jacket to layer. If it is hot in the afternoon, I change the slacks to shorts. Bring a hat in case.

Bring sunscreen incase it is not in the judges box, and motrin/aleve if needed. I use a "four color or three color" pen to scribe, that way I have black ink for all usual numbers and notes, and red for errors.

Bravo to you for volunteering.!!

(and you might want a little Prozac or something like it- I scribed for one regional championship where the judge was so negative, did not think anyone could ride, all scores were under 60. Just to warn you, do not take it personally)

ACP
Oct. 7, 2010, 01:29 PM
Well, I know the judge slightly, and have a good impression of her. I also know NOT to make any comments about riders and/or horses and/or trainers, or ask dumb questions, or ask for training advice. I've always thought that a scribe ought to let the judge decide how friendly the situation is going to be, some judges visit a lot on the side and some are very business like.

I am planning to dress like a judge, if that makes sense. No jeans or shorts or t-shirts. Comfortable shoes, slacks, a blouse, a light jacket or dressy sweater, a wide brimmed straw hat, raincoat, pillow, throw for my legs if it gets cold, etc. I normally wear sunscreen and drink a lot of water but will slightly restrict my fluids so I can make it to the potty without causing a problem!

We have a very nice Goodwill store near us so I plan to look there for one more pair of slacks, at least, as nearly all of my stuff is suitable to wear to the barn or around the grounds at a show, but not dressy at all. I have one nice outfit and parts of a couple more, but need to add slacks. I've lost enough weight that I need new things!

Cookiewoo
Oct. 11, 2010, 09:35 AM
Watched Region IV on Saturday. Most scribes wore jeans and shirts not really tucked in. We all know there are jeans and there are really nice jeans, these looked like barn clothes.

ACP
Oct. 11, 2010, 11:35 PM
I will not wear barn jeans. I have three outfits complete:

# 1 - Black linen-look trousers, red blouse, blazer that is a red and black and tan plaid. I've got black lace up shoes and nice red and black and gold accessories.

# 2 - Dressy denim trousers that are a dark navy with a faint pinstripe. They don't have pockets or hems or seams like jeans, they are trousers that happen to be denim. I have a pink t-shirt and a white blouse that goes over it, with little eyelets that are in various colors - pink and green and blue. I've got a jacket the exact shade of green as the green eyelets and will wear it. I have comfortable walk in gravel and sand pink shoes.

# 3 - Black trousers again, this time with a burgundy silk blouse and gray mohair sweater. Same shoes. If I have time I will shop for dark gray trousers.

Plus raincoat, throw for my legs, pillow for my butt, liniment gel for my right hand, sun screen, map of facility, lists of classes I will scribe, with a copy of each test to review, a print out of the abbreviations from USDF to review, AND a print out of the Glossary of terms!

This points up a problem that I think a lot of riders have. My husband is retired and we are not formal people, plus we don't go to church or dances or stuff. I have barn clothing. I have riding clothing. I have slouch around the house clothing that my husband calls 'your rags' but I love since it is so old and comfy. But I don't have dressy sportswear!

mickeydoodle
Oct. 11, 2010, 11:55 PM
you will be the best dressed scribe ANYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!! have fun

SillyHorse
Oct. 12, 2010, 09:43 AM
You will look great. I think it will be nice for the riders to see scribes who look like they care.

ACP
Oct. 12, 2010, 04:06 PM
My sister, who also rides, has a good bit of the sort of clothing that I'd call "Dressy Sportswear" since she shows dogs on a regular basis. She came over and helped me PURGE my closet and then drug me out to shop for some new things. So now I am well equipped to be a dressed up scribe!