PDA

View Full Version : Lederbalsam on tall boots??

LuvMyTB
Oct. 4, 2010, 04:33 PM
I have been trying to break in my new tall boots with moderate success. I've walked in them, ridden in them, worn them around the house; the ankles are creasing but I still need heel lifts, and they are just board-stiff. They're a cheaper brand so the leather quality isn't super-high.

Can I use Effax Lederbalsam on them to soften them up? I am not too concerned about keeping them super-shiny; they are for schooling and local/unrated shows only.

eclipse
Oct. 5, 2010, 02:55 PM
I have been trying to break in my new tall boots with moderate success. I've walked in them, ridden in them, worn them around the house; the ankles are creasing but I still need heel lifts, and they are just board-stiff. They're a cheaper brand so the leather quality isn't super-high.

Can I use Effax Lederbalsam on them to soften them up? I am not too concerned about keeping them super-shiny; they are for schooling and local/unrated shows only.

I used it on my paddock boots and it worked very well to soften stiff leather. I also gave it to my friend to use on her quite expensive but very tight and painful 4 inch heels and she loved it! :lol:

forestergirl99
Oct. 5, 2010, 06:10 PM
I use Passier Lederbalsam on my tall boots, and it works great!! Made them super soft and SHINYY!

Troispony
Oct. 5, 2010, 11:09 PM
Used it on my tall boots just around the ankles and they broke in so quickly!! No effect on shinyness as far as I can tell, either. Don't put it on until you are done going in the ring/stalls, though, it makes dirt and shavings stick to the leather.

fourmares
Oct. 6, 2010, 12:39 AM
Try putting it on the inside of the ankles. That way you don't have to worry about the shine.

luchiamae
Oct. 6, 2010, 02:21 AM
I've used them and it worked really well! Made the leather so soft and they dropped around my ankles beautifully.

JumpWithPanache
Oct. 6, 2010, 08:11 AM
Another Lederbalsam user here too! I used the Passier stuff on the ankle portion and right behind the knee of my boots. Worked wonders to soften up that area and I didn't notice any difference in shine either.

LuvMyTB
Oct. 6, 2010, 08:39 AM
Thanks guys! I had read on some other threads here and on a few other BBs that Lederbalsam-type products can dull the shine on boot leather. Wasn't really concerned about the shine--I'd rather be able to wear them without being in agony!--but it's good to know y'all haven't had problems in that regard.

Hunterlover17
Oct. 6, 2010, 10:48 AM
Another user of the Lederbalsam on the field boots here! I even use it on my paddock boots and half chaps too. Love the stuff. No issues with dulling.