PDA

View Full Version : Showing with a fractured heel? Possible?

3eme
Oct. 4, 2010, 05:01 PM
I have a fracture in my heel (cast, crutches, the works). Please please don't yell at me for asking but... has anyone ever attempted to show while sporting a fractured heel? My cast is removable, so I could take it off to put on my boots.

It ONLY hurts when I put weight on the back of my foot, which we don't exactly do when we ride, so I'm thinking, as long as I can slap my boots on and get a leg up, I'd be good to go.

Important show coming up in two weeks, which is why I am asking. I can rest until then ...

Parrotnutz
Oct. 4, 2010, 05:07 PM
I would say NO..I fractured my heel last year and had to have 2 screws put in with no weight bearing for 8 weeks. It usually involves the achilles tendon.Think...heels down = Ouch I could not ride for 5 months and 1 year later it is still painful but handleable.
Hope yours is not as bad.....

49th_parallel
Oct. 4, 2010, 05:09 PM
Your doctor would say "NOOOO" but since I'm not your doctor, I'd say...possibly. I've seen it done and I've seen people ride with a broken arm (cut the cast off), just to finish out the year. tsk tsk. I don't agree. If the break was recent and the bone is setting, you're taking a big risk. If you are in the final stages of healing and about to 'lose' the cast anyways...dunno.

Realistically, how much solid practice are you going to get in during these next 2 weeks anyways? There are so many things that could go wrong. If it was me, I wouldn't take the chance.

Or would I?

Well this isn't turning out to be helpful at all, is it?!

horsetales
Oct. 4, 2010, 05:18 PM
I could give you the name of my DR - she's a rider and when I asked her about riding being ok after the incident, she said I don't think I've ever told anyone they couldn't ride since I know I have never listened to someone tell me not to :lol:
Good luck

3eme
Oct. 4, 2010, 05:20 PM
I would say NO..I fractured my heel last year and had to have 2 screws put in with no weight bearing for 8 weeks. It usually involves the achilles tendon.Think...heels down = Ouch I could not ride for 5 months and 1 year later it is still painful but handleable.
Hope yours is not as bad.....

Luckily, mine is not as bad. It is a small fracture, no surgery will be needed, and I have full rotation of my ankle with no pain. Only stepping on the heel hurts.

BLBGP
Oct. 4, 2010, 05:22 PM
Well, it will really hurt if you fall off. Can you ride without stirrups to not stress the foot/tendons?

3eme
Oct. 4, 2010, 05:22 PM
I could give you the name of my DR - she's a rider and when I asked her about riding being ok after the incident, she said I don't think I've ever told anyone they couldn't ride since I know I have never listened to someone tell me not to :lol:
Good luck

I think I like your doctor! Mine, of course, does not ride and all I got was a lecture on how dangerous horses are, the party pooper.

3eme
Oct. 4, 2010, 05:23 PM
Well, it will really hurt if you fall off. Can you ride without stirrups to not stress the foot/tendons?

I'd rather not at 1.25M... ! :D

Parrotnutz
Oct. 4, 2010, 06:41 PM
Luckily, mine is not as bad. It is a small fracture, no surgery will be needed, and I have full rotation of my ankle with no pain. Only stepping on the heel hurts.

is it a "hairline fracture"? Mine broke in half and most fractures shatter the heel in pieces.
If you did not need surgery then I am thinking it is hairline. The problem with riding...you could fracture it further into pieces and then you will need surgery.
I could rotate my ankle and move the foot the whole time even in the ER so I thought it was OK, LOL. If it still hurts when u put weight on it it is not healed yet...once my bone was healed that did not hurt. but its the achilles tendon that still gives me problems as it tore off the heel....
So the answer is: you can ride as long as you know that if further injury happens you may be laid up a long time....and I am not one to say don't ride, LOL I just know how this particular fracture enhibts me to this day.

3eme
Oct. 4, 2010, 06:49 PM
is it a "hairline fracture"? Mine broke in half and most fractures shatter the heel in pieces.
If you did not need surgery then I am thinking it is hairline. The problem with riding...you could fracture it further into pieces and then you will need surgery.
I could rotate my ankle and move the foot the whole time even in the ER so I thought it was OK, LOL. If it still hurts when u put weight on it it is not healed yet...once my bone was healed that did not hurt. but its the achilles tendon that still gives me problems as it tore off the heel....
So the answer is: you can ride as long as you know that if further injury happens you may be laid up a long time....and I am not one to say don't ride, LOL I just know how this particular fracture enhibts me to this day.

yeah, it is not a major break, I guess it might be a hairline fracture -- I'm dealing with French medical terms here, so I am not sure of the direct translation but I am guessing that you are right. Not a lot showed up on the xrays, just on the MRI.

You are probably right, I could be taking a big risk. It is just so darn tempting :winkgrin:

Kikki
Oct. 4, 2010, 07:44 PM
If it felt alright and there was little to no soft tissue damage and I wasn't going to cause a nonunion or fracture displacement, I would be one to consider it myself. But I can't make such health decisions for other ;)

crazyhorses
Oct. 4, 2010, 07:47 PM
I ride all the time with sprained ankles (not the same thing I know! lol) because I'm constantly falling in holes :confused: Dunno how I manage to do that.

But I ride with vet wrap or something like it around my foot when this happens... DUnno if that would help in your situation or not?

sptraining
Oct. 4, 2010, 10:34 PM
Advil yourself, wrap it up and go. Ice it after and take more advil. :D (I'm not a doctor but my dad is - this is generally his advice for me whenever I hurt something).

Having had to do medal finals with a recently bruised tail bone, it was a lot harder to ride because I couldn't sit down to make the turns. Do a practice run before you show to make sure you can actually do it.

If Richard Spooner could show the GPs with a broken foot, what's to stop you from the 1.25m? ;)

kimball1
Oct. 4, 2010, 10:56 PM
If there are no pins or screws, it doesn't hurt, and you are 99% sure you will get around without falling off unless you have a freak accident like horse trips in the triple and face plants, why not? Are your chances any worse than slipping on your stairs or having a car accident? If you really want to do it, go for it, but if you foot issue will be in the back of your mind the whole time, don't. You will hesitate at the wrong second...

Lucassb
Oct. 4, 2010, 11:06 PM
Yes, possible.

Ride without stirrups between now and then - don't stress it unnecessarily, plus it will improve your leg anyway. You should be able to tolerate the stirrup on the actual day of competition - after all, it only takes a minute something to get around most courses.

dogbluehorse
Oct. 4, 2010, 11:06 PM
I recently broke my toe, and asked my dr (best foot dr in Boston) if it was OK to ride (same rationale, only hurts while I am putting my boot on, not too bad after that), and he said "let pain be your guide". i.e. if you can handle the pain, go for it. So I have been riding, it works fine. Riding is less painful than many others things I have to keep on doing, so may as well enjoy the fun parts!

klmck63
Oct. 4, 2010, 11:20 PM
Well, I showed with my arm actually still in a cast, so I would say do a trial run and go for it.

I'm no doctor, but if it doesn't hurt to ride, I'd think you'll be okay. Just remember to be really careful and be at least a little prepared that you could potentially make it worse/slow down the healing process. Then spend lots of time keeping it elevated and iced!

If Eric Lamaze can do it, you can too, right? ;) :D

PNWjumper
Oct. 4, 2010, 11:36 PM
I tried riding when I broke my ankle and fibula. Once the pain abated a week or so after the surgery I hopped on fully planning to ride without stirrups. Didn't go as well as I'd planned out in my head since my cast made my leg stick straight out to the side! :lol:

I was back in the show ring in the 1.30m on my mare almost exactly 12 weeks post break and I can say that it hurt like CRAZY whenever she'd do a funky fence or land particularly hard. And walking the courses was more difficult than usual.

With that being said, I guess I would say that I would probably go for it if I were in your shoes, but be aware that you might end up putting a lot of pressure on your heel as you land off of a particularly big effort. I guess that would be my biggest concern and it would be a shame to do further image if you've got a relatively short recovery period.

It might be worth thinking about riding with only one stirrup. I've [unvoluntarily] ridden in more than one 1.40 or GP class with only one stirrup and it wasn't that bad! :D

tamarak_equestrian
Oct. 6, 2010, 02:27 PM
Possible, but I don't know that I'd advise it. I rode with a broken hand on both the day I broke it (smart, I know, but I was hell bent on doing that victory gallop and in my defence, we didn't know yet that it was broken lol) and 4 weeks later and it hurt like a mofo both times. The second time I wrapped the hand and just sort of wedged the rein between my fingers but I ended up doing my under saddle class with one hand because the other one hurt so much after my o/f trips. They warned me that I'd need surgery if I displaced it so I was scared to ride but finals was 3 days after I got the cast off and I didn't want to go in there on a spooky horse and jump 3'6" after not riding for 6 weeks lol so I attempted an indoor schooling show. If I were in your shoes, I would probably test it out at home on the flat and over some smaller jumps and if that hurts, then you'll know you shouldn't be showing and if you can manage to do that without any pain, then I'd probably go for it.

Canadapony
Oct. 6, 2010, 02:42 PM
I would say no. It is probably swollen so your boot would be uncomfortable, even if it feels fine at first it will probably swell up inside your boot which with cause problems later on down the road

danceronice
Oct. 6, 2010, 02:43 PM
I saw Margie Goldstein-Engel years ago ride a GP course with a fractured leg. Just don't fall off.

Fluffie
Oct. 6, 2010, 03:38 PM
It ONLY hurts when I put weight on the back of my foot, which we don't exactly do when we ride

Well, my sprained ankle only hurt when I put pressure directly on the heel of my foot, but I could NOT ride on it. Wow did putting my heels down hurt. :no:

sweetpea
Oct. 7, 2010, 09:10 AM
I just wnet to the Dr. yesterday -- Wed 10/6 and I have had some major pain issues in the ankle and tendons on my left foot. This was my 3 rd visit .
1st visit revealed prolapsed ankles - going to falling arches in return hot tendons.

2 nd visit better do to brace and some meds and orthodotics--
3rd OMG the pain is so bad-- xrays reveal my bones in feet feet are shifting down where the tendon runs along-- Dr is worried about tendon tearing and ripping completely.

SO now I have to wear types of braces and yes I still ride and I am probaly to active -
BUT let me warn you unless you are 16 you better take it serious of how you take care of that foot when you are not riding. THere is a simple brace you can ride with that totally helps me.

goeslikestink
Oct. 7, 2010, 09:30 AM
I have a fracture in my heel (cast, crutches, the works). Please please don't yell at me for asking but... has anyone ever attempted to show while sporting a fractured heel? My cast is removable, so I could take it off to put on my boots.

It ONLY hurts when I put weight on the back of my foot, which we don't exactly do when we ride, so I'm thinking, as long as I can slap my boots on and get a leg up, I'd be good to go.

Important show coming up in two weeks, which is why I am asking. I can rest until then ...

no, look mate heal it now and take the time you need to, otherwise your going to have a bigger problem and more time off

be patience theres plenty of shows every year so take time out and heal properly and dont ride