PDA

View Full Version : Trainers near Lafayette, LA

Bopper
Oct. 4, 2010, 01:07 PM
I have been riding for several years and have ridden with several different trainers in South Louisiana. Because of where I live right now it is more difficult to get to Folsom, to my current trainer. Lafayette would be a much easier drive for me (I bring my horse with me for lessons.). I don't know details about any of the current trainers in the Lafayette area. Does anyone know details about any trainers?

Thanks, Bopper

BetterOffRed
Oct. 4, 2010, 02:16 PM
Wasn't Sean Steffee to be at Woodland Hills in Carencro? I don't know who is there now but it may be a good place to start....sorry, I am a stress-ager, so my info is probably old.

I will go slink back to the dressage forum now....

Bopper
Oct. 4, 2010, 04:42 PM
I think Sean is in New Orleans now, which would be an even further drive for me than Folsom.

Any other suggestions?

equest
Oct. 5, 2010, 09:52 AM
Hailey Henderson at Willow Oaks Equestrian Center, outside of Lafayette.

Bopper
Oct. 6, 2010, 03:11 PM
Any other suggestions or details about trainers in this area?

sparky6
Oct. 6, 2010, 03:26 PM
Where are you located? Folsom to Lafayette is quite a span. Would trailering in to Baton Rouge be an option? Maybe not as preferable to Lafayette but better than Folsom? There are a few trainers in the Baton Rouge area. If you do a search for Baton Rouge there are a couple of threads about it. Most of the places I remember were actually in Prairieville, which is just south of BR.

Unfortunately I don't know the horse area around here enough to make specific suggestions and I ride at an eventing barn. Maybe those threads will help though (if you're willing to look in the BR area, anyway) Good luck with your hunt!

chloe1295
Oct. 17, 2010, 01:57 PM
I live in Baton Rouge but I am leasing my pony out to a trainer in Sunset, LA near Lafayette. Her name is Michelle Austin and she owns Joie De Vivre Farms. She does hunter/jumper ans dressage. PM me if you want her contact info.

barker_hope
Nov. 23, 2012, 10:39 PM
I'm a student at Rocky Mountain College in Montana, am an equestrian major and am looking at barns in South Louisiana for internships/working students. I found Joie De Vivre Farms online and liked what I saw. I've been doing hunter/jumpers for about 13 years.. Is JDV Farms a good facility?! :) Would it be a decent barn for me to contact?

lomo
Nov. 28, 2012, 11:42 PM
I know Hailey Henderson at Willow Oaks, and Trish Rabalais at Cambridge Stables is another trainer in the area. Both are incredibly nice and go to plenty of horse shows, rated and local. Both train hunter/jumpers with a stronger jumper clientele, but have successful hunters as well! PM me for contact information, I was in Lafayette and just moved close to Folsom, I loved it there!

Lauren12
Nov. 29, 2012, 12:54 AM
Not sure about Folsom, but around Baton Rouge and Prarieville Jack Rockwell and Ashley Glisson are both good. Janet Talmudge is good too - she does the LSU Equestriam Team's coaching.

Barker_Hope: if you are interested in doing internships/externships at hunter/jumper barns, South Louisiana is really not a HJ hotspot. It would probably be much more worth your while to try the east or west coasts at the bigger HJ barns.