PDA

View Full Version : To those of you who's trainer went to WEG...are you frightened!?!

BetterOffRed
Oct. 4, 2010, 12:54 PM
My instructor just got back from WEG. She's a GP rider and an 'S' level judge herself. She just sent us an email confirming this week's lessons.

Here's part of the email that we received:

"...the horses and riders at the World Equestrian Games were inspiring. We need to set a video evening to watch the best rides together. It's back to becoming the best we can be."

So why am I frightened? :lol:

Coppers mom
Oct. 4, 2010, 01:00 PM
Probably because it will probably involve some no stirrups torture sessions :lol:

smithywess
Oct. 4, 2010, 01:05 PM
Did you see the manner in which most of the horses were ridden in their warmups by very well known competitors. I'd be frightened too.

princessfluffybritches
Oct. 4, 2010, 01:06 PM
Hopefully they won't be teaching you to crank up your crank and ride Rollkur for 30 minutes as a warmup!

leilatigress
Oct. 4, 2010, 01:06 PM
Probably because it will probably involve some no stirrups torture sessions :lol:

Yeah DD was pretending to be Isabel Werth on the pony this weekend. Yeah no... 20+ y/o pony with no pizazz just laughs at you when you try to get him to canter much less piaffee. :lol:

BetterOffRed
Oct. 4, 2010, 01:18 PM
Since we already crank, spank, rollkur, LDR, bute to the max, make our horses bleed in the mouth, use max metal, wack our horses in the head, use two too-long whips, wear spurs, tie our horse's heads to our knees- I think we have it all covered! :rolleyes:

So to all of you that:

Do NH, parrelli or similar
Believe in Bitless Bridles
Think crank bridles, flashes and/or weymouth bits are the work of the devil.
Hate any top rider that might put their horses deep, LDR or in Rollkur or even slighly behind the bit
Have never ridden at a recognized show, or have only done so at 2nd level or below yet somehow have the knowledge/experience to critque a WEG horse/rider combo
Have no sense of humor

Go start your own topic and chat amongst yourselves...That way I know who to put on my ignore list.

Thanks and please continue.

Gallop~on~Grant
Oct. 4, 2010, 01:26 PM
GULP! GoG is glad we have a Dr's excuse to get out of lessons for a few weeks!

BetterOffRed
Oct. 4, 2010, 01:27 PM
GULP! GoG is glad we have a Dr's excuse to get out of lessons for a few weeks!

I bet instructor will want to see the original, written excuse! ;)

ginger708
Oct. 4, 2010, 01:36 PM
You know I just didn't think of the implication of my trainers going to the WEG. Mine are coming back this week. I guess I should stock up on Thermacare heating pads and Bengay. However I think I will just let my horse be suprized;).

Gallop~on~Grant
Oct. 4, 2010, 01:37 PM
You are probably right.

ROLLKUR!!! ;b

BetterOffRed
Oct. 4, 2010, 01:39 PM
However I think I will just let my horse be suprized.

Ginger708, please don't tell your horse. He's likely to throw a shoe or something just to get out of work. If we have to suffer, so should our horses! ;)

SillyHorse
Oct. 4, 2010, 01:43 PM
My trainer went to WEG, but the real fear sets in when she comes back from a clinic with Felicitas, always with "More Exercises from Hell." :lol:

atr
Oct. 4, 2010, 01:43 PM
I'm looking forward to my lesson this evening with renewed enthusiasm!

(And that's from me watching WEG online, let alone whatever my trainer has been up to...)

Gallop~on~Grant
Oct. 4, 2010, 01:45 PM
Just wait until she gets back from riding with Steffen Peters...

SillyHorse
Oct. 4, 2010, 01:47 PM
This will be me: :dead:
:lol:

Hampton Bay
Oct. 4, 2010, 01:49 PM
I wish I had a trainer who went to WEG! Even if he/she didn't agree with some of the huge variety of methods used to get to that level, I would welcome the torture!

As it is, I will just have to try to torture myself. Whip under thumbs, park hubby in arena to repeat "leg long, look up" over and over and over.

ginger708
Oct. 4, 2010, 01:52 PM
My trainer went to WEG, but the real fear sets in when she comes back from a clinic with Felicitas, always with "More Exercises from Hell." :lol:

For me it's after a Gary Rockwell clinic the whole barn kicks it up a notch.

BetterOffRed
Oct. 4, 2010, 01:53 PM

eewwww! Hadn't thought of that. Now I'm really skeered! :eek::eek:

SandyUHC
Oct. 4, 2010, 02:00 PM
ginger708, by "kicks it up a notch" do you mean "practices dodging thrown chairs"?

; - )

BetterOffRed
Oct. 4, 2010, 02:03 PM
ginger708, by "kick it up a notch" do you mean practice dodging thrown chairs?
; - )

To those that say dressage is boring, I think we could contend with WWF! :lol:

Gallop~on~Grant
Oct. 4, 2010, 02:25 PM
Or "Roller Derby" if you have ridden in our indoor on a busy night!

mp
Oct. 4, 2010, 02:47 PM
Since we already crank, spank, rollkur, LDR, bute to the max, make our horses bleed in the mouth, use max metal, wack our horses in the head, use two too-long whips, wear spurs, tie our horse's heads to our knees- I think we have it all covered! :rolleyes:

So to all of you that:

Hate any top rider that might put their horses deep, LDR or in Rollkur or even slighly behind the bit
Have never ridden at a recognized show, or have only done so at 2nd level or below yet somehow have the knowledge/experience to critque a WEG horse/rider combo
Have no sense of humor

Go start your own topic and chat amongst yourselves...That way I know who to put on my ignore list.

I think my ignore list grew by at least 25% during WEG. ;)

My instructor didn't go, but she watched a lot of it and emailed me links to videos of her favorite rides. We're going to the regional championships this weekend (I'm not riding, just helping a friend). So I'm sure she'll have all sorts of ideas about how to get my horse and me to "be the best we can be." :p

ginger708
Oct. 4, 2010, 03:05 PM
ginger708, by "kicks it up a notch" do you mean "practices dodging thrown chairs"?

; - )

Chairs?! do tell Gary has never thrown chairs at our place. But a very stern instructor indeed. I am still working up the courage to ride with him. I just audited the last clinic.

ginger708
Oct. 4, 2010, 03:07 PM
Or "Roller Derby" if you have ridden in our indoor on a busy night!

It's good to hear that busy barns are the same everywhere. There is a reason that I like the big horses. They make good blockers:lol:.

netg
Oct. 4, 2010, 03:12 PM

I wouldn't let her go without me going to watch! Hooray for being driving distance from there...

I'm more afraid for the eventers when my trainer gets back from WEG. The things she's going to have them jump...

katarine
Oct. 4, 2010, 03:29 PM
My horse has a broken splint bone. I think we'll worry about WEG, later.

Gallop~on~Grant
Oct. 4, 2010, 04:11 PM
It's good to hear that busy barns are the same everywhere. There is a reason that I like the big horses. They make good blockers:lol:.

I put pony directly behind the biggest horse in the arena! Warmblood shield of protection!

Gallop~on~Grant
Oct. 4, 2010, 04:14 PM

So sorry to hear about your horse! Hope he heals quickly! I love your signature by the way!

Wayside
Oct. 4, 2010, 04:27 PM
I'm thrilled. After farm sitting for a little over a week while she went to WEG, I have no board to pay this month :winkgrin: Plus she and her husband brought me back a beautiful Quillen lead shank.

And my riding mare is laid up with a torn suspensory, green mare got a puncture wound and just lost an eye. Wonderful trainer loaned me an open brood mare to ride while my mares are healing up, but she's still really out of shape from not having been ridden for 2+ years, so our rides are still only maybe 20 minutes of very light work.

BetterOffRed
Oct. 4, 2010, 04:36 PM
To Katarine and Wayside, so sorry about your horses.

But if y'all need some entertainment, make your way down to Texas. Just bring your own cocktails! We will be needing all the liquid courage we can get our hands on! ;)

atr
Oct. 4, 2010, 04:37 PM

Damn, how did that happen? Best wishes for a rapid and uneventful recovery.

BetterOffRed
Oct. 4, 2010, 04:38 PM
I put pony directly behind the biggest horse in the arena! Warmblood shield of protection!

Hey!?! My horse resembles that remark! :lol:

katarine
Oct. 4, 2010, 04:39 PM
Thank you BetterOffRed...my point is my dressage concerns about my future are a lot closer to home than whatever is happening in Kentucky. I would imagine many or most of the regulars on this forum share my level of concerns. Or should I say, they should, LOL.

BetterOffRed
Oct. 4, 2010, 04:41 PM
Thank you BetterOffRed...my point is my dressage concerns about my future are a lot closer to home than whatever is happening in Kentucky. I would imagine many or most of the regulars on this forum share my level of concerns. Or should I say, they should, LOL.

Very much in agreement.

katarine
Oct. 4, 2010, 04:43 PM
Damn, how did that happen? Best wishes for a rapid and uneventful recovery.

Playing in the pasture. The Friday before Labor Day he came in with a slight cut just below his RH chestnut. Sound, no puffiness. By Monday it looked like a tree trunk. We've been fiddling with it ever since. Xrays nearly two weeks ago confirmed the top of that splint bone was cleanly broken off. 5 days in an elasticon/cling film/voodoo juice wrap seems to have provided the needed stability to MAYBE knit it down a little. He's been nekked since Tuesday, sound, clean legged, happy. Vet will recheck today and if all continues apace, repeat xrays in 4-6 weeks and verify he really did heal.

Or it'll blow up and we'll go to whittlin' on it:no:

Wayside
Oct. 4, 2010, 05:00 PM
To Katarine and Wayside, so sorry about your horses.

But if y'all need some entertainment, make your way down to Texas. Just bring your own cocktails! We will be needing all the liquid courage we can get our hands on! ;)

Thanks! :lol:

Hope your x-rays give you good news Katarine. I think (knock on wood) my girls are headed in the right direction, but they still won't be up for any serious instruction for quite a while.

I think I spent my travel budget on vet bills, but I'd be glad to live vicariously through some stories from Texas. If you can remember what transpired after a strong dose of liquid courage, that is :lol:

ASBnTX
Oct. 4, 2010, 05:16 PM
Not to derail (well sort of), but who all is going to the Steffen Peters clinic? I'm debating on auditing, but am afraid it will be all GP riders with issues WAY over my head :)

BetterOffRed
Oct. 4, 2010, 05:32 PM
Here are the riders and their horses:

Anthea Kin of South Mounds, OK riding Wolkenwand

Mimi Burch of Elkhart, TX riding Omen

Anna Burtell of Houston, TX riding Valentino

Rebekah Wesatzke of Houston, TX riding G Sharp

Sue Malone Casey of Highland Village, TX riding Elle

Karsten Meyer of Plain Dealing, LA riding Neferhotep

Lyndon Rife of McKinney, TX riding Rembrandt

There are going to be some nice horses there. My experience with clinics at this caliber of riding is that there is always something to learn, and it is inspiring to see horses improve within minutes. Even if you can't apply it immediately, a little nugget of information will stick with you that you will remember later on when you need it. Besides, I would like to breathe the same air as Stiffen Peters, maybe it will help fix my trot half passes to the left.

(Just want to add that I am in no way associated with this clinic...just an auditer like everybody else!)

Calamber
Oct. 4, 2010, 06:43 PM

So to all of you that:

Have no sense of humor

Just a tad defensive are we? I know, only the dressage queens should speak to one another, sorry to ruin the polite discussions but this reminds me of a famous saying.

"Boston the land of the bean and the cod, where the Cabots talk only to the Lodges and the Lodges talk only to God."

Back to the regularly scheduled, self admiring, idol worshipping show.

BetterOffRed
Oct. 4, 2010, 08:33 PM
Thanks for stepping up Calamber and helping me increase my Ignore list!:winkgrin::p!:winkgrin::p

esdressage
Oct. 4, 2010, 08:43 PM
My trainer, along with the barn owner and several boarders all went. I can't wait to see them all come back and ride with that amazing inspiration! My instructor is Dutch (and proud of it!) so I know she's going to be beaming after the team gold!!!

I have a couple of months to go until I'm back in the saddle (pregnancy) so I think I'm going to be safe, happily watching from the rail :)

Gallop~on~Grant
Oct. 4, 2010, 09:11 PM
Snort! I just fell out of my chair laughing!!! That was classic!

ginger708
Oct. 4, 2010, 09:20 PM
Just a tad defensive are we? I know, only the dressage queens should speak to one another, sorry to ruin the polite discussions but this reminds me of a famous saying.

"Boston the land of the bean and the cod, where the Cabots talk only to the Lodges and the Lodges talk only to God."

Back to the regularly scheduled, self admiring, idol worshipping show.

Please enlighten me? Why are we not allowed to have a light hearted fun conversation without people pushing their over conjectured agenda that some of us are tired of hearing about. We get it you people hate riders that train to be competitive and you want to set our horses free to the land of Oats, Honey and Lolly pops. I for one have enjoyed the humor and poking fun of myself and fellow Dressage Queens.

Long Live The Queens:p

ginger708
Oct. 4, 2010, 09:23 PM

I don't mind if ponies hide behind my wb's butt. Lord Knows mine and his butt is big enough.:lol:

quietann
Oct. 4, 2010, 09:26 PM

Heh. On today's hack, the by-my-standards-big (16.1 hands, built like a brick house) WB mare I was riding used a 12.3 hand Icelandic horse as a shield of protection! The Icey walks faster than any "big horse" at the barn.

ginger708
Oct. 4, 2010, 09:29 PM
Trails are an entirely different story. And my horse is convinced that Icelandic ponies eat warm bloods.

leilatigress
Oct. 5, 2010, 09:06 AM
*Limps in and gingerly sits down* Oh yeah torture has commenced. My trainer is still at WEG but the other trainer in the barn is here. Evidently A&B emailed about my new schedule and training plan. All I said was I wanted to ride Training level 1 at the next show which we don't know when it is but its after the first of the year. In the meantime mare and I are in boot camp. OUCH!!! Does it make me feel better I pay for this torture?

OTOH DD is learning to sit the trot *evil smile* I can sit the trot and actually look decent doing it. DD's bony butt has no cushion and Pony is not merciful to the non-sitting. Add the saddle is not cushioned much and yeah she's feeling the burn too. I love paying to watch this torture, especially when her little butt is doing the perfect two point while bemoaning mom to "Get it right mom jeeze its really easy."

pintopiaffe
Oct. 5, 2010, 12:56 PM
I'm the teacher.

I can tell you that some of the dressage has me COMPLETELY inspired (the Brit! Fuego! etc.)

But I am also completely inspired by folks like Stacey Westfall and Tommy Turvey and the folks doing demos with balloons and waving/flapping/noisey things etc.

There is NO REASON for a horse to spook at a dressage letter. :p

Lookout students and training horses!!! <evilgrin>

BetterOffRed
Oct. 5, 2010, 01:13 PM
But I am also completely inspired by folks like Stacey Westfall and Tommy Turvey and the folks doing demos with balloons and waving/flapping/noisey things etc.

The big evil BWP is not skeered of letters or balloons or trailers or stuff on the ground....he's only skeered of those big plastic tarp picnic tents that that vendors use and that show staff sometimes park judges or video people under.

Did they give you any times for that???? Inquiring minds want to know!

Calamber
Oct. 5, 2010, 01:19 PM
Please enlighten me? Why are we not allowed to have a light hearted fun conversation without people pushing their over conjectured agenda that some of us are tired of hearing about. We get it you people hate riders that train to be competitive and you want to set our horses free to the land of Oats, Honey and Lolly pops. I for one have enjoyed the humor and poking fun of myself and fellow Dressage Queens.

Long Live The Queens:p

If only it were lighthearted and less of the childishness that goes with the territory. Being a US citizen, not so fond of queens of any variety. So, is that lighthearted enough for you? I guess you didn't like my attempt at lighthearted humor either. Do you know who the Cabots and Lodges are btw? For your edification I might tell you that I was a competitive racing groom, so no, not the land of oats and honey, they are set free though. Gasp, out in the fields and they run full bore just like horses can and should. I can enjoy many disciplines no thanks to the queens, the lords, dukes, or any of the other "class" who believes in entitlements. Can you even hear yourself? ("you people" good god).

My husband sometimes accuses me of being a Prussian Princess but I do not think that is a complement.:)

Calamber
Oct. 5, 2010, 01:31 PM
Thanks for stepping up Calamber and helping me increase my Ignore list!:winkgrin::p!:winkgrin::p

Happy to help you keep with your chosen people, birds of a feather and all that.;)

Gallop~on~Grant
Oct. 5, 2010, 03:09 PM
The sky is soooo bloooo today....

ginger708
Oct. 5, 2010, 04:32 PM
If only it were lighthearted and less of the childishness that goes with the territory. Being a US citizen, not so fond of queens of any variety. So, is that lighthearted enough for you? I guess you didn't like my attempt at lighthearted humor either. Do you know who the Cabots and Lodges are btw? For your edification I might tell you that I was a competitive racing groom, so no, not the land of oats and honey, they are set free though. Gasp, out in the fields and they run full bore just like horses can and should. I can enjoy many disciplines no thanks to the queens, the lords, dukes, or any of the other "class" who believes in entitlements. Can you even hear yourself? ("you people" good god).

My husband sometimes accuses me of being a Prussian Princess but I do not think that is a complement.:)

:rolleyes:

Blkarab
Oct. 5, 2010, 04:58 PM
I love this thread...as the title was running through my head as I sat there and watched WEG with my trainer, and heard all her comments about the horses and riders...been a little nervous to schedule my lesson for the week, lol.

Where is the Steffan clinic being held? A couple of the riders listed are from my area.

BetterOffRed
Oct. 5, 2010, 05:02 PM
Blkarab, the clinic in the Dallas area is being held Oct. 16-17 @ Valhalla Farms in Aubrey.

Check out the info on www.Lyndonrifedressage.com.

Go Fish
Oct. 5, 2010, 05:27 PM

So to all of you that:

Have no sense of humor

:lol:

ThreeFigs
Oct. 6, 2010, 03:02 PM
Oh, yeah, ignore list. Must update.

Bluey
Oct. 6, 2010, 05:28 PM

Now, anyone knows what a "competitive racing groom" may be?;)

12 years running horses in race tracks and I never heard that one.:confused:

Eye in the Sky
Oct. 6, 2010, 06:19 PM
This brings back painful memories of my trainer working out her anger issues from a George Morris clinic on us poor souls. No stirrups for an entire year!!:eek:

To this day, when I get really frustrated with someone, I find myself muttering "I'm gonna make you ride with no stirrups". They always look at me sideways, since I don't work in a barn or with horses. :lol:

I wish all of you with trainers that got a wild hair up their butt from attending WEG the very best :) I hope your medicine cabinet is stocked with the good stuff. ;)

ThreeFigs
Oct. 6, 2010, 09:12 PM
Bluey, didn't you know they have competitions for Racing Grooms? I don't know if they are judged on speed or the quality of grooming or both, but it may be an Olympic demostration event before too long.

It's all the rage.

Gallop~on~Grant
Oct. 6, 2010, 11:32 PM
I enjoyed listening to the beat down from a distance!!! Maybe
I can forge the date on my doctors note and get another week
Off! I suppose I need to start the squats and crunches now!!!

Bluey
Oct. 7, 2010, 12:51 AM
Bluey, didn't you know they have competitions for Racing Grooms? I don't know if they are judged on speed or the quality of grooming or both, but it may be an Olympic demostration event before too long.

It's all the rage.

Oh, I guess that I have been gone from the track too long.
No telling what all they are up to now.;)

dressagenoir
Oct. 8, 2010, 03:13 PM

So to all of you that:

Have no sense of humor

bwhahahah