PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas for what to get jr as a "congratulations" gift?

alterknowbetter
Oct. 4, 2010, 11:54 AM
I would like to get a "Congratulations" gift for a junior rider who just earned a ribbon at a medal final.

I do not know this kid well other than seeing her at shows - I don't know her favorites of anything. However, she was stabled next to us at this particular final and was very helpful to us.

As a thank you for her generosity and a congratulations on her ribbon, I would like to send her something. Any ideas what to give her? She's been doing the "better" A's and finals for years, so she doesn't need anything horse related I don't expect. Maybe a gift certificate? But to what or where?

Ideas greatly appreciated!

And if it makes a difference, I was thinking in the $50-$100 range. Does that sound okay?

myalter1
Oct. 4, 2010, 11:57 AM
I think that sounds quite generous and nice especially if you don't know her that well. I always think an Amex gift card is nice b/c then she can use it wherever she wants for whatever she wants.
JMO

KayPink
Oct. 4, 2010, 12:12 PM
Or perhaps a gift certificate to a large, accessible department store like Macy's, Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, etc? Or an online site like Amazon?

alterknowbetter
Oct. 4, 2010, 12:18 PM
I think that sounds quite generous and nice especially if you don't know her that well. I always think an Amex gift card is nice b/c then she can use it wherever she wants for whatever she wants.
JMO

No, we really don't know her well. We've seen her at shows and all but that's been about it until this weekend.

She seems like she a quiet/shy/keep to herself kind of kid. But she was very kind and helpful to our "newbie" finals rider this weekend.

I just think that so often teenagers (and often priviledged teenagers) are put down for their attitudes and behaviors that I thought this seemingly good kid should be rewarded for her great attitude and behavior.

Love the Amex Card idea! Thanks!

myalter1
Oct. 4, 2010, 12:43 PM
you're welcome! I love hearing stories like this! It renews my faith in people.

headsupheelsdown
Oct. 4, 2010, 01:14 PM
I love the Amex card idea also!

And you are really nice to make such a gesture to reward her kind treatment to others! I really wish more people would do stuff like this... it would also encourage good sportsmanship!

Sometimes I think that gift cards are impersonal, but in this case it is a really appropriate thing to do since you don't know the girl well, and can't give her a card to her favorite tack store or anything. And she can virtualy use it anywhere- AND split it between two or three stores if she likes! Imagine the fun she will have!!

Perhaps put it in a really nice horse-themed card?

EmJ628
Oct. 4, 2010, 03:02 PM
An i-Tunes card.... my younger brothers often get these for gifts and they always get used :-)

Oct. 4, 2010, 09:17 PM
That's really sweet!! I'd recommend an Amazon gift certificate, since you can buy just about anything on Amazon, and there are no gift card fees.

See Made You Luke
Oct. 4, 2010, 09:44 PM
Maybe talk to the photographer to see if she purchased a photo and if there is a really nice one purchase it for her and frame it

JackieBlue
Oct. 4, 2010, 09:49 PM
A gift certificate to have a favorite horse or horses' tail hair made into a one of a kind keepsake? It only takes a bunch of tail hairs about as thick around as a pencil that can be obtained while leaving the tail in show condition to make a bracelet, necklace or key chain.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/tailsofglory

4Hunters
Oct. 5, 2010, 08:25 AM
Check out www.deuxchevauxproducts.com. We make beautiful leather and silk cases in which to keep your ratcatcher collars. Much nicer than a ziploc baggie, and she will always know where they are.

LML
Oct. 5, 2010, 09:49 AM
why not a gift certificate for the show photographer? I always like getting a photo from the show, but its always last on my list, and often gets forgotten, maybe if I had a gift certificate from there i'd be more likely to get a nice keepsake from the show.

pinkme
Oct. 5, 2010, 07:18 PM
I agree with the photo or gift certificate for a photo!