PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about CWD

hellerkm
Oct. 4, 2010, 08:25 AM
The GOOD the BAD the UGLY, I want to hear it all! These are high on my list for DD and the rep is coming out to fit her. Let me know what you think.

Justice
Oct. 4, 2010, 08:30 AM
I have an SEO 2 and I love it. I am still breaking it in, and it's better every time I ride in it. Highly recommend.

supershorty628
Oct. 4, 2010, 09:09 AM
I love my CWD. It's gone through a lot (including ridiculous amounts of rain -- thank you, Saugerties) and looks and feels great.

I have had some trouble in the past with customer service, but it has always gotten resolved. I have CWD stirrup leathers and I wore through the first pair in a few years - they were still functional but the leather had peeled up and didn't look great.

Overall, I love CWDs!

Treasmare2
Oct. 4, 2010, 10:25 AM
Also breaking in my SEO2 and it is lovely. Has taken me seven years to find a saddle to fit my difficult to fit horse horse. CWD got it right the very first try and spent time discussing my needs and send me a trail saddle to use before we put in my order. The one I have arrived before I expected it and is breaking in as the most beautiful and comfortable saddle ever. I rate CWD the best.

klmck63
Oct. 4, 2010, 11:06 AM
I have an SEO1 that I bought used, lovely saddle and still in great condition. Fits both me and my horse excellently.

BAC
Oct. 4, 2010, 11:55 AM
I love mine, have the SE01 (flat seat), its 5 years old now and I'm still using the same leathers too which are in excellent shape. Of course, I don't do the jumping that Supershorty does either. ;)

I have had nothing but great customer service from CWD and highly recommend them.

whatnow
Oct. 4, 2010, 12:51 PM
The saddles are much more custom than the other upper end saddles on the market. They do a lot of different paddings depending on how you ride and your horse.

I found them to be quite well made and comfortable. From my experience with the reps, they have been very knowledgeable and willing to help find something that works.

The saddles seem to wear really well too.

If you are trying to find a used one, it is difficult as they really are custom saddles so it is hard to find exactly what you need and want used.

Anyplace Farm
Oct. 4, 2010, 01:52 PM
The first CWD I saw up close was supershorty's and I liked it. For those who mention all of the custom work - how was this done? Does a rep come to your barn to fit your horse?

supershorty628
Oct. 4, 2010, 02:02 PM
I love mine, have the SE01 (flat seat), its 5 years old now and I'm still using the same leathers too which are in excellent shape. Of course, I don't do the jumping that Supershorty does either. ;)

I have had nothing but great customer service from CWD and highly recommend them.

Honestly, I think I hastened the demise of my stirrup leathers by falling off rather dramatically (plus the many soakings they got showing at HITS) - I essentially shredded the outer layer of leather on my way down. ...I'm awesome? Haha! The rest of the saddle has held up beautifully.

whatnow
Oct. 4, 2010, 08:37 PM
The rep will come to your barn or meet you at a show. If you've seen the panels of the CWDs and all of the numbers you'd see that they really tweak the saddles to fit both the riders and the horses.

If you ride a bunch of horses, they do have a professional fit (for lack of a better term) which is what fits most horses. At least that is how the rep explained it to me.

The demos which she had were pretty different in terms of how they sat on a horse and in turn how that made the rider sit.

I found the reps to be quite knowledgeable, helpful and patient.

Fun Size
Oct. 4, 2010, 09:51 PM
I have an SE02 that I just purchased this summer. The rep comes out with some demos, measures the horse, then orders based on what the horse + rider needs.

My trainer was on hand and had some directions about my weak points and how the saddle could be built to help me.

I LOVE it! It seems to just get better and better. :D

kkmggn
Oct. 5, 2010, 06:08 PM
i loveeeee my cwd. deff get one

doublesstable
Oct. 5, 2010, 07:52 PM
Deleted

Anyplace Farm
Oct. 6, 2010, 10:23 AM
This is a French-made saddle, right? Was weird to look at their site to see how few top European riders used their saddle but impressive how many top US riders do.

I wonder what saddle(s) is(are) most widely-used in Europe?

SunflowerMeadowsFarm
Oct. 6, 2010, 11:54 AM
Loveeee loveeeee loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee the CWD's! I don't own one, as I'm horseless at the moment. But I rode with a trainer who only owned CWD's for a little while and I was just so comfortable in those saddles! I also have a hard time finding a saddle that fits me well, I'm like 9 feet of legs and for a while everyone was telling me you're gonna have to go custom to find something you really love and are comfortable in (maybe just because they were sick of my whining!), but I found that in a CWD! :)

I could also sit in that saddle for several rides and still be comfortable! I have 0 complaints about them!

I can't comment on the leathers, his were always in great shape, but I couldn't tell you how old they were or how often they were replaced.

wanderlust
Oct. 6, 2010, 12:08 PM
I also have a hard time finding a saddle that fits me well, I'm like 9 feet of legs and for a while everyone was telling me you're gonna have to go custom to find something you really love and are comfortable in (maybe just because they were sick of my whining!), but I found that in a CWD! :)
CWD *is* a custom saddle, so it is likely that the one you were riding in was made for someone with longer legs. Just saying.

doublesstable
Oct. 6, 2010, 03:44 PM
CWD *is* a custom saddle, so it is likely that the one you were riding in was made for someone with longer legs. Just saying.

Deleted

Silk
Oct. 6, 2010, 04:34 PM
To the OP...is this CWD purchase for your 6 year old daughter...the pony kid?

MILOUTE55
Oct. 6, 2010, 05:51 PM
This is a French-made saddle, right? Was weird to look at their site to see how few top European riders used their saddle but impressive how many top US riders do.

I wonder what saddle(s) is(are) most widely-used in Europe?

Actually the list of European top riders riding in CWD saddles is pretty impressive:
French rider Kevin Staut is #1 on the FEI jumping list right now... swedish Rofl-Goran Bengtsson is #5, and Swiss Steve Guerdat #12 right before McLain and the list goes on...

http://www.fei.org/sites/default/files/file/DISCIPLINES/JUMPING/S_rankings_117.pdf

hellerkm
Oct. 6, 2010, 06:35 PM
To the OP...is this CWD purchase for your 6 year old daughter...the pony kid?

LOL no my 14 yr old, I hope my pony kid rides ponies for a very long time and is not 5'9" and 100 lbs LOL! I think my older daughter is close to done growing so we are looking for a saddle that she will use for a long time. Her grand parents are willing to make this investment now to help her out.

SunflowerMeadowsFarm
Oct. 6, 2010, 11:26 PM

I did realize they had a lot of options but had never seen a fitting, that's good to know! When the time comes to purchase I definitely hope to have myself in one of these! :)