PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone tell me about the well known hunter from the 90's, Knee Deep?

paigepunky
Oct. 4, 2010, 12:24 AM
Looking for information or images on Knee Deep. He's retired, 24 yrs old, and was given to me. He's a very special boy and I'm very interested in his history if anyone can help. Thanks!

Ssporthorses
Oct. 4, 2010, 03:23 AM
Hey,

I don't know much about the horse, but I do recall Bobbie Reber talking about him at a clinic (Don't quote me but she had some involvement with his training?)
I don't have contact information but apparently she operates Reber Ridge Stables at Milner Downs

MumboJumbo
Oct. 4, 2010, 10:47 AM
Is the horse from the US or Canada?

MHM
Oct. 4, 2010, 11:06 AM
I remember seeing him show in the US, mostly at Indoors, in (I think) the junior hunter division.

Very nice horse. Glad to hear he has a nice retirement home with somebody who appreciates him. :)

paigepunky
Oct. 4, 2010, 12:55 PM
He is from Canada. He is such a sweet and special boy...so gentle and friendly and of course still very fancy and a beautiful mover. I'm so proud to call him mine. Thanks for any input you have:)

MumboJumbo
Oct. 4, 2010, 01:03 PM
I know the girl who used to own the Canadian Knee Deep. He's a grey?

MHM
Oct. 4, 2010, 01:08 PM

The Knee Deep I remember was chestnut with a white face and four high socks.

paigepunky
Oct. 4, 2010, 01:14 PM
Chewy is his barn name...he's chestnut with 3 socks and a blaze. He had an eye removed because of complications with moon blindness years ago.

lyrical
Oct. 4, 2010, 01:34 PM
Didn't the Kennedy girl show him in the junior hunters in the mid to late 90"s? I remember him as super fancy over fences and with those white socks up front, he was such an eye catcher! Glad to know he has a good home. He earned it!

Limerick
Oct. 4, 2010, 02:01 PM
I'm almost positive there is a
photo of Knee Deep in Randy Roy's book Made In Canada. I lost the book a few years ago but someone here may have a copy and be able to scan it.

STA
Oct. 4, 2010, 03:00 PM
I think a rider with Heritage had a Knee Deep - maybe Mary Daly Pattee?

paigepunky
Oct. 4, 2010, 06:06 PM
Wow! A picture of him would be amazing! I have never seen him with both eyes. If anyone could help with that, I'd be so appreciative. I want something to hang in my barn:) Yes, I've read that Kennedy Prentiss rode him, as well as Mary Daily Pattee...but can't find any pictures online.

DMK
Oct. 4, 2010, 07:13 PM
I thought Knee Deep ended up in Maureen Murphy's barn in GA toward the end of his career, but unfortunately Maureen passed away a few years ago, so I'm not sure that's much help (one of her students rode him)

paigepunky
Oct. 4, 2010, 08:59 PM
Yes, you're exactly right...he was at Maureen's barn and when she passed away, her friend took care of him until I came along. I'm now trying to get my hands on the book by Randy Roy. I want to try to order it online since he writes about my boy. I'm not having any luck with it, though.

BigEqRls
Oct. 4, 2010, 09:24 PM
paigepunky you have a pm

Limerick
Oct. 4, 2010, 10:32 PM
PP, I don't think Randy does write about your boy. The book is about horses and ponies that sold from Canada to the US. I'm quite sure Knee Deep's photo is included, along with many others, of successful Canucks. :)

paigepunky
Oct. 4, 2010, 10:51 PM
oh ok, thanks for the info...wishful thinking I guess!

Small Change
Oct. 5, 2010, 09:26 AM
I just leafed through Randy Roy's other three books, and didn't see Knee Deep in there. The only one of his collection that I don't have is Made in Canada.

paigepunky
Oct. 5, 2010, 10:14 AM
thanks for checking! I saw the book on ebay...I'll probably buy it today.

GreystoneKC
Oct. 5, 2010, 10:49 AM
I used to show against Knee Deep in the Juniors in the '90s... It would have been in the '94-'96 range. Big chestnut with 3 or 4 huge stockings, a white face, and I think a maybe a splotch on his belly? When I showed against him he was with Mary Dailee Pattie (sp, sorry I think that is really wrong), but I vaguely remember her buying him from someone towards the beginning of those years - he already WAS a horse before she had him. I remember him well as he was one of my favourites that I showed against and, while I'm not sure I would even know where to begin to look, I probably have photos of him somewhere because he was also one of my mother's faves and she would take pictures of him. Beautiful horse, great jump. Glad to know he's got a happy life somewhere.

17hTBmare
Oct. 5, 2010, 11:04 AM
I so remember him! Lovely mover, great jumper, fantastic relaxed consistant rythm. I lusted after him, and my trainer asked Knee Deep's trainer, just for fun, how much, and the other trainer said "You don't even want to know." Even back in the early '90s, he was a quarter of a mil.

paigepunky
Oct. 5, 2010, 03:50 PM
Wow! Yep that's him! He's got the little spot on his belly and three socks:) Thank you so much! I love to hear about him from back in the day! Any pictures would be terrific!

keepthelegend
Oct. 5, 2010, 04:28 PM
I think I have a picture....will check!

LJD
Oct. 5, 2010, 08:36 PM
I remember a drool-worthy, full-page, color ad for Knee Deep in COTH. He was always my junior hunter when the barn kids would do a horseless horse show. ;)

dani0303
Oct. 5, 2010, 08:42 PM
Post some recent pics of him please :D

paigepunky
Oct. 5, 2010, 08:59 PM
All of your posts make me so happy! Chewy's been special to me for other reasons, so these stories are the icing on the cake:) I will post updated pictures soon. I've been considering letting my daughter get him back into shape since he's a little chubby now. He was doing childrens a couple of years ago so I think he's capable of jumping around some 2'6 courses in the jr/sr division (local). We may give it a go if he's up to it, but will let the trainer decide for sure.

katherine w
Oct. 5, 2010, 09:36 PM
He started his American career at Quiet Hill Farm under Amanda Hoche who owned him. She did very well and was just starting her junior hunter career. Randy Eckout was her trainer before he joined forces with QHF. His barn name at the time was Caesar because he had a "crouton" in his ear. They never clipped his ears, he hated it!!! She probably sold him in 1993 or 1994.

paigepunky
Oct. 5, 2010, 10:54 PM
Caesar, huh? That's interesting! When I got him, I was told he didn't like his ears clipped. I haven't tried to clip them, but every other week I clean them thoroughly because they itch him, and he LOVES for me to clean them and give a good inner ear massage! Thank you for the info!!

RomeosGirl
Oct. 7, 2010, 08:52 AM
I'm so glad to hear that Chewey has a good home. Someone in our barn had leased him last year for their son. I did get to ride him once & boy was he amazing to jump. You would turn a corner & when he locked onto a fence you could just feel him say "Hey, you, just sit up there - I got this!!!"
I sent you a pm with her email address she would love to hear how he is doing & has some pics of her son with him.

Sing Mia Song
Oct. 7, 2010, 09:58 AM
I so remember him! Lovely mover, great jumper, fantastic relaxed consistant rythm. I lusted after him, and my trainer asked Knee Deep's trainer, just for fun, how much, and the other trainer said "You don't even want to know." Even back in the early '90s, he was a quarter of a mil.

Am I remembering correctly that he was at Holly Hill (http://www.hollyhillstable.com/) at that time?

ahoche
Oct. 24, 2010, 12:46 PM
Paige - I had Knee Deep from 1993-1995 and am thrilled to hear he is in good hands! I would be happy to email some pictures to you. Send me your email address and I'll scan the pictures this week.
--Amanda

IvyHall
Oct. 24, 2010, 02:54 PM
I'm sorry that I don't have any info on him but I do remember showing against him in the junior hunters and I was in LOVE with him.

I'm happy to hear he is retired and happy and I'm sure you feel lucky to have him.

Do you have any recent pictures? My junior hunter is retired too and 23 years old. I love the old guys!

Good luck with your special horse.

spurgirl
Oct. 24, 2010, 03:49 PM
Don't know anything about this horse, but all of the memories you are sharing are wonderful. How nice that this horse has made an impression on so many, AND that in his golden years he has found a wonderful, caring owner, who now knows more about him!!

NorthFaceFarm
Oct. 24, 2010, 10:02 PM
I have a bunch of pics of him from when he was with us (owned Mary Daily and Ashleigh P ). Will see how they come out after scanning. I never jumped him but he sure was fun to hack around when I was a little kid.

SquishTheBunny
Oct. 24, 2010, 11:32 PM

Thats not THE "Knee Deep", The original was (edit to say IS) a very successful hunter. The grey you are thinking of mostly did the B circuit in the hunters and jumpers in Canada...but yes, is also a very cute horse!

paigepunky
Oct. 25, 2010, 02:14 PM
I have a bunch of pics of him from when he was with us (owned Mary Daily and Ashleigh P ). Will see how they come out after scanning. I never jumped him but he sure was fun to hack around when I was a little kid.

Pictures would be great!!! Thank you!!

paigepunky
Oct. 25, 2010, 02:15 PM
I'm sorry that I don't have any info on him but I do remember showing against him in the junior hunters and I was in LOVE with him.

I'm happy to hear he is retired and happy and I'm sure you feel lucky to have him.

Do you have any recent pictures? My junior hunter is retired too and 23 years old. I love the old guys!

Good luck with your special horse.

I will try to post pictures of him tonight! Thank you:)

MHM
Oct. 25, 2010, 02:56 PM
How nice that this horse has made an impression on so many, AND that in his golden years he has found a wonderful, caring owner, who now knows more about him!!

I agree!

It speaks volumes that he was so well regarded at the time, and so well remembered more than 15 years later. :)

Melissa76
Mar. 8, 2012, 11:23 PM
I was actually the original owner of Knee Deep when he was 5 and trained with Bobbie Reber showing in Jr Hunter through out Ontario. I'm so happy to hear he is in a loving place as i was very sad when we sold him.

worth_the_wait08
Mar. 9, 2012, 12:01 AM
For those who are saying they'll email the OP pictures, if it's not too much trouble you could post them here too? If they're personal or private for some reason, please disregard this- I'd just love to see some of these pictures too!

And PP- I'd love to see current pictures as well!

TheHorseProblem
Mar. 10, 2012, 01:34 PM
I was actually the original owner of Knee Deep when he was 5 and trained with Bobbie Reber showing in Jr Hunter through out Ontario. I'm so happy to hear he is in a loving place as i was very sad when we sold him.

Nothing to add here, but this is exactly why I love COTH.:)