PDA

View Full Version : Braiding prices

MT Pockets
Oct. 3, 2010, 11:06 PM
I have been out of the loop for a while and I was wondering what braiding prices are like right now?

HowDoILook
Oct. 3, 2010, 11:11 PM
This summer i paid 50$ for a mane an $35 for a tail. That was up in MA

indygirl2560
Oct. 3, 2010, 11:57 PM
$45 for mane; $30 for tail
in NorCal in June

snaffle635
Oct. 4, 2010, 12:02 AM
$40 - $50 for manes
$30 - $40 for tails

SSacky
Oct. 4, 2010, 12:13 AM
I did 40$ hunter mane, 30$ jumper/dressage mane, 20$tails. I supplied thread but I didn't supply tape for dressage. This was for 'A' and 'B' shows

3DogNight
Oct. 4, 2010, 11:40 AM
Just paid $40 for a mane and $35 for a tail. Pretty typical prices for this area (MI).

ExJumper
Oct. 4, 2010, 03:25 PM
$45 mane, $35 tail.

myalter1
Oct. 4, 2010, 03:25 PM
$80 for mane and fake tail

SimonandGus
Oct. 4, 2010, 03:56 PM
$60 mane and fake tail here too.
$80 mane and tail.

flyracing
Oct. 4, 2010, 09:52 PM
I did 40$ hunter mane, 30$ jumper/dressage mane, 20$tails. I supplied thread but I didn't supply tape for dressage. This was for 'A' and 'B' shows

What county?

I paid $50 this summer in oklahoma, texas and oregon for mane only.

jrzeqrider
Oct. 5, 2010, 11:13 AM
Just paid $50 for a mane in east TN. Boy does that add up at multi-day shows. I think our braider charges $30 or $35 for a tail.

sunray
Oct. 5, 2010, 08:34 PM
Most Braiders keep their prices the same at the bigger shows- usually 45 for mane 35 for tail is the most common as everyone has said- unfortuantely, if you can find it less expensive, your going to get what you pay for

Big_Grey_hunter
Oct. 5, 2010, 08:48 PM
AA/A rated $45-$50 for mains, $35 for tails

Small local shows are a bit cheaper

WBS
Oct. 6, 2010, 02:06 PM
up here in Ontario most braiders are 40 for a mane and only 25 for tail..... I'm thinking us Canadian braiders better up our fee's for next years show season

tamarak_equestrian
Oct. 6, 2010, 03:03 PM
^ I was thinking the same thing lol. I only charge $30 for a mane, but I also usually braid in barn or for friends. I've never had to do a tail because my coach does them herself, but I guess I better figure out a tail price because I think I'm doing some at Royal this year.

Rhyadawn
Oct. 6, 2010, 03:06 PM
This is certainly an eye opener. I thought I was expensive at $30....

alteringwego
Oct. 7, 2010, 09:47 AM
$50 mane and $50 for tail. $30 to hang fake tail.

tamarak_equestrian
Oct. 7, 2010, 10:50 PM
me too! and I don't charge to put in a fake if I'm not braiding the tail.

ssandstr
Oct. 10, 2010, 07:22 PM
I'm $40/mane, $20/tail. Western mass. The pros are $50, but since I work full time and braid on the side I don't have the same availability. That said, people are getting really informal around here - we had two A shows this summer (up here in Northampton - not counting finals and other stuff), and more than half weren't braided at all...

amitkoequine
Oct. 10, 2010, 09:17 PM
Mane braiding: $45
Tail braiding: $25, $30 with a fake
Here in NC

Stellar_moves
Jan. 13, 2011, 09:27 PM
I charge 30$-$40 for manes, but its 40$ at the most.
The going rate in my area (South FL) is anywhere from 50$-75$ without tails... I don't normally do hunter shows, but I've seen tails be done for 30$ or 35$

purplnurpl
Jan. 13, 2011, 09:31 PM

heck ya! Increase your prices. : )
I charge 35 bucks for sew in dressage/jumper braids at HTs in TX. I use the braiding comb to mark my dimensions so many horses only get 10 or so braids.
Takes me abou 30 minutes a horse.

kdriding
Jan. 14, 2011, 10:14 AM
I charge $45 for a mane and $30 for a tail. I will add $5 if I have to hang a fake tail.

That is in MA and when I go to VT.

sarcam02
Jan. 14, 2011, 10:21 AM
$80-$85 for mane - hanging fake tail and braiding tail

KSquared
Apr. 23, 2014, 06:59 PM
I recently watched a braiding video and jokingly posted on my FB that I watched the video and now was an expert braider since I had watched it and now people are actually asking me to come braid!!

I have practiced on my mare and do a decent job and will be doing some on Saturday for a small show. Are these prices still about right for the economy?

I have been asked to come to a 2 day show and do some braiding at the end of the month and would like to have a some costs in mind.

olivertwist96
Apr. 23, 2014, 08:54 PM
$50 mane and $50 for tail. $30 to hang fake tail.

80 bucks total for a tail????? That's highway robbery.

50-55 for a mane and 30-35 for a tail including fake. Lucky for me my horse holds her braids super duper well so I usually just get her mane done on Friday night and get tail done Saturday night for the classic.

vxf111
Apr. 23, 2014, 09:11 PM
80 bucks total for a tail????? That's highway robbery.

50-55 for a mane and 30-35 for a tail including fake. Lucky for me my horse holds her braids super duper well so I usually just get her mane done on Friday night and get tail done Saturday night for the classic.

I read that as $50 OR $30, not both

vxf111
Apr. 23, 2014, 09:12 PM
I'll admit $30 just to HANG a fake seems like a lot!

Ponytoes
Apr. 23, 2014, 09:20 PM
The latest thing I have heard from winter circuit are braiders charging extra if you don't unbraid every day - we now have a jumper - not an issue for us, but if I had a hunter it would be - thoughts?

olivertwist96
Apr. 23, 2014, 09:25 PM
The latest thing I have heard from winter circuit are braiders charging extra if you don't unbraid every day - we now have a jumper - not an issue for us, but if I had a hunter it would be - thoughts?

Absolutely ridiculous is my thought. Why do the braiders get to dictate when you braid? You're the one requesting the service. What if you decide to take a horse home early bcs of injury, etc? Also there are often multiple braiders especially at a huge show like WEF. If you aren't satisfied with one braid job and switch braiders for the remainder of the week/weekend are you going to be charged by the old braider because they didn't braid your horse again?? Doesn't make any sense to me.

twotrudoc
Apr. 23, 2014, 09:30 PM
I charge $45 mane, $20 tail, and $5 to hang a wig. It takes like 30 seconds. Dressage buttons are $30.

I do vary prices, Arab shows can be cheaper because I am a member and I support various clubs, etc. Out of town/nationals type shows can get more expensive but I discuss it with clients first. Most of my clients have been for years so it's pretty easy to communicate.

I also fill in for a couple of the others around here, one in particular charges a set $80 a horse per night, I just braid and say thanks. I think my prices are fair though for the work being done and am not changing to match prices (I know this drives one in particular bonkers but honestly, I am not looking for any of her clients LOL!! I have plenty-and a great day job).

twotrudoc
Apr. 23, 2014, 09:47 PM
I recently watched a braiding video and jokingly posted on my FB that I watched the video and now was an expert braider since I had watched it and now people are actually asking me to come braid!!

I have practiced on my mare and do a decent job and will be doing some on Saturday for a small show. Are these prices still about right for the economy?

I have been asked to come to a 2 day show and do some braiding at the end of the month and would like to have a some costs in mind.

How do your braids look?

janedoe726
Apr. 23, 2014, 09:52 PM

I think it would sell better if they offered to "discount" for multiple days rather than charging more. Still the same idea.

fourmares
Apr. 23, 2014, 10:34 PM

If I was there I think I'd take a page from Jimmy Williams book and roach everything in my barn.

KSquared
Apr. 23, 2014, 10:48 PM
They look pretty good, not too bad if I say so myself. I will get some pictures on Saturday.

I have always gotten great compliments on my horses manes and tails. I have always enjoyed braiding and doing some creative things with long manes, never occurred to me to do it as a job.

woodhillsmanhattan
Apr. 24, 2014, 12:09 AM
I charge $45/mane $25/tail if you pay up front or are an "in barn" customer. It's $50/mane $30/tail if you pay afterwards. I have had so many problems trying to get track people down to get paid that I decided to implement the "discount" prices (I only charged $45 and $25, so really I was adding on $5). It's very annoying to be worrying about getting paid on Sunday before people leave when you are showing your own horse as well! Guess what? It's a lot easier to get paid now! :lol:

I was in Zone 3 when I was braiding. The other braiders charged $50-55/mane and $30/tail. Recently moved to IN so will have to see what the going rate is here before I start braiding.

Alternative1
Apr. 24, 2014, 01:04 AM
$50-55 for mane
$15 to hang a fake tail
$35 to braid tail

RanchoAdobe
Apr. 24, 2014, 02:43 AM
Don't forget travel expenses! Ads $25 to
The total plus 85 for mane and tail in SoCal

Mayaty02
Apr. 24, 2014, 08:07 AM
I'm paying $85 for mane, braid and hang fake tail in Northern Virginia

Dewey
Apr. 24, 2014, 08:35 AM

Yes, I think this is really unreasonable.

vxf111
Apr. 24, 2014, 10:14 AM
Yes, I think this is really unreasonable.

Agree. A discount for pre-paying or frequent use seems very fair to me. A penalty for not braiding enough? Silly...

hunterrider23
Apr. 24, 2014, 11:28 AM
TN-
Mane only- $35
Tail- $60 braid/tie-in, $15 tie-in without braid
We really only braid mane except for A rated division and big classes. If I want the tail braided or mane braided during the week days or lower rated classes, I'll just do it myself or one of the assistant trainers will help me. Generally I don't braid tail for the Children's except for classic day, and I braid the mane for all days, but I've shown in the division on horses and placed well with no braids.

busylady
Apr. 24, 2014, 01:01 PM
Wow, west coast prices seem above average. Two years ago I was paying $50 for a mane and $35 for a tail, plus a flat $25 "expense" charge for the week (what, because yarn is so expensive??). I leave my mane in overnight and after a few shows I started getting charged a "leave in" fee of $30. I refused to pay the "leave in" fee and started braiding myself.

twotrudoc
Apr. 24, 2014, 01:12 PM
Busy, I actually took in a few clients for that same reason. The braider I am on good terms with, she suggested me to the clients. They did not agree with a $35 per show expense fee and also wanted to leave in overnight no charge. Honestly, I don't care what you do (although I do not leave my own horses braids in nightly) and don't expect two day old braids to look as good.

I do do an expense fee for out of town, which for me is anything more than 2 hours. Except Arab, because it is my association and I enjoy going and hanging out. And taking 500 pics of very varied quality :lol:

Midge
Apr. 24, 2014, 01:13 PM
The point of the charging extra if you leave your braids in is because the braider will be short of work the second day. I can braid for the person who braids both days and make $170, or I can braid fro you and make $85. No brainer. Busylady, expense fees are for travel and hotels, obviously.

50ShadesOfHay
Apr. 25, 2014, 02:56 PM
$50 for Manes and $30 for Tails in Virginia at the A and AA shows

findeight
Apr. 25, 2014, 03:03 PM

Huh? How would they know? Or are they having to unbraid and rebraid? That I could understand.

vxf111
Apr. 25, 2014, 03:05 PM
The point of the charging extra if you leave your braids in is because the braider will be short of work the second day. I can braid for the person who braids both days and make $170, or I can braid fro you and make $85. No brainer. Busylady, expense fees are for travel and hotels, obviously.

If you told me you refuse to take clients who only braid every other day, I'd say that's wholly your perogative and I understand that. I personally feel that's a better way to handle the situation, by a longshot.

But charging an extra fee, not for work done but to cover work NOT done, seems inappropriate to me.

Either charge enough that you get by even if clients skip days or tell clients you can't help them if they want to skip days. I feel that's a much better way to handle things.

twotrudoc
Apr. 25, 2014, 03:38 PM
Some people ,ay only show 3 days of a 4 day show for Petes sake. Braiding is a service, not a required income.

I just SO disagree with the whole premise of a fee for nonbraiding.

woodhillsmanhattan
Apr. 25, 2014, 05:07 PM
I don't charge a "leave-in" fee if I was told a head of time that the braids would be left in or I was only hired to braid once. If I was hired to braid and told "Pony will be showing Friday, Saturday, Sunday" I assume I will be re-braiding said pony for Saturday and Sunday. If I show up Friday at 2:00 AM and pony is left braided I get pretty annoyed (I am likely very grumpy by this point). In that case, I WILL charge a cancellation fee of some sort. My "cancellation fee" (in quotes because my fees are hardly as formal as I am describing :lol:) is $5. Because I also show and am around the show the whole day as well, I will charge $5-$15 for "fixes" if just a few braids get rubbed out. But will only do this if I was told AHEAD OF TIME that the braids would be left in. I can only braid so many manes a night (I also show), so whether you re-braid or leave in greatly influences the number of clients I can take on.

twotrudoc
Apr. 25, 2014, 05:25 PM
That makes sense, and I am lucky to have clients who communicate expectations well for the most part.

There are a couple up here who do not allow leave ins. I have no idea if they look to see who is showing what day or what but wow!

Anne
Apr. 25, 2014, 05:26 PM
Huh? How would they know? Or are they having to unbraid and rebraid? That I could understand.

The braider knows because the client tells them, "Oh, Dobbin never touches his braids. You can do him Friday night and then we don't need you for Saturday night."

It's one thing to do that with a mane, with a horse that truly doesn't touch them, but I can't imagine leaving in a tail. I also really think the horses deserve some down time to literally let their hair down and relax.

vxf111
Apr. 25, 2014, 05:47 PM
I don't charge a "leave-in" fee if I was told a head of time that the braids would be left in or I was only hired to braid once. If I was hired to braid and told "Pony will be showing Friday, Saturday, Sunday" I assume I will be re-braiding said pony for Saturday and Sunday. If I show up Friday at 2:00 AM and pony is left braided I get pretty annoyed (I am likely very grumpy by this point). In that case, I WILL charge a cancellation fee of some sort. My "cancellation fee" (in quotes because my fees are hardly as formal as I am describing :lol:) is $5. Because I also show and am around the show the whole day as well, I will charge $5-$15 for "fixes" if just a few braids get rubbed out. But will only do this if I was told AHEAD OF TIME that the braids would be left in. I can only braid so many manes a night (I also show), so whether you re-braid or leave in greatly influences the number of clients I can take on.

I think there is a big difference between someone hiring you for 3 days and then doing the equivalent of cancelling 1 day with no notice and someone who up front only wanted certain days and communicated that. I have NO PROBLEM with someone getting charged extra for doing what is essentially a no notice cancellation.

Midge
Apr. 25, 2014, 07:00 PM
If you told me you refuse to take clients who only braid every other day, I'd say that's wholly your perogative and I understand that. I personally feel that's a better way to handle the situation, by a longshot.

But charging an extra fee, not for work done but to cover work NOT done, seems inappropriate to me.

Either charge enough that you get by even if clients skip days or tell clients you can't help them if they want to skip days. I feel that's a much better way to handle things.

Me personally, I don't do it because I have very few people who want to leave their braids in and I am lazy enough that I don't really care if I have a few less. I figure you bought them, you can do what you want with them. To me, it gets tricky because then what happens if your class is cancelled the second day? Or you or your horse gets sick? What if you only show one day? What if you show in two divisions that cross over?

Technically, there isn't a charge for not braiding the second day, at least among the braiders I know who do it, it's just that one mane is $65.

hype
Apr. 25, 2014, 09:09 PM
Well the braiding prices are high especially if you add in an expense charge. For one day it could be $70 for just a mane ( $25 expense and then $45 mane)

Braiders have a monopoly in my area. One braider basically runs the shows. Even if your barn has a different braider the main braider sets the prices etc.

Not enough people know how to braid and so what can you do?

Braiding is not my favorite activity. I can braid and be respectful for an A show but there are times I can't braid before a class due to time conflicts. So I have to pay to braid. I don't love writing the check but I do love not getting there in the dark to braid for an 8am class.

Braiding prices will keep going up because we have fewer and fewer young kids learning how to braid.

How many of the trainers under forty can braid? Not many. How many trainers over forty can braid? Most of the ones I know can do a respectable job pretty quickly in an emergency.

woodhillsmanhattan
Apr. 26, 2014, 12:52 AM
Should I drop out of grad school and become a braider? 22 years old so it sounds like I would have full reign in no time! ;) it sounds like a fantastic option as I pound away on my thesis proposal on a Friday night. Although my back would probably hate me 20 years later...:lol:

MHM
Apr. 26, 2014, 01:07 AM
Although my back would probably hate me 20 years later...:lol:
It won't take 20 years.

alexis_liberty
Apr. 26, 2014, 02:17 AM
So this is a little off topic but I don't show very much and never at shows where people braid. I'm also not in an area that has people that do the shows where they braid. However I enjoy braiding my horse's mane and tail. I'm not interested in braiding for money. I would, however, like some links to videos or articles or tips on braiding. Could anyone give me a couple?

comingback
Apr. 26, 2014, 07:13 AM
It won't take 20 years.

Isn't that the truth!

enjoytheride
Apr. 26, 2014, 10:27 AM
So this is a little off topic but I don't show very much and never at shows where people braid. I'm also not in an area that has people that do the shows where they braid. However I enjoy braiding my horse's mane and tail. I'm not interested in braiding for money. I would, however, like some links to videos or articles or tips on braiding. Could anyone give me a couple?

I'm sorry, I can't answer any of your questions without first speaking to the Braiding Mafia. Have you tried talking to your local Don? You might have to do a small "job" for your initiation, something easy like drugging someone's pony.

Midge
Apr. 26, 2014, 10:47 AM
I'm sorry, I can't answer any of your questions without first speaking to the Braiding Mafia. Have you tried talking to your local Don? You might have to do a small "job" for your initiation, something easy like drugging someone's pony.

Even if you think you are joking, it is extremely insulting.

GoneAway
Apr. 26, 2014, 11:06 AM

Here you go, great article by COTH:
http://chronofhorse.com/sites/default/files/Beautiful-Braids.pdf

MHM
Apr. 26, 2014, 12:07 PM
Here you go, great article by COTH:
http://chronofhorse.com/sites/default/files/Beautiful-Braids.pdf
That is a very good article.

The Lucky Braids DVD is also very helpful, although it does not cover tails.

twotrudoc
Apr. 26, 2014, 01:32 PM
Get the Lucky Braid video for sure.

The best way to get good is braid 100 then 500 horses ;)

trubandloki
Apr. 28, 2014, 11:01 AM
Although my back would probably hate me 20 years later...:lol:
Not just your back. Your hands too.

twotrudoc
Apr. 28, 2014, 01:14 PM
My hands rarely hurt unless I slice them with yarn in a hurry (I get going and don't vet wrap the outer two when I have more than a few and OUCH!!). Sometimes a general kind of muscle stiffness, usually the first show or two of the year.

I am seeing a remarkable difference between this and last year with stiffness and achiness overall. Last year I was on the gaining side of fatness and no exercise, my whole body would get so stiff and achy, back hurt, water retention, ugh. This year I am on the losing side of fatness and working out regularly, I feel 100% better. Yes, I'm tired after 6+ hours but not hurt, like awful don't want to walk hurt. Of course, the big H/J shows start in a few weeks, those I am usually braiding 10-12 hours. The Nampa show next week might be some long ones too, we will see.

ssandstr
Apr. 28, 2014, 10:49 PM
I work for a professional braider, and this year starting in Ocala and Wellington it's $90 for mane and tail. $5 to hang a fake. Breaks down to 55 and 35. Gas prices are up, lodging is expensive etc.... There is no fee if someone cancels due to whatever reason because there are so many to do that it's not a giant issue. I worked as a flyer-hanging braider for several years and charged 50 and 30, 5 to hang a fake.

If more young people were learning how to braid (and do it well), this would be a whole different world. It's also ridiculously difficult to collect from clients...these people are spending thousands a week to show and yet can't pay their braiding bill on time!!!

twotrudoc
Apr. 29, 2014, 10:14 AM
I actually found a gal who wants to learn, and she has been practicing, she put in some decent forelocks and tails at a show a few weeks ago. We are getting together Saturday to go over buttons and she is going to do some horses at a show next week. Everyone always says how they want to learn but this is the first one who actually does..in I don't know how many years :lol: She is friendly, polite, great at communicating too.